PDA

View Full Version : What is the world's most disgusting food ?

favourite_gas
26th Aug 2005, 16:31
A friend of mine living in Japan had:

(1) Raw chicken
(2) Squid guts in squid liver sauce

Anyone top that ?

Jerricho
26th Aug 2005, 16:33
What do you call that fruit shite from Indonesia or where ever that smells like the rotting guts of a 5 day old roadkill skunk? Durian or something like that?

Capt.KAOS
26th Aug 2005, 16:34
DURIAN!!

West Coast
26th Aug 2005, 16:36
Poi. If you like the taste of wall paper paste you may think otherwise.

Jerricho
26th Aug 2005, 16:36
Yeah, that's the stuff.

"Shaped like a hedgehog, smells like compost"

BlueDiamond
26th Aug 2005, 16:38
Baloot
(Phillipines) (This is spelled Baloot, Baalut, Baluge, or Balute.)

Half-hatched chicken egg. A baluge is a fifteen- or sixteen-day fertilized chicken egg. Open an egg and pop a sixteen-day-old incomplete chicken foetus into your mouth, complete with partially formed feathers, feet, eyeballs, and blood vessels showing through the translucent skin of the chick. Apparently the bad part is picking the feathers out of your teeth

:yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

Crieff-ite
26th Aug 2005, 16:40
Ex Mrs Crieff-ite once made some coronation chicken for me. I was on the second funny tasting mouthful, when she suddenly realised (and I) that she had forgotten to cook it!!

Me now thinks it was deliberate:yuk:

Jerricho
26th Aug 2005, 16:40
WHAT

You have got to be joking Bluey. Please tell me you are.............

skydriller
26th Aug 2005, 16:42
Marmite ...... definitely not my mate.

favourite_gas
26th Aug 2005, 16:42
Just checked baloot on google. I think you win!

Chacha
26th Aug 2005, 16:43
Haggis/Tripe/Black Pudding! .. Scottish cusine has to be the worst in the world! .. :yuk:

+'ve ROC
26th Aug 2005, 16:43
Durian is the worst SMELLING food there is, granted... but its not to bad to eat.

The worst i've seen is mini-squid with sticks stuck up their jacksie and then barbqued.....uurgh:yuk:

TheFlyingSquirrel
26th Aug 2005, 16:54
Yeah but the arseholes get to wash it down with something worthwhile to take the taste away !

HowlingWind
26th Aug 2005, 17:00
One had fried scorpion once in China. Fortunately, the disgust factor was tempered by the numerous mou tai toasts imbibed prior to its appearance.

One's Chinese mate bought his mum a box of roasted red ants as a gift. How thoughtful. :yuk:

High Wing Drifter
26th Aug 2005, 17:01
That Swedish Herring dish (dish?). It is effectively a bunch of herring caught, stuffed into a barrel and buried for six months, dug back up and then eaten. Putrid, oily and mushy. Can there be anything worse?

Urggghhhhhhhhhhhghhhhhhghhhhh!

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/1416944/posts

Jelly Baby Freak
26th Aug 2005, 17:02
That soggy bread covered reconstituted ‘meat’ with emaciated fries and a dodgy pickled thing
- think it’s called a Big Mac or something like!
:mad:

cyclicmicky
26th Aug 2005, 17:04
Them funny eggs that the chinese have that are all bluey green and marbled...........bloody horrible, ............that baloot looks like a clear winner here thoughhttp://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/wuerg/vomit-smiley-011.gif , it definitely beats durians:suspect:

airship
26th Aug 2005, 17:06
I read that some people in Niger had been reduced to eating leaves from shrubs. That's pretty difficult to stomach, especially when you've just got the one (stomach)...?! :}

SASless
26th Aug 2005, 17:23
Airship,

How much have you contributed to aid relief for Niger?

