PDA

View Full Version : 1time in the news ... again!

Deanw
26th Aug 2005, 11:56
'You can fly if you can walk'

24/08/2005

Johannesburg - The Smit family from Pretoria will never make use of local airline 1time again after their 14-year-old disabled daughter was banned from flying with this airline again.

Anneli Smit from Kameeldrift said her family would not fly with 1time again after her daughter, Nadia, a quadriplegic, was nearly not allowed to fly down to the Cape this week because of her disability.

After some difficulty, the family did eventually travel together, but Smit was told that her daughter could not use this airline again.

The family travelled down to Cape Town with Nadia on a 1time flight in December and experienced no problems. "We recently bought four tickets so that my two children and I could accompany my husband, Robert, to the Cape for the weekend."

Policy

"This time I decided to phone ahead and make arrangements for our seats so that it would be easier to find a suitable seat for Nadia. One of 1time's telephone operators said they do not reserve seats, but that we should go to the airport early where someone would then help us."

When they arrived at Johannesburg Airport on Thursday, they were told that Nadia is not allowed to fly with them. "One woman asked me three times whether my daughter could walk up the stairs - that while she was sitting in her wheelchair! We were told that the airline could not allow people who cannot walk to fly with them."

"1time said that if someone should fall and injure themselves, the airline would be held responsible even if a family member was carrying that person. I have been carrying her for 14 years and will never let her fall."

After a long argument with 1time staff, Nadia was allowed to fly to Cape Town and back, but the family was told that this would be the last time Nadia is allowed to fly with them.

"It is apparently a policy of the airline, but why did they not say so when I phoned the first time? And why did we fly in December without any problems?"

Simone Samson, spokesperson for 1time, said the airline was not aware of the incident.

We were trapped - 1time

26/08/2005

Johnannesburg - "I do not want to speak to that woman. She led us into a trap."

This is what Glen Orsmond, operational head of 1time airline, said on Thursday when he was asked whether the company planned to contact Anneli Smit of Pretoria regarding an incident in which her disabled 14-year-old daughter was nearly prevented from flying with the airline.

Smit's daughter, Nadia, who is a quadriplegic, was nearly not allowed to fly with 1time from Johannesburg to Cape Town because she is not able to walk up the plane's steps. Smit said they flew down to Cape Town with 1time before without any incident and took trouble to phone ahead and make arrangement for her daughter before the recent flight.

"I phoned the airline about this matter in particular and spoke to a man at length. He told me that he could not book a seat for her, but that we had to be at the airport ahead of time where someone would assist us with Nadia."

Kulula offered return ticket

Orsmond said Smit never phoned the airline. "If she had problems, why did she have to run to the newspapers? Why did she not speak to us?"

Smit said they were told at Johannesburg Airport that her daughter could not fly down with them. After a long argument with 1time staff members, the airline eventually agreed that Nadia could go on board, but said she would not be allowed to fly with the airline again.

Smit said they were told that "it would be the last time".

Nadia Prinsloo, spokesperson for kulula.com, said disabled people were welcome to use this airline. "We treat them just like all the other passengers and will go out of our way to make the trip as comfortable as possible for any person with a disability. There is no reason to discriminate and I don't even think it is legal to do that."

She said the Civil Aviation Authority determines that only a certain number of disabled people are allowed per flight. "When such a flight is full, we will offer such a person a seat on an earlier or later flight, but we will definitely not turn them away once they arrive at the airport."

Nadia does not have to worry about battling with flights again this year since kulula.com offered her a free return ticket to Cape Town.

Kulula.com getting some good media exposure at the expense of their rival :ok:

cigar
26th Aug 2005, 19:55
Does 1time state in their terms of carriage that if you can't walk you can't fly with them? If they do I'm afraid to say it's the Smit's problem entirely (although I do not agree with the discrimination at all )...

Just my hardline opinion

Went digging around, got this from their website:

SPECIAL NEEDS

Special needs passengers requiring assistance will be carried in accordance with Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) regulations. CAA regulations limit 1time to 2 special needs passengers per flight.
Passengers unable to ascent/descent aircraft stairs will be carried on selected flights only, due to operational constraints.
Bookings for special needs passengers must be made via the call centre. Arrangements for assistance for passengers will be done during the booking process.
Subject to prior arrangement, wheel chairs may be arranged for passengers to be used inside the airport terminals and to and from the aircraft. Should the passenger not be able to ascend/descend stairs with assistance, a passenger aid unit can be arranged.
Passengers who have not made prior arrangements may be refused carriage

captain cumulonimbus
26th Aug 2005, 20:35
Rules are rules,and people should be aware of them and be sure to check before they make their arrangements.I must say i think it is NOT 1Times fault at all-that is just their policy and if that doesnt suit you as a potential customer,us somebody else and check before you fly or you have no excuses.Its that simple.

