View Full Version : The Next Step...

c_jephcott
26th Aug 2005, 11:56
Hi everyone,

Just as a way of a little bit of background information, I'm 21 years old, just entering the final year of university having spent a good couple of years studying History and Politics there, and with time progressing onwards, I am now fully turning my attention to my absolutly long term goal of becoming a pilot.

Currently, I'm a PPL holder, no IFR certificate held, but I do have somewhere in the region of 85 to 90 hours in the logbook.

I have A levels in Geography (C), History (B) and Physics (D) [following on from the exam board muck up - I still haven't forgiven them yet!!!] as well as taking extra physics and maths lessons currently.

Now, whereas the primary way for which I do hope to achieve my dream is through sponsorship, because of the fact that quite simply, my funds have pretty much dried up and I can't afford to do much more flying on my own whims. Would CTC look at me for the wings scheme bearing in mind how many hours I have done? Of course, FlyBE remains possibly the most promising at the moment, but yet again, would they look at me with the number of hours I've done?

Of course, the next option would be self funding through one of Jerez, OAT or CCAT, which would appear on initial inspection to be a good option. On the principal that I would have to take a loan out for £60000 for the CTC scheme, if I was to do one of the above, I wouldn't be in that much of a worse position - except with the CTC scheme, obviously the airline helps with the repayment. But, upon reading the CTC and OAT thread on this board, it would appear that OAT is a lot less competitive to get into.

So basically, why I'm writing this is because I would love to hear peoples thoughts on this issue. I do intend to apply for each and everything that comes in my general direction, but if given an option, what would people do?

I'm sorry if this belongs on another thread (the OAT vs CTC one for example), or if in fact, if the answers are provided elsewhere on this board.

Thank you very much in advance
Chris

jpg
8th Sep 2005, 23:49
hi mate,

you are probably best to, as you say, apply for everything, cant be any harm in that! but if it helps, ill give you the advice i was given. go for the ctc style training as your first route. the reasons are that they, and i guess (?) OAT alike offer you assistance with recruitment at the end of your training. they are indeed geared for you to get employment as soon as possible, and pride themselves on their ability to do so.

if this doesnt come off, dont sit back and worry head straight for self funding at a decent flying school option. the beauty here is that for (roughly) the same amount of cash (as the CTC £60k) depending on how you do it, you could reasonably have your self a type rating by the end of it - which is ofcourse further than the CTC frozen ATPL.

all this info came from a current BA captain who runs a consultancy company www.beapilot.co.uk. anyway i follwed his advice.

if you want my own opinion, when you say

"But, upon reading the CTC and OAT thread on this board, it would appear that OAT is a lot less competitive to get into."

i am not sure if it is true, but if it is, must be for a reason right??!! anyway, i'd try and go the CTC route if I were you.

hope it works out.

BitMoreRightRudder
9th Sep 2005, 10:05
The CTC Wings programme includes typerating in the £60K. There are guys on the scheme who applied with over 100 hours so don't let it put you off.

Good Luck