PDA

View Full Version : Obnoxious PAXs

Antoninus
26th Aug 2005, 15:22
I haven't seen anything on the matter of obnoxious passengers and since I bear witness they do exist, here's a place where pilots, cabin crews and non-obnoxious passengers will be able to vent their resentment..
Let's do some pax-bashing for a while!!

Here are a few:
-I dunno if this one is true: It's quite late, a flight has been cancelled and there is one single quite overworked young woman at the checking counter doing her best to re-book about one hundred passengers on another flight. People are standing in line quite calmly until an irate gentleman cuts the line and "demands" to be booked since he's a first class passenger.
-"'Don't worry sir, you will be re-booked on that flight but you see I'm alone in here and if you just stand in line..."
-"YOU KNOW WHO I AM?!?!"
At this point she picks up the PA mike and goes: "Is there a doctor around? I have a gentleman here who doesn't know who he is..."
I heard she had a big success with that one.

To the --very cute-- Air France stewardess that whispered to me "thanks a lot" after I forcefully slapped a safety belt on an hysterical 8 year old who absolutely refused to fasten it on take off:
You are very welcome dear. Any time.
The parents didn't dare say anything. I bet they were grateful too. After all, they actually had to live with the little creep.
He was ugly too.

To all the obnoxious passengers who think that they actually can recline their seats in the economy class cabin without regard for the legs of the person behind: You are a bunch of unconsiderate, rude :mad: holes.

To all the passengers that stand up about three milliseconds after touchdown and begin the famous "Great Race to the Exit": What do you want? Jump off an aircraft barreling down a runway at 100 MPH? Why don't you f:mad: ing WAIT UNTIL THE AIRCRAFT HAS COME TO A COMPLETE STOP?

To the passengers who think that the overhead compartiment is for their exclusive use. Well, sorry if I squeezed MY bag into there a bit forcefully. I hope there was nothing breakable in yours...

TFlyguy
26th Aug 2005, 15:57
Sir - I have no idea who you are but ...........

You are welcome on my aircraft ANY day!

Antoninus
26th Aug 2005, 16:02
Tfly,
Well, I am just a non-obnoxious passenger...:D
Would you share a few anecdotes?

iskandra
26th Aug 2005, 18:12
I've seen both sides....back in the 1980s, I did an internship with British Caledonian (Those were the days, I spent ages HAND-WRITING baggage tags all day long...), I had loads of "fun" with obnoxious pax even before they boarded their flights....after that experience, I definitely didn't want to work at check-in anymore (It was some kind of school-sponsored internship, I was only 15 at the time).

But during the last few years, I have been telling off people quite often, for the above-mentioned reasons....queue-jumping oh-so-important idiots, inconsiderate :mad: s not wearing seat belts, being nasty to f/as, and my favourite: The Annoyed Pax Whose Flight Got Cancelled Who Declares It's The Check-in Desk's Fault. God, I *love* those....:yuk:

Opssys
26th Aug 2005, 18:15
A very long while ago I was priviledged to see the following.
A football charter was arriving home well off schedule. As the home team had lost, a police presence was on the tarmac.
No Jetty, so mobile steps provided. As the despondent and in some cases obviously drunk lads came down the stairs an Air Hostess was on the top of the stairs bidding them farewell.
Maybe her goodbyes were less than complimentary as one the passengers punched her. Her counter right upper cut was perfect and the passenger went backwards into the other descending passengers. The police turned and faced the otherway and most of us had big grins She completed the offload and went back in the cabin. As we had all suffered from the the behaviour of this club's fans on their way out to match and all day from flights bringing them home to their less than glorious (in everyway) return, it was nice to see even one of them get back what he had dished out!
Of course one cannot condone such behaviour (but....).

These days it is very probable that many of them would have been denied boarding, but in the 70's some airlines were too relaxed about drunks and this airline was desperate for business, I think they folded a couple of months later.

DIH

Middle Seat
26th Aug 2005, 19:52
the most obnoxious involve inconsiderate reclining, coupled with rude retorts for a request to bring it up just a bit. But on my list of obnoxious passengers:

1) Headphone wearers who must be deaf. I don't want to listen to your music. If I did, I'd ask to plug in my headphones to your walkman or laptop

2) Pax who put their extra carryons underneath their seat, rather than underneath the seat in front of them. I held up a purse of the woman in front of me one time, and asked of its ownership. She gruffly informed me that it was to be left under her seat. I retorted that under her seat was the space for MY bag, which I had already installed. I don't know (or care) what she did with the purse.

