PDA

View Full Version : COCKS - love 'em, or hate them?

Kaptin M
26th Aug 2005, 10:48
It can be short, or long, depending upon how strong they feel they are.
And the time of day.
Early morning - dawn - usually makes their presence most noticeable....especially when a persistent one rouses you from a deep sleep.

The crowing of cocks is something that I have NEVER forgotten, from my Manila based, Air Philippine days.
The Filipinos LOVE fighting cocks, and resultantly their presence is evident everywhere. It wasn't unusual to be talking to a Tower controller, for one to hear a cock crowing in the background.
Actually I assumed it was in the "background", but knowing their passion for the "sport" of cock-fighting, chances are the [email protected]@dy thing was sitting on his lap, being hand fed!

Liikewise, I can recall flights out of Ilo Ilo (or was that Il oil O...or I lo I lo..) having the cargo bays loaded full of cocks, and consequently having to listen to the crowing of them for the next hour or so, as each one threw out a challenge to the others!

During waking hours, cocks are tolerable - but the ones that rise at 0430 certainly test one's patience.

tall and tasty
26th Aug 2005, 11:19
Brings back memories of my grandfather's cock

Lovely little blighter! Strutted around in the yard at the back of the kitchen gardens with his hens in tow

But he got up at 0400 every morning. Being in Greece wotj tje sun being up early in the summer it used to throw me as a child.

Infact one day I remember my big sister,myself and my brother were found in the garden playing by the cook at 0600 in the morning. She went crazy and asked what we were doing up so early and to go back to bed.

it was the one time she popped us in the dumb waiter and sent us off packing just to get us upstairs. We were never allowed to play in it. Boy did we try that trick again but to no avail.

The cock outlived all his hens. he was a frail old bird the last time I remember visiting my grandfathers house and the only think he had to chase was a young duck!

Never found out what happened to him but certainly won't miss the early morning crowing.

I am surprised the neighbours did not shoot him But nothing nicer than going out and collecting eggs for breakfast

TnT

Binoculars
26th Aug 2005, 13:20
Does anybody else wonder if Mrs M has been away from home for a while? :ooh:

Taildragger55
26th Aug 2005, 13:57
but the ones that rise at 0430 certainly test one's patience

And that of one's sposue.

FLCH
26th Aug 2005, 14:29
Should one's cock be choked if it rises too early in the morning ?? Just curious....

Standard Noise
26th Aug 2005, 14:35
Possibly, but one must ensure that one's spouse resists the urge to chop of it's head, shove an onion well in, wrap it in foil and bung it in at 180C.:uhoh:

Binoculars
26th Aug 2005, 15:57
I don't think anybody is likely to top T'nT's first line. :uhoh:

Jerricho
26th Aug 2005, 16:22
Yer not wrong Binos. Been remembered for some little awards.

timmcat
26th Aug 2005, 16:25
But nothing nicer than going out and collecting cock for breakfast

... Honest - that's what it said before T&T hit the edit button!

Jerricho
26th Aug 2005, 16:29
"I'll have half a pound of butter........oh, and make it a dozen cocks thanks. The girls from the bridge club can't get enough of them"

Antoninus
26th Aug 2005, 17:11
I happen to like mine.

Whirlygig
26th Aug 2005, 20:00
I ate my friend's cockerel. He was old and cantankerous and not performing very well (who does that remind me of?) so his neck was wrung and made into a rather nice curry.

However, my friend didn't quite see it like that; I was eating her pet! We were only 10!

And she's still a good friend.

Cheers

Whirls

Blacksheep
27th Aug 2005, 06:39
It wouldn't be Asia without the dawn chorus. When I awaken to the sound of the cocks crowing and a thousand throats being cleared, its as if the town cryer was calling - "Five in the morning and all's well!"

Cock crow really gives one that warm comfortable homely feeling that all's well with the world.

Buster Hyman
28th Aug 2005, 11:13
I ran over a Cock just outside of Apia in Western Samoa once. I was in a Jeep Wrangler & I can assure you that that cock was well & truly rooted!

Konkordski
28th Aug 2005, 18:49
Brings back memories of my grandfather's cock

Was it too tall for the shelf, so it stood 90 years on the floor?

Hat...check
Coat...check
Call for departure clearance