PDA

View Full Version : fax facts

The Voice
25th Aug 2005, 23:25
Anyone got any ideas on downloading fax programmes? I'm looking to fax from the computer without using a stand alone fax. I've had a bit of a squizz at tucows etc. but am not too sure just what to do.

I did install (then uninstalled it) Winfax but when it came to the set up couldn't get my techno phobic brain to unmuddle the modem set up thingy. (ie when it asked for the modem, I couldn't work out how to get the computer to recognise the modem that I use, and when I did think I had that sorted it kept telling me the modem was busy).

I'm running XP Pro on ADSL thru iprimus. Iprimus doesn't have any help in regard to this issue ..

Coconutty
26th Aug 2005, 07:54
Unless I'm mistaken it sounds like you have a broadband internet connection.
Broadband and Faxing as we know it aren't compatible - differences in the way a telephone fax modem and the broadband modem's work.

There are various companies offering an e-mail to fax service where you can send e-mail via them and the recipient gets a fax...
they all charge for the service though :ugh:

There are some "Shareware" programs about that may do what you want - take a look at this one :

Phone Fax ISDN (http://www.sofotex.com/PhoneFax-ISDN-download_L10353.html)

It is free to download and try for 30 days then has to be registered for a one off cost of US $23.00 - doesn't look like there are any ongoing costs after registration.

It may be what you're looking for although I haven't tried it myself.

Coconutty

:ok: