PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a Puddy Tat.

Erwin Schroedinger
26th Aug 2005, 06:45
OK, first off, no box jokes, please. (Schroedinger....cats....oh, never mind)

Lots of cat lovers here on JB, based upon recent (though sometimes sad) threads.

I'm thinking of being adopted by a cat (maybe two, for company for each other when I'm out/away).

Never had anything other than a dog as a young kid, and parents looked after him.

What's a recommended breed? Or maybe a moggie?

Where should I look?

What age should I go for?

I really love the elegance and beauty of oriental types, but my sis had a Siamese which made an awful whining racket all day. Apparently this is common for Siamese (?). I'm looking for a quiet, but loving/friendly type, into games, maybe trainable (as far as cats are). Long haired breeds are definitely not my type (cats I mean).

Lots of questions, but main one, please, is what breed?.

Rollingthunder
26th Aug 2005, 06:54
Best advice I can give is to go to a shelter and see what strikes your fancy.

Same as what I do when grocery shopping. What looks good today?

P.S. All Siamese are crazy in one way or another. Doesn't make them any less loveable.

Erwin Schroedinger
26th Aug 2005, 07:03
Question already.

If I go to a shelter and take two, do I get a discount?

OK, no, seriously, if take two, do they ideally need to be same breed?

Or sex?

Or temperament?

And what age is best?

Too old may be have problems? (got enough of my own without adopting any).

Very young but separated too soon from Mum can cause problems I've heard.

Sorry, I'll shut up. :O

26th Aug 2005, 07:08
Go for a moggie. If you want a short haired model, look out for adverts that say "DSH" (domestic short haired)

As you've never had a cat before, I wouldn't recommend getting very young kittens, but try for ones that are about 6-8 months old.
If you are getting 2, try and get a pair from the same litter. Cats are very independent, and generally, litter mates tend to get on much better than "strangers", especially if they are being taken into a new environment.

The Cats protection league is a good place to start your search.
cats (http://www.cats.org.uk/)

The sex doesn't really matter, as long as they are spayed/neutered, but generally, I've always found the females to be "softer" and more of a lap cat type, but this is just my experience, and not always the case.

Let us know how you get on.

Rollingthunder
26th Aug 2005, 07:10
Over here you pay only for the speying or neutering.
So different sexes doesn't matter.
The shelter won't release them if they're too young to leave the mother.
Age - well, doesn't matter - get a feel for their temperament.
Breeds - doesn't matter.

Krystal n chips
26th Aug 2005, 07:12
Agree with Rollingthunder---pop down to your local rescue sanctuary--have a look---get beguiled by any poor puddy---and then take home-----in order to be trained by said puddy------NOT the reverse ! :p Burmese are nice---very intelligent as well----shame you don't like long haired breeds though--long haired Persians are pretty good to have around---and every puddy likes to play games----usually at 3 am with bits of it's pet humans anatomy ! :*

CoodaShooda
26th Aug 2005, 07:16
Some personal observations

Siamese tend to contract leukemia at around 11-12 years :{

Moggie kitten from the pound nearly made her 20th birthday...still miss her :{

Couple from the same litter will have different personalities but will get on well.

Two from different litters may be a bit (a lot) more competitive.

De-sexed females can be a bit highly strung but will stay close to home.

De-sexed males become part of the furniture and don't roam too far (but have been seen to bring down flying insects at an altitude of 5 ft from a sleeping start. :eek: )

BillHicksRules
26th Aug 2005, 07:23
ES,

As a proud staff member for two 8 year old cats (Cats do not have owners they have staff) I can say that we went to the local cat rescue centre and picked two kittens from the same litter, brother and sister.

Cost us £30 each and that included first years inoculations and also neutering.

As an aside to what 419 said I would get them as yound as possible but ensuring that they are already litter trained. The reason to get them young is that they bond closer to you.

I would also recommend two rather than an lonesome if you are out of the house during the day for long periods.

If you want to chat more then feel free to send me PMs. I have loads of stories to make you chuckle.

Cheers

BHR

Howard Hughes
26th Aug 2005, 07:29
My advice, go to the animal shelter, wander around through the cages for a while and wait for one to "PICK YOU".

This way you can almost be assured of getting a cat that likes you. Using this method I have had 2 wonderful cats in my lifetime, don't get caught up going for looks, just get the cat (or two) who like you.

In my experience, a cat that won't go near you at the shelter, won't go near you at home either....

Cheers, HH.

:ok:

Safety_Helmut
26th Aug 2005, 07:37
I was never a cat person, until I met my wife. We have had our 2 Burmese for the last 12 years or so. Both from a good breeder, we collected them when they were about 13 weeks old, so house trained by their mother and fully vaccinated.