3) Seat kickers. These are usually in the form of small kids who don't seem to know any better

4) Neglectful parents who let their kids run amuck. (see above)

Thats about it. Most of the 600 or so flights I've been on the last 20 years have been fairly tame.

Final 3 Greens
26th Aug 2005, 20:43
jack_essexGet there first, get on first. Simple as. No it is not. Priority is given by pre-boarding for those who need it, including small kids and older (frail) people amongst others - anyone who expects priority over those people is a selfish oaf.

On one of their sold out flights, this women with 2 small children were the very last pax to get on the plane. quite obviously there were not 3 empty seats next to each other. rather than accept that she was the last one on Seating small kids away from their parents or those in loco parentis is against CAA safety guidelines.

I'd kick up a fuss to protect my kids too. Have you got kids?

In the past I have gladly moved so that kids can be seated next to their parents, its a no brainer to protect the vulnerable in society.

Perhaps the roolz is different in Essex. I'm glad that I live in Hertfordshire.

SyllogismCheck
26th Aug 2005, 20:58
I think the point was that the woman turned up late, delayed the flight and then got on her high horse about not boarding first in spite of that Final 3. Dozy bint! Erm, her, not you. ;)

Captain Airclues
26th Aug 2005, 21:35
We all know that the morning of September 11th 2001 had clear blue skies over New York. However, the previous evening, there were massive thunderstorms that closed JFK. At about 11pm having waited for over three hours in the queue for startup, one of our First class passengers, a wealthy American banker decided that his trip was no longer viable and wanted to get off (he was very polite about it). We lost our place in the queue and eventually got airbourne after midnight.

I have often wondered where that guy worked.....and if he went to work the following morning.

Airclues

Final 3 Greens
27th Aug 2005, 06:18
Syllogism Check

The post says that she said that she should have been let on first - that implies that she was there in time to board first and for whatever reason, did not pre-board.

Unless the post is misleading, I think that she did the right thing in standing up for her kids.

One of the downsides of free seating is that small children are not preallocated seats with their parents and if the pre-boarding is a shambles, these things can happen.

Yes, low cost means low grade of quality, not it should not mean low quality per se and the CAA recommends that familes sit together in the interests of safety.

Had I been on the flight, I would have been pleased to move for the lady and the poster recognises that others took the same view.

If you wish to be very bottom line about it, it sounds as if th e cabin crew did not take charge and deal with the issue.

Jimlad
27th Aug 2005, 10:23
when flying economy I always politely but firmly let the person behind me know my seat is going back on boarding. At least they were warned :)

SyllogismCheck
27th Aug 2005, 11:00
Final 3,

No, actually I take jack_essex saying, 'after delaying the flight anyway' and 'well you were allowed to [pre-board] if you had got to the gate on time!' to imply that she was late and thus not present to be pre boarded. Don't you?

I agree, I wouldn't baulk at moving to allow her to sit with her kids normally. If however she'd delayed the departure of the flight I was travelling on, and then created a scene when she finally turned up, I may be slightly less sympathetic. ie. I'd move to allow her to sit with her kids in order that the flight can get under way, but I'd make quite clear that I was only doing so so as not to allow her to further increse the delay she'd already caused.

The bottom line, as I interpret jacks post, is that she arrived late and then created a scene once the cabin crew had got all the other pax boarded in a normal efficient manner. Had they not I don't suppose this woman would have stck in jacks mind as behaving inconsiderately in an otherwise normal situation.

