26th Aug 2005, 18:26
Yes.

Jerricho
26th Aug 2005, 18:29
:rolleyes:

Ok, I deserved that.

*Starts again*

Hi everyone.

Has anybody out there ever had acupuncture? Did they feel it was beneficial in the treatment of their particular ailment? Was there an initial consulatation that discussed what was to be done and how it would treat them. Did people like tart1 find it stimulated their funny gland ( :p ) . Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thank you for your time.

tall and tasty
26th Aug 2005, 18:35
Hi

Never had it done to myself but worked with vets and they do do it in the same way as Docs who used to do it on animals and the responses were amazing

Must go to a reputiable practitioner though not cow boys or back street outlets

Have watched it on TV programmes and it seems to work well pin pointing certain aliments

TnT

HowlingWind
26th Aug 2005, 18:35
Had it done a gazillion years ago in an ill-fated attempt to stop smoking. Pretty much a waste of time and money. I don't think the acupuncture had any discernible benefit, certainly not as much as the tranks the doc gave me. As soon as those were gone, I was back on the sticks. Fortunately, I kicked the habit cold turkey a few years later.

I don't doubt that there might be some merit to it, but it'd be worthy of some research into provider credentials/history and likelihood of effectiveness for the given application before taking it on.

flyblue
26th Aug 2005, 18:41
Tried but it didn't work. I know other people who were very satisfied though.

rugmuncher
26th Aug 2005, 18:51
had been suffering from sciatica for a couple of years and been popping all sorts of stuff to counteract it,

was walking past one of those chinese shops that are springing up everywhere now and thought, I'd give it a try.

was sceptical but tried it anyway,

and ?????

well, two years on and after just one sesh, it worked a treat!

my missus even went to the same guy for whiplash treatment and she thought it worked too.

if it really works or if it is just placebo effect, it doesn't matter to me, I feel a whole lot better.

give it a try !

Taildragger55
26th Aug 2005, 19:08
Not suitable for haemophilia, however.

Ozzy
26th Aug 2005, 19:31
But what's yer point Jerricho?:E

Ozzy

GROUNDHOG
26th Aug 2005, 19:39
If it is for a physical problem or injury read on....

I had a serious accident which meant I was wheelchair bound for many months, both heels smashed ( one in eight pieces) and feet broken in several places. Ouch!

The first time I had accupuncture when I got home my ankles swelled up ( expected apparantly) and it scared me rigid but after a few hours the swelling went down and the joints were much much easier to move. The same happened the second and third times but after that each session was progressively less effective.

Would I recommend it? Having been told I would never walk again I tried many things simultaneously so cannot say any particular thing ' repaired' the injuries but am certain the accupuncture played a large part in my near total recovery. I would say certainly try it in this context.

Smeagol
26th Aug 2005, 21:20
Mrs S has had acupuncture treatment for arthritis for a few years now. It works for her. Even used to get it on the NHS in the UK but Dr retired and so is no longer available. He was a fully paid up member of the medical fraternity, said he had no idea why it worked, but conceded that it did work for a good % of patients so used it. Sensible man that!

WG774
26th Aug 2005, 21:30
I stumbled into an acupuncture session by accident (went to see the acupuncturist for another service). Was dubious at first, but found definite benefits. I'm the worst cynic you could meet in terms of my attitude toward "alternative therapies", but acupuncture worked for me.

Try it for yourself - what have you got to lose?

tony draper
26th Aug 2005, 21:31
Better than getting needles stuck in yer bum,get one of they Tems ?? machines they are bloody magic, small plastic box yer hang on yer belt, two pads yer clag on the hurty bit, switch it on, and bobs yer thingy, pain is gone, a word of caution here, make sure you switch said machine on at lowest setting otherwise you will put a large dint in yer ceiling.
Tiz more scientific than this bloody far eastern mumbo jumbo about energy fields or lines of magnetic energy in yer body, load a mystical pseudo scientifical cacky that is.
:rolleyes:

Darth Nigel
26th Aug 2005, 21:44
I'm terrified of having needles stuck in me -- would acupuncture help that???

WG774
26th Aug 2005, 21:53
I'll have to confess that I'm traditionally squeamish about needles, and couldn't ever envisage myself trying acupuncture - however, you barely feel it.

Acupuncture has been recommended to me by 2 qualified GPs, there is definitely a science to it - quackery it ain't.

DishMan
26th Aug 2005, 21:56
Godfather suffered from a neck/upper back conditio that all UK NHS Drs said was "untreatable" and he would simply slowly decline to a fixed "lump" in a wheelchair.