I can honestly say that these cats have provided us with 12 years of fantastic entertainment, and they still play together like kittens at times. They are also very affectionate cats, you will find this with all Burmese. They can be quite vocal, but nowhere near like a Siamese, they just make noises to go out, get fed, get affection etc. They travel well too, usually staying with parents or friends when we are away.

I would recommend them to anyone if they want a lively, playful and affectionate cat with personality.

Safety_Helmut

criticalmass
26th Aug 2005, 08:20
Burmese or Seal Point Siamese make superb domestic cats.

The saying is "Siamese cats think they are people - Burmese cats know they are."

Allowing a cat or two to adopt you from a cat shelter is a very noble thing to do and gives deserving cats a chance for a good life with people who genuinely care for and appreciate these amazing animals. I think Howard Hughes has pretty well summed it up.

"The smallest feline is a masterpiece." - Leonardo Da Vinci.

johnfairr
26th Aug 2005, 09:10
When my wife became pregnant for the first time, 23 years ago, we went to the Friends of the Animal League (FOAL Farm) at Biggin Hill. She went first and came back and told me that she'd seen a lovely pair of kittens, perfect for us. Next we weekend, we tootled off to BH with a couple of chums, saw the kittens and were about to buy them, when one of our friends said "You can't take the kittens and leave the mother on her own!!"

So we ended up with the mum and her two babies, back to Beckenham and safely ensconsed chez Fair Towers.

Moved to Farnham three years later, no problem, but sadly lost the boy after about two years when he was knocked down by a car outside our house whilst we were gardening. Scrote driving didn't even stop. I could have cheerfully murdered the unthinking barsteward.

Mum and daughter continued to live an idyllic life, waited on hand and paw until the daughter contracted a kidney problem ten years ago and had to be sadly put down. The mum soldiered on for 24 years in total, finally succumbing to old age last February.

I cannot recommend FOAL Farm highly enough and we often go back there to see if we should get some more. However, lifestyles change and without two boys to keep them occupied, we might just opt for a refuge cat in the future.

Best thing we ever did

:ok: :ok:

tall and tasty
26th Aug 2005, 09:21
Exotics even though look lovely can take alot to keep them looking like that and the long hair need to be groomed daily to stop matting. If they get matted need generals to get the mats out. Never try combing an awake long haired if it is matted like that , you will loose you hands through bites and scratches.

Saying that what has been said is all sound advice. Two are better than one if you are out. But remember if you get kittens they are very playful and need as much attention in the early weeks as children. Also remove any house plants that may be toxic as they chew on anything. Similar to pups.

Because cats are so inquisitive and if you have not had one before, please remember to shut toliet seats, close microwave, tumble dryer and washing machine doors. I saw some horrible injuries when I was a vet nurse through cats getting into appliances.

Other things to remember, outside if they wear collars make sure they are loose so if they get caught they will not hang themselves, remove things like slug pellets as they attract cats and will eat them (end result is no more cat) and antifreese.

Sorry but things that if you have not had a cat you may not be aware of.

Find them a mixture of dry and freash food, total dry diet can lead to kidney problems if they don't drink liqiuids and some cats hate milk or are intolerant to lactose so watch for that. Never feed them dog food it looks the same but lack turin which they put into the cat food after cooking and very important part of their diet

But enjoy what ever breed you get. they are brillant fun, great company and knothing nicer than a pussy cat curled up on your lap in the evening

TnT

henry crun
26th Aug 2005, 09:23
If you have a preference for an eastern breed let me add my voice to those recommending a Burmese.

They are wonderful loving companions.

Send Clowns
26th Aug 2005, 09:26
Is no-one else worried that Schroedinger is trying to acquire a cat? :ooh:

Hobo
26th Aug 2005, 10:28
You'll need one of these:

http://www.swapmeetdave.com/Humor/Cats/Carrier.htm

RAC/OPS
26th Aug 2005, 10:56
I'm not really a cat person, but my sister was adopted by 2 ginger cats after their owners abandoned them. They are the coolest cats - you can rub their tummies which I believe is unusual for a cat to let you do that. They respond to their names and come running when called, and just love to perch on your lap. On the other hand they have decimated the local wild life population, even having a go at a young tiger snake. The snake came off worst....

If I was going to have a cat it would be one like these.

radeng
26th Aug 2005, 11:26
We got a 2 year old brown Burmese female with the house. She'd never been let out, but we intorduced her to the outdoors (we do live in very rural area). She eventually had to be put down at the age of 18. Very friendly. We now have a pair of 5 year old Chocolate Burmese sisters (had them from kittens), and really recommend them as pets. And they love having their tummies rubbed! They even sit there and let you clip the sharp and rough ends off their claws.