Crieff-ite
26th Aug 2005, 17:24
Not really a nasty foodstuff this but it was a bloody nightmare at the time:
Out on patrol in the desert in the first gulf, got to our resupply point.....in desperate need of more food and water I hasten to add, only to find out that they had dropped off Dehydrated Arctic ration packs for us!!!!! Just add water!!!

flyblue
26th Aug 2005, 17:29
From the smell, I'd say the larvae fried in honey seen in Seoul :{

Darth Nigel
26th Aug 2005, 17:30
Word of advice -- don't read this thread while eating the Friday Pizza at the office.
:yuk:

Ozzy
26th Aug 2005, 17:30
Kimchee:yuk:

Ozzy

tart1
26th Aug 2005, 17:43
The most disgusting (and distressing) food I ever heard of was a delicacy eaten in some (can't remember where exactly) far-eastern country: the brains sucked out and eaten straight from a live monkey.

I think that this practice may well be illegal now but I heard about it when I was a teenager and I was very sickened and very upset by it. (Still upset actually. :{ :yuk: )

Dead_Heading
26th Aug 2005, 17:44
Bluey ain't joking, I'm afraid, though I was told that they are nice pan fried or cooked in the egg in the ashes of a campfire.

flyblue
26th Aug 2005, 17:58
What's wrong with kimchee??? :confused:

flynverted
26th Aug 2005, 18:04
Vegemite :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

tall and tasty
26th Aug 2005, 18:40
I read this just after I have eaten dinner. Wish I had read it later on now feel:ugh: :yuk: :ugh:

But the worse thing I have ever eaten is a raw fishes eye. Told to open my mouth and swallow with out asking questions and as a trusting 8 year old I did. Almost threw up there and then.

Have tried to eat a chocolate coated ant well attempted to and could not just could not and also offered maggots at the same party. But I know there is worse out there

TnT

chuks
26th Aug 2005, 18:57
There was a holiday German TV show the other night with some Swedes opening a big, round tin of herring, all bulged out with gas. When they made the first incision, 'psst', out came this putrid herring solution, gas-propelled. I stopped watching at that point.

In real life, try tripe, Nigerian style. It smells like dirty socks. And when you try it please post here to tell me what it tastes like, because I couldn't get past the smell!

+'ve ROC
26th Aug 2005, 19:17
I've a mate just got back from travelling in China who told me about that monkey brain thing...

Apparently they have special chairs into which they strap the unfortunate creature, then they remove a disc from the scalp, pour on boiling water and eat.....

Bon Apetit!:yuk: :(

SmilingKnifed
26th Aug 2005, 20:16
Can there be anything worse?

Marmite.

tart1
27th Aug 2005, 00:07
Do you know, this whole thread is making me feel very :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

(Don't mind celery though.)

BernerOH
27th Aug 2005, 00:25
Here in the States we have head cheese. It's basically anything from the head of a pig in gelatin.

FLCH
27th Aug 2005, 00:38
Don't forget Fumunda cheese !!

Fun Police
27th Aug 2005, 02:00
i got to eat spinal cord soup (from a cow) once in mexico. wasn't that bad until i found out what it was. bleck!

No Further Requirements
27th Aug 2005, 02:07
Once ate raw horse in Japan. It was the local specialty where my wife was living (Yamanashi-Ken). It was sliced thinly and dipped in soy sauce. Sounds horrid, but was actually quite tasty.

NFR.

SASless
27th Aug 2005, 02:17
Chuks dear boy....once you have gotten past the smell....you have got it licked! (....or so the big boys have told me! ):E

tinpis
27th Aug 2005, 02:36
Anything served in England.

SASless
27th Aug 2005, 02:41
Not at all...have had some lovely meals in the UK...Bangers and Mash....Fish and Chips with mushy peas.....Steak and Mushroom Pie....Chicken Vindaloo, Mixed Vegetable Bahji, and Steamed Rice...Chicken Tikka to start....spiced papdoms....yum!

Granted the Taco's I served up the other night were killer too!

twilightsglow
27th Aug 2005, 03:58
Them funny eggs that the chinese have that are all bluey green and marbled...........bloody horrible,
Thousand-Year-Old Eggs?

Most fast food is disgusting, plus anything made from this (http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/knudsen2/index.html) or this (http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/knudsen/index.html) cookbook. :yuk: :yuk: Did people really eat this kind of stuff in the 1950s?