barry lloyd
27th Aug 2005, 11:01
Most airlines in Europe, even the loco's, have a policy of boarding families with small children first. This is fine as long as the family can be a:mad: d to come to the gate in time for boarding. Frequently they're still in the 'refreshment area' where little Jack or Bethany is screaming their head off, and the parents don't hear the announcement. If I had a pound for every time I've heard 'I didn't hear the call...'. Believe me, it gets tiresome when you're on a 10-hour shift.
People don't help themselves. Of course it's important that a family sits together on the flight, but they in turn should help themselves and the handling staff by paying attention to what's going on around them. I realise they're probably in an unfamiliar environment, but isn't that a good reason for paying attention to what's going on?
If, as a gate agent, or dispatcher you find that, part way through boarding Mr & Mrs Dimm turn up with their brats, then there are phones, radios and legs which will allow you to communicate with the cabin crew to warn them, so that they can make the appropriate arrangements in the cabin, and then there's a good chance the flight might make its' slot, and they will not delay all the other pax by their thoughtlessness.
And while we're on the subject, I think it's about time that someone explained that there is (post 9/11) a considerable amount of paperwork to be completed before a flight can depart, hence the strict adherence to cut-off times at check-in. All the parties concerned have to be certain that the information contained on it is accurate - they are legal documents, and they have to be signed by all the parties. The documentation is also subject to spot checks both before and after departure by CAA inspectors. If the worst happens, the paperwork will be taken away by the authorities. This is precisely what happened at Helios following the accident, though the media described it as a 'raid'. If there is any culpability on the part of the ground staff, in the UK at least, they could be looking at a long-term prison sentence.
So the next time you're travelling, spare a thought for those who are doing their best to ensure that your flight is a safe one before it departs.

SyllogismCheck
27th Aug 2005, 11:34
Well said Barry.
How people manage to go from being on time at check in to being late at the gate is beyond me. People will dither around, not pay attention to the time or information screens, go back for another quick look at the duty free etc etc etc ad nauseam and often don't care if they're late to the gate because they know they'll still be allowed on as a result of the alternative causing an even longer delay.
You can bet a pound to pinch of salt that if the flight could and would depart without them they'd be bang on time every time.

Is it just me or are they always a certain sort too? The outwardly full of self importance, apparently robust type but who seem to have every neurosis known to man.... and as for their kids if present.... they'll be the ones made hyperactive by tap water and allergic to everything that's brought near them, as their Mother is sure to announce at high volume at every given opportunity. Still, you have to love them for their comedy value.

Antoninus
27th Aug 2005, 12:12
Anybody here working for SouthWest airlines?
I flew on SouthWest several times when I lived in the US (Late 80's early 90's) and I remember they had a policy and an attitude and although I was once a victim of that policy, I definitely agree with it.
The policy was that the aircraft doors were closed I think five minutes before it pulled out from the gate --it may even have been 10 minutes, I can't remember-- and there was no way in the Universe a late pax could get on board after that. Period. Kids or no kids. Paraplegic or not.
It happened to me I think in Denver, going to Las Vegas and I admit I was sort of drunk..
At that time it was the "you get a double for a dollar more" at the bar so I had a quadruple and I nice chat with the gorgeous girl behind the bar, who made me forget about the fact that time does fly. The two double bloody marys helped, of course.:\
I then walked calmly to the boarding gate, just a few minutes before TO time and the employee there told me I was late and I couldn't get on board. It was very frustrating since the plane was still there, about twenty yards --and two closed doors-- away.
The employee told me it was company policy and of course I replied: "Well it's not a very customer friendly policy, if you want my opinion..."
That young guy may have had some training in psychology, because in a few words he made me agree with him.
He said: "Sir, SouthWest Airlines has the best departing on time record of the industry, thanks to that policy, let me tell you how it works..."
Then he told me about the departing slots and how easy it was for an A/C to lose its departing slot because the crew had to wait for late passengers. Before that I didn't know all this.
"So, he continued, instead of making one person unhappy --This time it's you, I'm sorry-- we'd make a whole planeload of passengers unhappy, see.." All this explanation given with a nice, laid back, Southwestern accent.
Then he looked at me in my jeans, tee shirt and suede jacket and added: "You're ain't goin' to Vegas on business are you?"
-"No, not really, I'm on vacation".
-"Then you can wait an hour and a half longer for our next flight there. There'll be plenty of room for you, it's half empty... Besides that may help you save some of your money."
Followed a huge satisfied smile.
-"I reckon you're right.." I said.
I never took off late on a SW Airlines flight.
I also have to admit that that day in Denver was a slow day. As I said the next flight was half empty. The gate attendant may not have been that nice had it been a busy day, but nevertheless, I think it's a good policy.
As for the attitude well, again it's the American West... The flight attendants were relaxed and friendly... As long as you were.
As in "We are here to make your flight as comfortable as it can be, but we don't take no s:mad: t from no one".
That is also a good attitude, since I think everybody, including airline personnel, deserves common courtesy.
I mean, even pilots.. :p

27th Aug 2005, 14:08
Genuine P.A announcement (I was on the aircraft) upon landing at Heathrow from Lagos, on a VS flight.