As someone else said, cats don't have owners - they have servats.

Loki
26th Aug 2005, 11:32
Go for the one who goes for you, not the one which shies away and stays in the corner or stays aloof and indifferent. My preference is for male cats (neutered for all sorts of reasons) but our neighbour has a very endearing female....we are her secondary home port when they are away.

patdavies
26th Aug 2005, 13:12
long haired Persians are pretty good to have around

They would be the white ones then, mr Blofeld:)

Darth Nigel
26th Aug 2005, 13:46
For a first time owner, get a pair of youngish moggies from the local shelter.

(a) mixed-breed cats (also known as "domestic short-hair" or "domestic long hair" depending on hair length) are generally sturdier, hardier and less tempramental than a pure-bred feline. And they're a lot cheaper!
(b) two young cats will play with each other and will wear each other out; a single moggy will get bored and want to play with you a lot, usually in the middle of the night.
(c) get a pair either from the same litter or at least from the same cage in the shelter, so you can be moderately sure that there will not be open warfare.
(d) make sure you give them all their shots/take 'em to the vet for checkups and stuff.
(e) don't get them declawed.
(f) don't get the marijuana and the catnip mixed up -- marijuana has no effect on cats and smoking catnip makes you wheeze like an old accordian.

Davaar
26th Aug 2005, 14:32
Tall:

He started the car one morning and heard strange mechanical noises from below the hood. Belay that: not mechanical, feline. Transient cat had taken up lodgings in warm but dangerous apartment, now much injured by fans, belts and the like. Blood. Immediate trip to ER at the vet's. Emergency operations, amputation, intensive care, etc. Immediate bill of GBP 1000.00.

Cat decided to stay on. Most expensive cat in the neighbourhood.

GearDown&Locked
26th Aug 2005, 15:23
I had two female cats.

I was never a “cat” person myself until I saw those too, crying behind a car tire as their mother was on the middle of the street “flattened”. Bam! I felt so sorry for them and took them home with me. They were about 4/5 weeks old then.

For years to come they were my true room mates. One of them was very sweet, the other a bit on the wild side but both lovely. If I was sad they would jump at my lap and licked my hand (with their sandpaper thong!!). If I was happy they would get some toy and shared the fun. If I’d arrive late they would be sitting behind the door waiting for me. If I was angry at something they would be standing at a safe distance, watching with indifference, waiting for me to calm down, with infinite patience that only cats have.

They loved sunbathing, playing with each other like small kittens, doing bungee-jumping from the bedroom curtains, fighting for a place my lap and fly-hunting.

Some six years ago, I had to go abroad for a long period and left my too ladies with my ex’s grandmother at the countryside, confident I’d found a good home for them until I’d returned. When I got back, the sweet one had perished the same way as her mothers’ did years back. The wild one took off into the forest never to be seen again.

I love cats, but I’ll never want another cat with me again.

I know this has nothing to do with the thread subject, but I just wanted to share my cat feelings with you. Thank you.

GD&L

Solid Rust Twotter
26th Aug 2005, 18:07
ES

The rescue option would be the one I'd go for in the same circumstances.

If you really want someone with a pedigree, go for the Maine Coon cat. Large, friendly and pretty laid back...:ok:

Hobgoblin
26th Aug 2005, 18:25
Living in Mexico a few years ago we were adopted by a total of four cats. None of them related to each other and all different ages. They all got along great and would look out for each other.

Two got run over by cars:( and killed. One had a car run over his head and survived. Cost a fortune in vet's fees, but worth every peso.

When we left the country we left the last two with friends who promptly turned them out into the street:mad: Needless to say they are no longer our friends.

I am still in contact with a neighbour who reports every now and again how the two are doing and am still sad we had to leave them.

It breaks your heart to leave them but at the end of the day you can't be selfish and take them away from the only home they know.

We now have two pitch-black little ones (brother and sister) and will probably always have cats in the house.

I cannot recommend having them highly enough to anyone. By the way £30 each innoculated and spayed is a brilliant price. We did the same thing privately and got burned for almost £200!

(Truth be told I don't even mind as they are worth every penny!:ok: )

maxman
26th Aug 2005, 19:18
We got our two from the shelter, a tabby and a tortie. £45 each including identity chips. Had about eight years of entertainment out of them, with no sign of letting up.
Much has already been said, they turn back into kittens at 3am, they pretty much do what they please, they are great company.
But, no matter what you tell your friends, how entertaining they are etc, when your friends come round, your cats will be nowhere to be seen !

Erwin Schroedinger
26th Aug 2005, 19:35
Great info, guys and gals. :ok:

Looked up the Burmese and, whilst it's not as "oriental" looking as I'd hoped, the excellent personality is repeatedly mentioned.