ChrisVJ
27th Aug 2005, 06:23
Berner
Thaty "Head Cheese" is commonly called Brawn in Norhtern UK. Used to have it for brekky when we lived there. Do miss it, and black pudding, the stuff we get here just doen't have the same taste.

Tripe now, while Mrs ChrisVJ loves it I just can't get it , or keep it, down!

allan907
27th Aug 2005, 07:22
Here in Oz we have a delicacy which is revered by all. Basically, it consists of any bit of a cow which can't be sold as looking like meat - in other words anuses, nostrils, eyelids, udders etc - minced and put into something called a meat pie.

Oh, and the law says it must have a minimum content of 25% "meat" - so God knows what is in the other 75%.

Jordan D
27th Aug 2005, 08:55
Marmite. I've got to add that to the list. Even if it isn't the worst, its up there.

Jordan

Moogie
27th Aug 2005, 09:18
No, snogging your respective other after he/she/it's eaten marmite-2nd hand marmite-yeuch:yuk:

Conan the Librarian
27th Aug 2005, 13:06
PosROC, that thing with the special chair... Would it work with professional footballers?

Conan

Constable Clipcock
27th Aug 2005, 22:12
50% of whatever's served in a KBR-operated "dining facility" in the Sandbox.

Anything from McDonald's or Taco Bell.

Managed to offend a handful of Hawaiians a few weeks ago when they were passing around a cellophane bag full of some processed, dried globules of what I thought was (query voiced aloud)... dog food. I was informed straightaway it was a local snack product made from Spam.

ww1
27th Aug 2005, 22:36
You know what goes into a hotdog?

Constable Clipcock
27th Aug 2005, 22:48
Yes. "Mechanically separated" generally means the last few shards of soft tissue being removed by some minimum-wage-earner with a hammer and chisel.

Turkish777
28th Aug 2005, 03:29
Tuna-Milkshake........

McGinty
28th Aug 2005, 03:57
About 10 years back, wasn't there a press report about a guy in the eastern US (or was it Canada?) who stole a semi-tailer truck full of frozen meat?

It was later revealed that the truck was full of frozen beef arseholes from a meat packing plant.

I always wondered

1. where were the beef arseholes being trucked to in the first place, and what were they going to be used for?

and

2. what did the thief end up doing with them all? (foodwise, that is. Please do not suggest any of the obvious non-food uses, this thread is bad enough as it is.)

chuks
28th Aug 2005, 09:29
That business with the chair for the monkey and all... the portions would be far too small if you were using professional footballers, I think. It just wouldn't be worth the trouble.

I was once invited to lunch as the charter pilot for a couple of expatriates off to visit a now VVIP, then living in self-exile.

The main course arrived, when a section of goat passed me by with an eye staring at me in a rather accusing way. I conceived a sudden urge for a guided tour of the chicken farm, rather than lunch.

A slight diversion from 'disgusting' to 'life-threatening' but...

The very first Company Christmas Party I attended had fried goat as the entree. Some kindly soul plopped a paper plate with a chunk of fried goat on my lap as I was otherwise occupied getting to grips with a Guinness Stout served at about 30°.

First I tried to carve the goat with the cheap plastic knife, which broke. Hmm, what to do? My fellow guests were all looking on in anticipation to see if I could pass the Fried Goat Test. So I decided to just pop it into my mouth, chew it up and swallow it. Bad move!

It was a mouthful to start with but as I chewed I snapped the various strands of high-tension goat muscle so that it began to expand. I ended up with this chunk of stuff cramming my mouth and everyone looking right at me; no chance to fake a coughing fit and hide the evidence in a napkin, say. It would have been a matter of clawing it out of my maw with both hands and perhaps the use of a Swiss Army Knife. So I swallowed it. Even worse move!

The size of my gullet was just that much smaller than the size of my Christmas treat that I had tears in my eyes as I finally succeeded, after what felt like a half-hour, in forcing this thing down, when it landed like a small stone in my stomach.

'Ah, Captain! You like? I bring you more! Very good, yes?'

'Uuuh, no thanks, Mr Babatunji. I think I just want another glass of stout, please.

My Nigerian career was almost over before it had begun.