"Thank you for chosing Virgin. We hope you enjoyed your flight. The following message is for the passenger who left a disgusting pile on the floor of the toilet in the economy section.:yuk: We highly recommend you see a doctor as soon as possible, and in future, we would be grateful if you would choose to travel with British Airways"

How the cabin crew put up with certain passengers behaviour is beyond me.

SkySista
27th Aug 2005, 14:16
Some really well said stuff here... top thread! :ok:

The part about making one person vs many unhappy is SO true!! I will have to remember that one for next time someone gets in my face...

At my airline, we too have a "doors closed, no boarding" policy. Generally, once the flight has boarded and the gate agent has closed the lounge door, it's a no-go, however if the flight is early, and the captain agrees, (and of course if the person is really nice about it) then they may get let on... but ONLY if they don't kick up.... many a time, an irate pax as demanded to be let on, and that we ask the crew, so I dutifully got to the office, call them and ask, (while informing them what a Sh*t the person is being (if they are), and the crew generally give us a "sorry, but no...." :E)

If the person is genuinely nice and had a good reason for being late (i.e., not in the bar or duty free...) then we'll try our best to help, if we can....

My favourite pax lines:

On asking for all luggage on the scale, pax clutches massive backpack/laptop bag/handbag: "oh, but I'm carrying it on with me"

Um, just because you carry it doesn't mean it weighs any less!! :p

Also, the ones who come to check-in, and on asking them if they have any luggage "oh yes, but it's in the car, I was going to go get it afterwards."

Um, no. And sorry, I can't hold your place in line, you'll just hold up the other 45 people behind you.

The classic though, on pre-boarding a pax requiring a wheelchair, I overheard a lady give a loud sigh and mutter to her travelling companion that why couldn't she go on first..? end of my tether on a long, trying day, smiled sweetly and said, 'because you are fortunate to be able to walk onboard." Didn't hear another word from her!!

Of course, I really do appreciate the pax who are well-mannered, actually LISTEN to what we are saying, ask if they are unsure about anything, and who understand that no, I do not control the weather, and no, I am not ATC who can bump their flight to the front of the queue!!!! :D

TFlyguy
27th Aug 2005, 16:22
I love being at the gate for late passengers and hearing the excuses!

Best so far ............ "Not our fault there was a queue at McDonalds!"

They had however taken the time to eat the McD's before coming to the gate!

Earthmover
28th Aug 2005, 08:53
Slight thread-drift, but all my passengers became justifiably pretty obnoxious one day at a major airport - Gate Security arrived 30 minutes late and I missed my slot ... Everyone on the aircaft - crew and passengers - were :mad: furious when we found out why ........ They'd been watching a Volley-Ball match on TV. :*

radeng
28th Aug 2005, 10:53
There are a number of places where the announcements in the airline lounges aren't really early enough for one to get to the gate without a mad dash. Arlanda Finnair lounge (used for BA) is one: not all the BA LHR announcements are in good time, either. I find that the time between 'go to gate' and boarding is often pretty short, especially for someone like me who walks with a stick. I tend these days to leave the lounge in LHR as soon as the gate is announced to get around this.

On reclined seats:

BA289 PHX - LHR. FA requests guy to sit up during meal service for the benefit of the passenger behind. Guy refuses 'I'm not eating - why should I?'. BA lady, very sweetly, 'Then I'm sure when the gentlemen behind gets up and spills his dinner tray down you because of the angle of your seat, you won't have a problem, will you sir?'

Middle Seat
28th Aug 2005, 14:59
There are a number of places where the announcements in the airline lounges aren't really early enough for one to get to the gate without a mad dash.

I don't buy this as an excuse for being late to the gate, unless you're on your first or second visit to a lounge. The few times I've visited airport lounges, I was informed upon arrival that announcements are not made in the facility, and to watch the clock and the departure boards. Yep, announcements would be great, but at some point a passenger has to become responsible for their (in)actions.

