PDA

View Full Version : Bird Flu

Confabulous
25th Aug 2005, 16:50
Listening to the news, I noticed an interesting projected statistic - 'If bird flu gets into Western Europe (which it definitely will, IMO), 50 million people will die - roughly 1 in 6'.

I find this slightly worrying, but then took to thinking - the main victims will be immunodepressed (don't know the correct word), so mainly old people and infants will succumb. I'm 25, therefore it probably won't affect me.

I know that's not reassuring to a lot of people, but am I right about infants and old people being the main victims? I'd prefer that this flu never hit, but it seems inevitable - look what happened in 1918 - 20m+ died, and if you factor in the population growth...

Nature's cleanup :ugh: :{

Confab

Ontariotech
25th Aug 2005, 16:54
Look on the bright side....the price of oil will be sure to drop, reduced emissions as there will be less people driving cars, less traffic, meaning a fast commute.

Every cloud has a silver linning. And If I were you, I would not worry about things I cannot change.:)

Bre901
25th Aug 2005, 16:58
already a thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84308&highlight=avian) running in JB on same subject

Gouabafla
25th Aug 2005, 17:02
Can't remember where I read it, but the profile for victims of avian flu is not the one you would expect. Most victims have been young and healthy.

Jerricho
25th Aug 2005, 17:24
Everyone laughs at the Michael Jackson fella for wearing a mask...........sure, he's f**ked in the head, but he may be on to something.

Jinkster
25th Aug 2005, 17:28
Can't remember where I read it, but the profile for victims of avian flu is not the one you would expect. Most victims have been young and healthy.

Fry up for me every morning from now on! :}

It must be true what they say "A fry up a day keeps the doctor away"

Confabulous
25th Aug 2005, 17:43
Right, so what options do we have? First thing in my head is stay away from any poultry product, eggs, KFC, chinese resteraunts (duck), this list goes on and on and on - surely if it gets out of control the government would ban all this stuff?

Second thing - it's an airborne disease, so time for the Michael Jackson look, as modelled by Jericho.

Actually I've always wondered about those masks - surely they aren't tight-fitting enough to be of any use?

Confab

Jerricho
25th Aug 2005, 17:45
KFC

You really want to call that chicken?

Maybe all the steroids and hormones injected into them chooks protect them :E

Standard Noise
26th Aug 2005, 07:25
If having a fry up every day protects you then to hell with a diet.
Jerricho - want that Red Cross Soda Farl parcel now!?:p

tony draper
26th Aug 2005, 07:32
Item on Newsnight about it last night,they recon it could potentialy scrag 600,000 of us,and thats a conservative estimate, apparently they cannot make enough Vaccine,so theres only enough for the politicians and their families.

Standard Noise
26th Aug 2005, 07:37
One news report claimed there are 14m vaccines in the UK with 2m being held for key workers. Why do the workers at Mr Minute need vaccines?:confused:

Cheerio - if a goose sneezes in yer face, it's the week to buy a lottery ticket. Although, not having been a victim of a fly by sneezing, I can't say for sure, but it may not be an altogether unpleasant experience.

Ultralights
26th Aug 2005, 08:18
is it just me or do all these weird fatal disease mutations all come from asia?

IFTB
26th Aug 2005, 09:06
Thanks for the link back Bre .
nearly forgot what life was like 2/3 years ago.

Maybe what I said in one of the postings there:
By all means continue your lighthearted discussions as I said above, but don't treat it as a faraway "joke".
is coming home to roost (so to speak)

:(

Jerricho
26th Aug 2005, 15:27
want that Red Cross Soda Farl parcel now

Oh hell yes!!

(Can you chuck a bottle of Crested Ten in for us thanks mate)

PickyPerkins
26th Aug 2005, 17:47
And this thread:
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1708698#post1708698

Looks like bird-to-bird infections are via common water sources, while bird-to-human infections occur during poultry “processing”. Maybe poultry are “processed” predominantly by the young and healthy ?
http://www.who.int/csr/don/2005_08_18/en/index.html

-- Start quote --- ..... Outbreaks in both countries have been attributed to contact between domestic birds and wild waterfowl via shared water sources. .... WHO fully agrees with FAO and OIE that control of avian influenza infection in wild bird populations is not feasible and should not be attempted. .......Since the initial reports, the Russian H5N1 outbreak in poultry, which has remained confined to Siberia, has spread progressively westward to affect 6 administrative regions........ The poultry outbreaks in Russia and Kazakhstan are caused by a virus that has repeatedly demonstrated its ability, in outbreaks in Hong Kong in 1997, in Hong Kong in 2003, and in south-east Asia since early 2004, to cross the species barrier to infect humans, causing severe disease with high fatality. A similar risk of human cases exists in areas newly affected with H5N1 disease in poultry. ........ Most, but not all, human cases have been linked to direct exposure to dead or diseased poultry, notably during slaughtering, defeathering, and food preparation. No cases have been confirmed in poultry workers or cullers. No cases have been linked to the consumption of properly cooked poultry meat or eggs. --- End quote ----
Cheers, http://pickyperkins.home.infionline.net/pi.gif

Kaptin M
3rd Nov 2005, 20:54
Is this "Bird Flu" a beat up?
Incited by powerful government(s) to take the limelight off events such as the Iraq quagmire, and the fallout that's causing back home?