PS 1Time is,in my opinion,the best low cost carrier in our skies at present,and provides a great value,great quality service

26th Aug 2005, 21:47
Rules are certainly rules, and if you want to evacuate an aircraft within 90 secs (is that the normal rule of thumb?) then you'll need more cabin crew to help special pax. If they do make provision for 2 special pax per flight, then I wouldn't call it discrimination. "Its business and not personal" as they say in the movies.
Something is fishy about someone's story.....

PAXboy
27th Aug 2005, 01:37
Sounds like the same kind of nonsense we get here (UK) and in the US. People do not read the rules and then imagine themselves to have been 'hurt' and other such. They like to 'claim' anything from anyone. Happens all the time. I feel sorry for 1time but they can learn from this and make the info clearer and ensure that all staff are checking for disabled pax and making sure that the rules are met.

Solid Rust Twotter
27th Aug 2005, 04:12
There appears to be an orchestrated campaign in the media to malign 1Time, judging by all the attention they've been recieving. Could it be that none of the other carriers ever experience technical problems or have difficult passengers?:rolleyes:

Perhaps some advertising revenue is at stake if the other carriers get out of the kitchen due to the heat generated by 1Time....:E

You want really crap service? Try reserving/arranging a seat beforehand/at check in with SAA to accomodate 6'4" of loosely assembled pilot. Nice try but no banana.......:*

B Sousa
27th Aug 2005, 06:10
"accomodate 6'4" of loosely assembled pilot."

Come on SRT, a few Beers and you fold up like a carry on.........

Goldfish Jack
27th Aug 2005, 09:02
All this knocking of the no-frills airlines is now getting a bit much. There are far more pressing problems around here.

Rather than knock a new airline that is doing well you should rather devote your attention to the other more serious problems.

One gets sick and tired of all the constant negative criticism of the "minnow" airlines in this country. WIthout them you would have no option but to travel on a state subsidised airline and pay through your a^%e to travel with them.

Be grateful that you have options and you have a choice. Stop knocking them and lets see some positive input now.

As to the Smit's problem: They should GROW UP and read the small print before they enter into a contract, anyone in fact - the conditions of travel are the first thing that I read, so I know where I stand when I book - maybe the Smits should go back to school and see how to enter a contract and what to do.

We could do without them in aviation.

Long live the no-frills airlines

Solid Rust Twotter
27th Aug 2005, 16:21
Bert

Same when I'm under pressure...

I go to pieces so fast bystanders get hit by the shrapnel.:E :ok:

Still believe 1Time to be the best airline for regional travel in SA at the moment.

slapfaan
28th Aug 2005, 13:31
As for the above saga: I guess in a nutshell one can say:

"you only fly them 1TIME"
"there will be no NEXT TIME"
"it was definately the LAST TIME!!"

I mean...who flies in a red aircraft anyway....!??

Slapfaan's back....:p

Gunship
28th Aug 2005, 13:50
Welkom terug Slapfaan :ok:

Howzit going at Spories ? What happened to the pilot's strike mate ? :E

orgasmotron
29th Aug 2005, 12:12
After comments like those of Slapfaan, no wonder the Spoories pilot's are referred to as "Skygods". Always pointing fingers and slagging everything non-spoories. Wake up and smell the roses. Aviation exist beyond SAA. Personally, I like the green planes better. But then again, SARS has to display their sponsorship of SAA in some way - Flag on the tail and all.

The low cost carriers have good standards and have brought aviation to thousands of South Africans who could not afford to fly previously. THAT is what aviation is all about ! They do things in an innovative manner and brings a lot of colour to aviation whilst maintaining the standards.

Go 1time and kulula. Pity some pax can't read. Suppose sometimes it comes with low airfaires.

Dexterdawg
30th Aug 2005, 19:42
Slapfaan...? From what I've heard it should be K*KFAAN...