Antoninus
28th Aug 2005, 15:17
I suggest the seats in the economy class be locked in the upright position. That would solve the problem and spare the CA's a lot of conflicts.
I also suggest to people that plan to recline their seats to NEVER sit in front me because they WILL NOT recline their seats for the simple reason that I cross my legs and that blocks the front seat from reclining....
And at the request "I want to recline my seat", my answer is: "well, I want to cross my legs, sorry".:cool:
Now if they really want to recline their seats I can only recommend business class, or first. They will pay more, but they will pay more precisely in order to enjoy more space (and free booze in first..).
How the cabin crew put up with certain passengers behaviour is beyond me.
Right. Way beyond..
"oh yes, but it's in the car, I was going to go get it afterwards."
Skysista, how did you deal with that interesting specimen?
Did you answer something like: " Ooooookay... I just hope that you actually drove to the airport and didn't leave the car at home..."
Or: "Ooooookay, well I suggest you go get it ... I mean the luggage only, not the car. You may leave the car in the parking lot.."
Better make sure, you never know...:D

And right about the announcements. First check the boards. The gate is indicated there long before the announcement is made. Then go sit in the departure lounge in front of your gate, where there is a little TV screen indicating the flight number and destination.
And anyways use your flight instruments: Plane ticket and watch.
There is a line on the ticket that says "departure time". By comparing what's written on the ticket and what's written on the watch, you can very easily deduce whether or not you've got time for another McDonald's..

SkySista
28th Aug 2005, 15:32
Antoninus, to be honest, I was speechless for a second or two!! :D

I explained they needed to bring the luggage at time of check-in (in case had never travelled before :p), and "I suggest you hurry!"

And yes, they did ask if I could hold their place in line....

(As far as I know, they made the flight, because it's standard to page the remaining pax by name to get them to come forward and check-in. I just hiope to goodness they bring the luggage next time!!)

Actually, funnily enough, a friend today (who used to work check-in) told me about a bloke who travelled Uk-Aus, and his bags didn't turn up. Apparently, he'd forgot to collect them from the carousel on his 24 hour stopover, and had expected them to go on ahead of him to Australia!!!! :ugh:

radeng
28th Aug 2005, 16:25
MiddleSeat, it has to depend on the lounge. Where announcements are made on a regular basis, it's a different kettle of fish. But I agree, it's always in the end the PAX's responsibility.

I do remember one case where the PAX didn't turn up. A lot of PA's, and then it turned out the poor dear had slipped, broken an ankle and been taken to hospital, and somehow the message didn't get back to the airline. One of those unfortunate things.....

Final 3 Greens
28th Aug 2005, 18:12
to imply that she was late and thus not present to be pre boarded. Don't you?

No, I don't actually.

She said that she should have been pre-boarded, that could equally mean that the gate staff did not control the boarding priority very well and it became women and small chilrden last, a scene I've encountered quite often at a number of smaller airports downline and as the poster did not expand further it is difficult to draw a firm conclusion.

Maybe she delayed the flight departure, because she argued with the crew, not because she boarded late, it is not clear from the post.

If there was a scrum at the gate, then Jack may well not have been aware that she was there.

Whatever, I would not have had a problem to move.

WRT to getting to the gate, as a parent of three, I am well aware that small children do not always give a lot of warning about urgent toilet needs etc, so I do not damn the parents of small children per se.

flapsforty
28th Aug 2005, 19:48
I am getting more and more puzzled off late by the following: Polite well-mannered parents, travelling busines class with their ill behaved off spring.
These adults obviously know the difference between 'good' and 'bad' manners and are polite and pleasant to me, yet do not bat an eyelid at their kids being rude/obnoxious. They do not correct their childrens' behaviour, they seem oblivious to the irritation caused by their children as if they honestly believe that just because THEY think their kids are cute and can be forgiven anything, everybody else thinks so as well.
WTF? :confused:

3 families, 7 kids last week. After a round of drinks where none of the kids said neither please nor thank you, I served food only to the parents and not to the kids.
"Miss why aren't you getting our children their meals"
"Sir, my own kids don't get food when they are rude to me, and neither do yours".
Said with a big friendly smile so nobody took offence, but kids' behaviour dramatically improved. ;)

Antoninus
28th Aug 2005, 19:49
Bravo Flaps!!
Some parents are like that. First they try to curb the little monster then after a while they give up. Like that kid I slapped the safety belt on.
The parents tried for about five minutes, then gave it up. The FA's tried too but they had other things --and other people-- to attend. Like getting an aircraft ready for take off..
Actually I didn't really care whether he had his belt on or not. Problem is there was a free seat besides mine, they sat on the other side of the aisle and the kid kept going from his seat to the one besides me.
And I was reading the newspaper and I do not like being disturbed when reading the newspaper.