IF Avian influenza is likely to be passed on to humans - transported from continent to continet by migratory birds - isn't it also just as likely to be spread to marsupials living in the wild, and domestic animals as well?
A migratory bird, dead as a result of HSxxxx, is more likely to be consumed by wild rodents, which in turn could spread the infection to domesticated animals, eg. horses, cows, pigs.

Yet I don't see any evidence that there is any concern being voiced about this prospect.
Could it be because the economic repercussions of trying to contain an outbreak through these channels would soon reveal the whole Bird Flu myth to be just diversionary scaremongering?

VFE
3rd Nov 2005, 21:27
So cynical Kaptain! Like it.... :}

Does anyone know what the symptoms of Avian Flu are? Do you start flapping your arms and crapping on parked cars or something?

VFE. :confused:

sprocket
3rd Nov 2005, 21:50
Do you start flapping your arms and crapping on parked cars or something

... well if thats the case, there must be a bloody fruit bat around here with the bird flu. My car was well covered with the stuff this morning, wheres my shotty! :* :* :*

SilsoeSid
3rd Nov 2005, 22:26
Reading the thread title, I would be surprised if it didn't......unless of course it was a penguin!!!

The big Issue here is, am I still going to be safe drinking my favourite brew?

http://www.bottledbeer.co.uk/photos/speckly.jpg

:ugh:
SS

G-CPTN
3rd Nov 2005, 22:43
>if its carried by birds how does a human catch it? Does a Goose have to sneeze in your face or something?

Don't get up early. Sparrow farts might ruin your health.

SilsoeSid
3rd Nov 2005, 23:07
Is it possible for a sparrow to carry the virus and if so, how would that affect its unladen airspeed velocity?

http://www.intriguing.com/mp/_pictures/grail/small/HolyGrail188.jpg (http://www.intriguing.com/mp/_sounds/hg/swallow.wav)
SS

brain fade
3rd Nov 2005, 23:54
African or European? To pose a very obvious q.

And what is your favourite colour?:8

scran
4th Nov 2005, 01:52
Kapitain M,

Don't laugh. One of the main concerns is Pigs, because:

a. They can catch animal influenza bugs, and

b. They can also catch human influenza bugs, thereby posing the threat that Swine could mix the two into a potentially lethal bug.

The reason (I'm told) they can catch our bugs is that there repsitory system etc is quite close to ours.

In reality, however, it is actually either a Vegitarian plot or an anti Kiwi plot (can't eat beef because of Mad Cow's disease, Chicken/Duck/Pigs because of Avian Influenza...that only leaves Lamb....ie...Kiwi women.......:E :E :E :E :ok: )

:hmm: :hmm:

pigboat
4th Nov 2005, 02:07
Scran, check yer e-mail.

SilsoeSid
4th Nov 2005, 09:06
brain fade,

So obvious a question in fact, that I suggest you click on the picture of King Arthur and Sir Bedevere.

;)
SS

Blue!

PanPanYourself
7th Nov 2005, 10:11
http://filebox.vt.edu/users/sconte/Random/avian%20flu.jpg

:sad:

G-CPTN
7th Nov 2005, 12:20
>Don't laugh. One of the main concerns is Pigs, because:
>a. They can catch animal influenza bugs, and
>b. They can also catch human influenza bugs, thereby posing the threat that Swine could mix the two into a potentially lethal bug.
>The reason (I'm told) they can catch our bugs is that there repsitory system etc is quite close to ours.

Once they perfect flying we're doomed!

RaraAvis
7th Nov 2005, 13:19
Oh, but piggies fly, they do, they do!:O
There's a 'piccy' right here on PPrune, pink happy flying pigs!
And a very important 'piccy' it is too... :D

Blacksheep
8th Nov 2005, 01:12
I'm reminded of the threatened SARs 'pandemic' where the cure turned out to be much worse than the disease. Five hundred died, whereas tens of millions of the world's poorest lost whatever livlihood they had, as SE Asian economies, already reeling from the effects of currency speculation, collapsed even further. The worst single incident in that fiasco was the senior health professional who chose to travel abroad to attend a SARs seminar while suffering from 'flu-like' symptoms. Fortunately he managed to deliver his vitally important research paper, before passing the disease on to several of his fellow health professionals and then kicking the bucket. So much for 'health professionals'!

Now the same people are once again warning us of an inevitable plague of biblical proportions 'just around the corner'. The evidence? Dying birds. They've been dying of it for at least the last eight years since the virus was first identified, although the majority of birds seem to survive. Some humans have also been infected - in societies where people live in very close proximity to their poultry - and although tens of millions are presumably exposed, less than a hundred have actually contracted the disease and died.

Is this a real threat? Or once again simple media hype? Do we really need to wear face masks and hose down the wheels of buses and trucks? Do billions of domestic poultry belonging to people who have little else really have to be culled? I'd really, really like to know, seeing as how I'm once again in the firing line over here and its our jobs that are at risk again...