VERY deprssed, he got talking to someone on holidauy in our village who was an expert practioner f acupuncture and was proposed a couple of sesions FOC. He immediately experienced a "loosening" in his back. After a week of treatment he could actually turn slightly. His own doctor said "if it works, I heartilly recommend it 'cos nothing I can do for you will".

So he persisted and regained sigificant mobility. He learnt to self administer as the person who first treated him was from London. (We lived in quiet Cornish fishing village probably closer to paganism than acupuncture.)

Anyway, at 19, I was the victim of severe rugby injury to shoulder. strained ligments etc that doc said would definitely seee me out of action for the remaining 8 weeks of season. With important cup coming up and team relying on me I asked Godfather fo help. After one week f daily treatmen, I was almost as good as new. OK not perfect, but I never would be :E but definitely surprised team mates at training following week.

So, I am 100% in favour of acupuncture, and am happy to confide my body to an art perfectioned over thousands of years of real practice, as opposed to todays, "brand new (minimally tested) super drugs!!!!"

So if yer considering it jerricho, I'ld say GO FOR IT!

BTW bumped into Godfather just six months ago. (23 years on!!) and he's still wearing his neck brace, but otherwise, a far cry rom the "lump in a wheelchair" prediction of the NHS!

Jerricho
26th Aug 2005, 22:18
Thanks people for the input. :ok:

(All apart from Tart1.............. :p )

tall and tasty
26th Aug 2005, 22:28
I'm terrified of having needles stuck in me -- would acupuncture help that???

Darth Nigel that would be helped by hypnosis more so than acupunture

TnT :)

DishMan
26th Aug 2005, 22:29
So u gonna tell us where the needles gonna get stuck J ?

Not that there's a lot of relevance with problem and needle location....my shoulder was sorted with lower back needles :confused:

tart1
26th Aug 2005, 23:12
Sorry Jerricho - have been out since that post!! (Just couldn't resist it!!)

I have had several sessions of acupuncture for different things and, not to put too fine a point on it (!), I found it pretty useless.

I had 2 sessions at a Chinese clinic to treat tennis elbow and I reckon it made it worse. Plus, I had a bruised, swollen elbow afterwards and the treatment itself was excruiciating, which surely can't be right, can it?? :rolleyes:

pulse1
26th Aug 2005, 23:40
A friend of mine suffers from severe hayfever. The drugs that he took made him so drowsy that he couldn't work during the peak hayfever period. As he is self employed this is quite a problem.

He tried acupuncture and has gone through the whole season with no problems. He was actually telling me how good it was while we were sitting on the freshly mown grass of an airfield. He will have to repeat the treatment again next year.

I tried it for back trouble and it seemed to significantly reduce the pain.

Kaptin M
27th Aug 2005, 01:18
Give it a go, Jerricho - you've got nothing to lose.
I assume this is for your erectile dysfunction problem your MIL was telling all and sundry about (imo, I would have assumed that you would have kept problems of that nature fairly confidential :O )
A few small pricks going in, to try to get a bigger one up.

If acupuncture doesn't work, you could always try acquapuncture...."The introduction of water subcutaneously for the relief of pain.", or have one of those pump up thingies inserted.

(I had a course of it a few years ago, it seemed to work.)

Jerricho
27th Aug 2005, 01:53
Kapt, I thought everybody knew.......

I can't go for acupuncture treatment for that simply because there would be confusion over which needle belonged to who.

Hung like the planet Pluto. :\

Kaptin M
27th Aug 2005, 02:05
I was somewhat apprehensive about raising it - but as YOU'VE now brought it up (well tried), have you noticed any improvement since you started wearing those G-strings?

heated ice detector
27th Aug 2005, 02:08
Kaptin M, You should try it for your mid life crisis!

I had acupunture for a football related groin strain, I assumed the doc would put the needles in my ear or shoulder but No, two needles straight into the base of me testes to which he connected two wires into a little electric box, It was like a scene from the Marathon Man, ( "is it safe" ), As the discomfort disapated he would keep turning up the amps until my legs started wobbling uncontrolably, Even the receptionist looked a little uneasy as she kept peering round the door. I kept looking arround for his assistant Igor,
Anyhow it bloody worked although I still could'nt kick a ball straight.
Apart from the electric bit I am still in favour of a type of medicine that has been arround thousands of years as opposed to modern medicine approx five hundred years.