As I understand it, the lady was flying Ryanair, which is a LoCo company (first come first serve basis).
Instead of yelling, maybe asking a flight attendant would have been more efficient.
Then the flight attendant asks a passenger and the passenger gladly complies.
That lady clearly falls into the obnoxious pax category.
Remember the times when flying was actually a pleasure?
Legroom, decent food, courtesy..:ugh:

Another thing I've noticed often is that some pax's become physically impaired soon as they get on board an aeroplane. At home they are perfectly able to close doors, lids, covers etc. They can operate a microwave and a fridge door. But apparently, closing the overhead compartiment is way beyond their motor skills..

PAXboy
28th Aug 2005, 23:52
jack_essex as i am 18 i obviously do not have kids. And you dare to use the word 'Essex' in your title? Slacker! ;)

Flaps Yeeeee Harr!!!!

I recall a small boy who was kicking my (Y) seat for some while early in a sector from EWR to MCO. I turned to look pointedly at the father several times to no avail. After 15 mins of this, I released my belt, turned to kneel on the seat facing aft and loomed over the back at the boy, telling him clearly what he was doing and why he must stop. He did - for the rest of the flight - and his Daddykins didn't say a word! Which was fortunate for all of us.

Worst pax? LGW to MBJ (Jamaica) and about eight hours in the seat and in daylight, so everyone awake. Crowd of kids running up and down the aisles and in and out of the lavatories. The CC warned me to keep my distance as they had seen this sort of thing before and the parents considered the aisle to be the 'play room' whilst they slept.

But I have also seen the bad behaviour further forward. In VS PE a few years ago. Mother + one daughter in a pair of seats and father + other daughter in pair behind. The girls (aged 10/12) started arguning over the back of the seat and both parents ignored them. Fortunately, they were on the other side of the cabin.

Worst child? LHR ~ GVA in 'C'. Would not put on belt for landing. It was sitting next to me and I helped to restrain it and keep the belt fastened. Mother and CC had not been able to. I still do not know how I had the patience to persevere through the screams and wriggles.

--------------------
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Final 3 Greens
29th Aug 2005, 04:19
jack_essex

Thank you for your clarification.

It does indeed appear to be obnoxious behaviour.

Farmer 1
29th Aug 2005, 07:24
Talking of obnoxious kids, here's the other side of the coin, albeit not pax.

I work in the third world, landing my helicopter in the jungle perhaps fifty miles from the nearest large village. As is usual, a small group of children appear from nowhere and come and say Hello.

Bear in mind that these children have never seen a metalled road, a brick building (probably not even a brick), a school or a church, and the only running water they're familiar with is a very dark brown river.

We usually have a packed lunch, and we offer them some of our food, starting with the oldest child, who is about six years old.

"Merci," he/she says, and we pass down the line.
"Merci," says each one.
We reach the last child, aged two or three. He/she is a bit shy, possibly a mite overwhelmed by this funny looking white person.
"Dis merci!" commands big brother/sister.
"Merci."

It happens every time.

It's also worth mentioning that French is not their first language.

Personally, I blame the parents.

MagnusP
30th Aug 2005, 08:04
Seat kickers.

Mobile 'phones during taxi.

People who are apparently incapable of "please" or "Thank you".

The most obnoxious I think I've encountered was on a LAX-HNL sector. Back row, centre section, 1 occupant of 4 seats refused to move for a family who had been separated. Foul language. I was the sole occupant of the row in front, and so I immediately offered to move and, just for fun, sat next to the stroppy bloke. FA to FA: "Randy, Mr Paterson's drinks are free as he's been so helpful". :D