Solid Rust Twotter
31st Aug 2005, 03:29
Amazing how insecure and defensive some of these so called skygods can get. Just what is it about the self sponsored (as opposed to taxpayer funded) minnows that gets you lot in such a state of agitation? Could it be that they show an actual profit, rather than a load of spin from the accountants and other handlangers at Fawlty Towers? :E

itaxi
2nd Sep 2005, 20:56
Handicapped people are one thing and in the US, they go out of their way to help them board and disembark. No problem. They will take your money.
My problem is FAT people. I love Southwest because if you do not fit into one seat, YOU WILL PAY for two tickets ! I love it when they first take these big dudes and dudettes down into the plane for the "test"

So, hou op komplane man !:O :O :ok:

BAKELA
3rd Sep 2005, 20:22
Amazing how insecure and defensive some of these so called skygods can get. Could not have said it better!!!:} :} :} :} :} Oh yes, don't forget the khaya's...let us keep to 'grass roots' level people! :suspect:

Plane Pain
23rd Sep 2005, 08:06
1time flies thousands of disabled passengers

In line with recent media reports about the misunderstanding between 1time and a disabled passenger - 14-year old Nadia Smit - the airline wishes to put the record the straight.

Glenn Orsmond, Chief Executive Officer of 1time said: “It is a pity that this misunderstanding between the airline and Mrs Anneli Smit was totally inflated without fair representation by both parties. To clear up the matter, I personally spoke to Mrs Smit and apologised to her and Nadia for the misunderstanding and for the way the situation was handled. We never meant to offend or cause inconvenience to Nadia and her family.”

“We do have policies and procedures in place stating clearly that all disabled passengers are accepted on 1time flights, subject to the Civil Aviation Authority’s regulations. 1time accommodates 2 disabled passengers per selected flight, when pre-booked. Where operationally achievable, the selected flights have longer turnaround times to avoid delays on scheduled flights, increased costs and to prevent holding-up other passengers,” he continued.

“When booking a disabled passenger through the call centre, always remember to state the passenger‘s disability, age and requirements to ensure that the necessary arrangements are made and on the day, is handled effortlessly. Passengers who have not made prior arrangements may be refused carriage.”

1time has gladly carried thousands of disabled passengers to date and has great empathy and respect for their needs. To avoid any future misunderstanding, the airline re-trained its call centre staff and airport staff on the policy of carrying disabled passengers in order for them to continue providing superior service.

Orsmond concluded: “1time prides itself on offering the best and friendliest service as well as the best prices. We look forward to welcoming all passengers on board.”

Deskjocky
23rd Sep 2005, 09:15
The CAA mandates a certian ratio of cabin crew to "Persons of Reduced Mobility"- it then up to the airline to decide how many they are willing to accomodate on each flight. So the number of wheelchair bound passngers you accomodate is a function of how many cabin crew you have on board. On an MD82 there should be 4 cabin crew and therefore 4 wheelchair passengers could be accomodated before you need to add a crew member.

1Time have chosen to restict this to 2- fair enough, but the airlines attitute to the whole thing seems to suggest that this is in place to prevent a claim of discrimination rather than a genuine need to help those who have reduced mobilty fly with them.

Why is this? simple really-it doesnt make commercial sense to carry these passengers- 90% of what you earn on the fare the passenger paid, is given stright to the ramp handling company in the form of renting a PAU (Passenger Aid Unit) coupled to the need to mave more staff available to push wheelchairs and help with baggeage collection etc in the terminal building. The other airlines employ quite a number of people who only do this!

By the way another "extra" 1Time dont do is accpet Dogs for transportation at check-in. I witnessed a lady with her dog in the proper "dog box" being told by one of the 1Time staff that they do not accpet dogs at check-in and she must take it to their cargo department who will load it (at JIA- the cargo building is about 3km down the road!) Now once again Im sure that there is fine print covering this but, as with the wheelchair incident, the real reason they do it is to save on the cost of having an extra baggage handler in the terminal building to move the animal to the aircraft.

I know that the next question will be well why dont Kulula have the same approach- they have the infrastructure of Comair to tap into- so they have access to PAU's baggage handling staff etc at much cheaper prices that 1Time would have.

I guess the lesson for 1Time here is that you cant just accomodate passengers who are easy to deal with- if you are going to serve the market then there is a minimum level of service you have to deliver- to everybody. Even if delivering that service is going to cost you a few Rand extra - that is the cost of doing business.