Local ads show Burmese as £150 to £300. Is this correct? Phew!

How do I tell if they're geniune pedigree cats?

The idea of rescuing cats from a shelter makes it into a "good deed" which I like a lot. Sad to think how many unwanted animals are stuck in shelters and risk (as I understand it) being put down if they take too long to be rescued.

I'm going to phone around some shelters tomorrow and visit some.

In a perfect world, there's two Burmese kittens in a shelter right now, waiting patiently............or, in my usual world, there's two moggie rascals sharpening their claws right now. :D

Thanks to all! :ok:

tinpis
26th Aug 2005, 22:14
Me is biased Burmese but choose a good breeder.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/tinpis/DSC01223.jpg

RatherBeFlying
26th Aug 2005, 22:18
The tenants' cats are regular visitors. The younger one often shows up for breakfast and catnip, in return for which the mice have decamped:ok:

One of the neighbors' cats is a regular visitor and often found napping on top of something soft in the bedroom.

Raccoons were also frequent visitors, until certain bad apples took to leaving unappreciated presents on the balcony:bored: and got cut off the free munchies.

Erwin Schroedinger
27th Aug 2005, 07:31
Thanks for the suggestion, Mike Jenvey. :ok:

It opened up a can of worms.

Branched off into Tonkinese (Burmese/Siamese cross, if I've got it right). Best of both worlds?

OH410E
27th Aug 2005, 07:47
Branched off into Tonkinese (Burmese/Siamese cross, if I've got it right). Best of both worlds?

Quite possibly a can of worms.
Burmese are well and truly road tested.
But.
you should choose your kitten from a well regarded breeder.The kitten needs to be humanised in every way and be with its mother for at least 3 months i think it is.
IF THE KITTEN HAS ANY PROBLEMS WITH HUMANS IT WILL NOT GO AWAY.

Pseudonymn
27th Aug 2005, 12:14
Hubby and I, (ok, just I :} ) adopted a kitten from the RSPCA here in Darwin about two months ago. She is a burmese/tabby cross with a gorgeous chocolate coat and darker brown stripes, like a tabby.
Her personality is definately burmese and is at times more like a dog than a cat, but well worth it. When we took her back to the vet for the follow-up vaccinations, we found out she had only been in the cage for about two hours before we adopted her! :ok:

Tonic Please
27th Aug 2005, 12:32
We adopted a cat about 3 months ago. Male, european tiger, 3-5 years old. He was found on the streets, handed in, so now is petrified, and I mean petrified of the outside. He doesn't even like us opening the shutters in the morning. Always sleeps, eats somtimes, drinks a little. Sometimes he has a stupid moment by crawling along the floor as if we're going to kick him or something. That can get a little annoying sometimes because you just think "what are you doing you straneg creature.. just walk normally".

He had an episode of internal bleeding. When we went back to English for a week, gfs parents came up here to look after him and we came home to blood allover the place. They took him to the vet, and he put a neck lampshade on and we had to force feed him some tablets. Recovered well. Still quiet but loves cuddling and sleeps snug with us in the bed every night.

About 3 weeks ago, we adopted a kitten. I was born in May. We thought that another cat would help Maple, the male, be a bit more 'out there'. Hasn't changed him but our newest, Lady, is the most playful cute thing in the world. Lady is a European white tiger. So shes got greyish hair, with a big white front and little white fluff of hair on her back.

Maple, the quiet one, loves the new Mouse we bought (a TOY) but lady is all over it. She also loves balls with bells inside. She loves things hiding, and teasing her. She prowls, and then wiggles her bum, and jumps. She likes to hang upside own on my arm too, with 4 legs wrapped around as she nibbles and licks my fingers.

Maple also loves his scratching board so thats a must to help them maintain good claws.

A variety of food. Ours love chicken but not fish. Biscuits and the normal 'sludgy' whiskers tinned food. Our internet research shows that some treats of 'human food' are good, such as chicken niggets without the skin (just but it off). Also, cats are seriously allergic to the point of death with some human foods. A search on about.com/cats gives you the important list.

I think potatoes and tomatos are on of them?

Hope this gives a little more insight :) Also, if you get a kitten, its easy, despite the cuteness of them, to get quite annoyed at meowing, perhaps claws in your arms etc. They're innocent! And are not something to take anger out on. I am sure you know that but is worth saying...

At the moment, Lady just jumped up behind me onto my neck, and is watching me type while she licks my ear!

Enjoy. Dan.
I forgot to add that Maple is castrated and both cats are vaccined.

Kaptin M
27th Aug 2005, 12:35
Cats - they're a ball of fun...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/hanmersprings/kick7my.jpg