Antoninus
30th Aug 2005, 13:05
This one didn't happen aboard a plane but on a high speed train from Paris to Geneva. However it's the same "mobile phones on taxi" attitude. And obnoxious AC Paxs quite often turn into obnoxious train Paxs
Soon as the train leaves, the phones pop up and the essential conversations begin.. "Granny.. We're on the train now... Yes we... No.. We didn't miss it.. So we should be in Geneva by seven, tell Maurice that..." And so on.
What I usually do, being a journalist, is take notes on my little notebook. Maybe one day I'll write a book..
Anyways, last time I rode that train, one of the cell phone maniacs out there spoke loud enough for the whole car to enjoy.
First name: Nathalie. At one point she tells "Marie" to call "Etienne" at that number.. And she gives the number. Loud and clear.
I just could not resist. So I --discreetely-- picked up my own phone and called the number.
-"Hullo?"
-"I'd like to speak with Etienne please.."
-"Speaking"
-"Good afternoon Etienne, I'm on the train right now with Nathalie.. Could you call her and tell her to stop bugging us with her loud conversations on the phone? Thank you... You're very kind"... *click*
Lo and behold, about ten minutes later, Nathalie's phone cranks up again with one of those stupid tones and she answers and goes "Hi Etienne! Did Marie... What? Oh... Hmmm.. Hmmm.."
After that the young lady stands up and finishes her conversation on the car platform, where polite people go when they want to use their phones. Walking in the aisle she gave the other passengers very suspicious looks but by that time I was hidden behind the Herald Tribune, trying to stop giggling..

VP8
30th Aug 2005, 14:05
American Airlines MIA back to London overnight.......behind me 5-6yr old rugrat. 1hr into flight said rat starts kicking back of seat. I put up with this for a while then totally P****D off complains to mother who says he is only expressing himself and to leave him alone as he will give up shortly....I explained to her if didn't stop it I would express my self in a manner she would not like....look of thunder from mother who complined to cabin crew about my attitude....she got short shrift from them also!!

Got my own back couple of hours later when rat started running up the aisle banging headrests, caught him on the way past with a sharp ankle tap and went face first up the aisle got up with lovely carpet burn up side of nose

Mother tried to blame me but nobody saw me or didn't admit to seeing me.

VEEPS

:ok:

Bealzebub
30th Aug 2005, 14:32
As irritating as some children can be, I am not sure you should be so proud of your achievement in assaulting a 5/6 year old. I am assuming you are a woman which rather makes it more odd.

You might be better moving seats, as next time you might not be so lucky. :ok:

Antoninus
30th Aug 2005, 14:36
I remember when I was a kid and I was being a pain in the butt, my mom would give me a good *WHACK* behind the head..
"STOP IT!". And lo and behold, I would..
But now they call it "child abuse"..

"Assaulting" a 6 year old?? What assault? The kid fell on his face running. Happens all the time.. :E
The mother should be held responsible for not ensuring her kid's safety on board, I think.
"Expressing himself"?? Jeeeesus H. Christ..
Now maybe the FA's should have been explained more firmly to that lady that she was not allowed to let her kid bother other passengers whishing to sleep, or try to.
I remember an American Airlines flight from France to the US where a kid began running up and down the aisle like that and
he was very quickly slapped back on his seat by the chief CA --A stern looking lady you wouldn't want to mess with..

VP8
30th Aug 2005, 17:20
Bealzebub

Bloke actually!! :rolleyes:

Never ASSUME anything on here!!

Peeved off trying to get some shut eye after a 39hr day with one of our aircraft. Not in the best of receptive moods.

Parents should have more control over there spawn and not sleeping themselves.

I felt no shame in doing it as I was just stretching my leg as the poor unfortunate wretch was going past:suspect: FA saw and said nothing!!

VEEPS

Bealzebub
30th Aug 2005, 18:29
Sorry VP8 it was your listed interests in your profile as "men" that led me to the assumption, still thats the modern world for you, and to each his own as they say. Of course that extends to children as well, and however irresponsible or negligent the parents, tripping up a 5 year old and hurting them ( although you are proud of it ) really doesn't make you much of a man in many peoples eyes.

The fact that you justify it on here ( and I seem to recall have done so in the past ?) is rather bizzare. Perhaps you should add "Man who braggs about injuring toddlers" to your profile ? :ok:

Still it fits in perfectly with the title of the topic.

girtbar
30th Aug 2005, 19:28
well better not add a comon trick of the flight FA's then?

Kid/sprog/spawn of the devil (delete as appropriate) runs up and down the aisle, even on occasions when the seatbelts signs have been put back on. Kid/sprog/spawn of the devil also runs down the aisle under the galley curtain when the crew are eating and where they are trying to forget about the horrors that are in Economy at said time.