From there we went on to such delights as the local version of mashed potato, made of cassava, light blue-grey in colour and alarmingly elastic. Not disgusting as such, but rather frightening to those of delicate disposition. Very reminiscent of one's Kindergarten days, snacking on library paste.

mooguy
3rd Nov 2005, 13:38
I had baluut in boracay in the philippines about 15 years ago.... I was so hungover at the time and my mates gave it to me as a yoke, em....I mean joke........I dont remember what it tasted like as I was so sick everywhere! Never again

effortless
3rd Nov 2005, 13:51
I have only ever turned my nose up at two things. I couldn't bring myself to eat a long buried shark and I'll never ever eat at McDonalds again.

G-CPTN
3rd Nov 2005, 14:41
>Apparently they have special chairs into which they strap the unfortunate creature, then they remove a disc from the scalp, pour on boiling water and eat.....
>PosROC, that thing with the special chair... Would it work with professional footballers?

What would be the point?

planepsycho
3rd Nov 2005, 15:17
I believe the most dusgusting food around my area would be chit'lins....:yuk:

(hog intestines which are boiled clean then battered and fried...sometimes not)

I.R.PIRATE
3rd Nov 2005, 15:33
Not quite the worst, but nasty none the less.
Bokkoms....wind dried whole raw mullet

Solid Rust Twotter
3rd Nov 2005, 15:36
Bokkems?

Good bar snacks.:ok:

Have to agree with Bluey on the baloot thing. Just the sight of the stuff almost initiated a technicolour yodel.:yuk:

I.R.PIRATE
3rd Nov 2005, 16:09
Arrived at a boxing day test match between SA and cant remember who at Newlands in Cape Town. Had a flat tire on the way, and ended up being dismally late, and being greeted with the fullest stadium I've ever seen. Nonetheless, we managed to squeeze ourselves into a tiny patch of grass between the legs of some, and under the armpits of others. My uncle, blase as hell, opened up his cooler box, and extricated a huge foil covered object. On unwrapping it, we were dismayed to see his "smiley"(whole cooked sheeps head), grinning at everyone. He proceeded to pop the eye out, with his finger, and crunched it solidly between his front teeth, letting the juice run down his chin. LEt me tell you, I've never, ever ever,had so much space on the grass at NEwlands again.....

G-CPTN
3rd Nov 2005, 16:21
>Bokkoms....wind dried whole raw mullet

Sounds like a Bombay Duck.
Probably SMELLS like a Bombay Duck.
(Might even taste like a Bombay Duck.)
Does it LOOK like a Bombay Duck?

Solid Rust Twotter
3rd Nov 2005, 16:26
CPTN

Not far off. Just not as long and skinny.

Smiley story reminds me of when we did a para weekend and a camping trip at the opening of a resort that coincided with the hang gliding Nationals. Couldn't get near the braai fire for hang gliding types locking elbows and keeping us out until a loony mate managed to break in and chucked half a pig's head on the grid. Had the place to ourselves in 30 seconds.:} :E

Snorting eggs and oysters has the same effect in restaurants.:ok:

con-pilot
3rd Nov 2005, 16:39
Without a doubt the world’s worse tasting food is by far cauliflower.

I have tried to eat this nasty tasting stuff raw, broiled, boiled, baked, grilled, fried, covered in sauces from hollandaise to various cheese sauces, roasted, sautéed, steamed, barbequed, smoked and any other possible way this crap can be served.

No matter how one tries to disguise the taste, cauliflower always taste like soggy Styrofoam.:yuk:

(Love broccoli though, go figure.):p

ManAtTheBack
3rd Nov 2005, 18:14
Deep Fried Spiders (Large)?

Kratie, Cambodia

G-CPTN
3rd Nov 2005, 18:21
Like THIS:-
http://www.seedsofdoubt.com/daoud/images/iraq-camel-spiders.jpg

RaraAvis
3rd Nov 2005, 19:31
Deep Fried Spiders (Large)?
:{ :{ :{
I just know I'm going to have nightmares... :uhoh:

El Grifo
3rd Nov 2005, 19:50
Dunno 'bout you guys, but over the years, I have had to eat shit several times on this forum :yuk: :bored: :yuk: