PDA

View Full Version : Arctic Diversion Airports

allwayscold
30th Apr 2001, 19:51
Hi Everyone,
I've seen a lot of people wondering abouts these airports over the past little while. I work out of CYFB (Iqaluit) and have flown many times to BGSF (Sanderstrom Fjord), and yes over the past number of years i have seen many of your aircraft divert here. Well i hope this helps most of you understand the area. Like many other airports around the north we don't have airstairs either that can reach up to the height of the widebodies, where as BGSF does due to the fact SAS has a sked fight into there. As for the runways both are great, nice and long and well kept, CYFB this winter had some problems keeping runway maintainer's so as some of you found out the runway was closed some evenings throughout the winter. As for accomodations there would be plenty if needed summertime might be a bit of a problem as there are lots of tourists who come to the area. As for medical facilities, Iqaluit has a full hospital as does Sonderstrom and CYFB also has a medivac operated if needed. Certainly a good consideration is the winters as it very common to see -35C with a 30 knot wind out of the north, remember the water doesn't even open till mid july. CYFB has an ILS to the most common runway in use and a back course to the other as for BGSF it uses a localizer approach and you use it to circle to the other runway, which i would not recommend to people not familier to the area. I hope this helps you overseas boys understand the area a little bit, i you want to know more feel free to post and i will try my best to answer.

PS: A for the northern lights up here there fantastic, the season is over as we are going 24 hours of daylight, but best place to see them are half way between CYFB (Iqaluit) and CYUX (Hall Beach) also along the northern tip of Quebec just north of CYVP across to Churchill. Cheers.

BOEINGBOY1
30th Apr 2001, 20:45
in my company we are not allowed to use sondrestromford, or iquilat in the planning of en route diversion airfields. iam unsure of the exact reasons, but i bet the high ground and difficult approaches have something to do with it. also sondrestomford has a very low rff catagory overnight (below my company/caa minima) in years gone by, the company could apply for a rff catagory upgrade should we have to rely on sondrestomford for etop's, but since the introduction of our "long range" a/c there is no need. iquilat iam led to beleive has a permenant low or no rff catagory at all status, thus proving iligal and unsafe to use. however should murphy ever raise his ugly head and the unthinkable ever happen, eg, a serios on board fire, or multiple engine malfunction, i wouldn't hessitate to use either. i know this will sound cruel but, for a medical case i would continue to the assigned div airport (possibly goose bay, or keflavik) rather than risk an approach. at the end of the day i also have a responsibility to the other pax, none of whom would thank me for slamming into a mountain, or skidding off the runway in pieces.

------------------
IT'S BETTER TO BE ON THE GROUND, WISHING YOU WERE IN THE AIR - THAN IT IS TO BE IN THE AIR, WISHING YOU WERE ON THE GROUND !

CargoRat2
30th Apr 2001, 22:34
Was in BGSF two weeks ago in a 74F. Nice people up there.

------------------
rgds Rat

BOING
1st May 2001, 04:53
And there BOEINGBOY you have the whole problem with the CRAZY ETOPS/LROPS logic. You are not allowed to use a certain airfield for planning purposes (eg too dangerous) but you are supposed to use it in an emergency, quite possibly with a seriously degraded aeroplane.

Sounds like the chess match in Alice in Woderland!

Sick Squid
1st May 2001, 05:04
This is an excellent topic, Allwayscold, and thank you for taking the time to post it. As an ex-(and future again when the seat become the correct one) ETOPS pilot, any input to help us understand the nature of the fields we nominate as alternates is a big bonus.

However, as this topic doesn't cover the remit of rumour or news for it to remain up here, I'll transfer it. I think Tech Log might be the best destination, in this case. An interesting evolution of this discussion would be referring to what Boing has above... the fact that we only visit you under duress, and that may not be the best time to have to carry out a backourse approach to circle with a strong northerly at an unfamiliar field. It helps to know what facilities there are from a locals point of view, as this often does not tally with what our companies claim.

Welcome,

Sick Squid
Rumours and News Moderator

[This message has been edited by Sick Squid (edited 01 May 2001).]