So to solve the problem of this "kid" running through the curtain?

The FA's place a double cart directly behind the curtain so when little one runs screaming all the way down the aisle......THUD....."kid" quitetly goes back to the seat and stays there for the rest of the flight!

Shame.......i just cant believe that parents have no idea how to bring up their kids in any other manner than a pack of wild animals.

As for other obnoxious pax when they throw or dump their bags at the FA's feet complaining that the 2 lockers by their seat are full and its ridiculous that the airline doesnt provide enought space.

Big grin came on my face when this happended on one such flight.

After the bag was thrown quite some distance down the aisle at the FA, while she was in the middle of the boarding PA. It lands straight on her feet. The FA picked the rucksack up, walked over to the gentlemans seat and placed the bag back on his lap, saying quite calmly (i would have been raging!!) Sir perhaps you cant read so i will excuse you, as you can obvioulsy not read that the badge says flight attendant on it and not baggage handler. On the side of the aircraft it says Boeing 757 not Tardus. Now why dont you move the from your seat and stow your bag or you'll be walking to your destination with a slight limp after i stow your bag for you!

The pax around and about chuckled to themselves after almost being decapitated by this prick of a pax playing ball with his bag!

Foss
30th Aug 2005, 22:04
Was on a flight form London to Atlanta years ago, huge fat American, bless 'er, sitting in front of me.

Seat fully reclined immediately, then she flicked her very long and not terribly clean hair over the headrest so it was in my LAP.
Not happy. She was a rude obnoxious :mad:

Flight lass sorted her out for me, yehar.
:p

JUst one thing about all the mum/kids thing. I got chucked out of the I-just-might-survive-a-crash-seat-cause-I'm-next-to-the-door that had been allocated to me (being a strapping lad) so a mom and sprog could be together. Be good seeing the 6 year old trying to open the door.

SkySista
31st Aug 2005, 12:42
Antoninus, the phone/train thing... CLASSIC mate! You had me rolling on the floor...! :} Very often I have wondered if people realize they are giving out their numbers so freely....!

I once recall a guy on the phone blabbing loudly into his phone at the boarding gate, "blah blah blah, me me me" etc, totally ignoring all boarding calls because of his 'important' call, pretending not to see gestures from the girl to get off, and so on. Said girl, probably at limit of patience, proceeds to page the guy with "(pax name), please proceed to gate when you've finished telling Tony what a great weekend you had, as your flight has boarded. Thank you."

Pax goes red, shuts phone immediately and gets on plane, remaining pax in lounge all look amazedly/appreciatively at girl, a couple guys even clap.....! :p

girtbar, the cart thing is soooooo evil, but yet so appropriate!!!! :E SOmetimes the only thing that will teach some kids is a bit of pain.... and what an unfortunate co-incidence you should happen to move your cart while the bansh- err, sorry, "little angel" is deciding to excercise their legs and lungs???? :E

(..i should know... me mum tells me I was one of those kids... only difference is, I'd have coped a slap across the ear for anything like that on a plane.... or anywhere!!! Never did me any harm, either!!! :}

VP8
1st Sep 2005, 15:47
beazle

typo on my part should read wine WOmen and song :*

I todays parents kept control of their sprogs there would be no need for others to discipline them by the way of pain!!

The trolley was a good one :ooh:
VEEPS:sad:

Curious Pax
2nd Sep 2005, 08:17
Jumping back to the Ryanair woman - no excuse for her rude belligerence, but pound to a penny she was in the queue to board early when one of the sprogs decided that a toilet break was called for. Not surprising that she was p***ed off after coming back to find heself at the rear of the queue. Not really anyones fault (certainly not Ryanair's) but s**t happens. My own son has done that before now, though it didn't cause an issue as seats were preallocated. fortunately in most other respects he is a very well behaved air traveller. Maybe it has something to do with the first time he flew aged 20 months when I painted a terrifying picture of the captain and made it clear that said captain would throw him off the plane at the first sign of trouble. Worked a treat, although I was surprised he didn't suss me out a year or so later when he took a look on the flightdeck after landing, and the captain was one of the nicest people I have ever met!

Flaps - you've not lived in The Netherlands for too long! Been here a month now, and was shocked the other day when someone thanked me for holding open a door for the first time, even though I probably do it 3-4 times a day. Not a fan of Dutch 'manners'!!