PDA

View Full Version : Advice on boots, please

UniFoxOs
25th Aug 2005, 10:27
My GF has just bought me a safari holiday (Kenya/Tanzania) for my next birthday. Coincidentally I could do with a new pair of walking boots. I might as well get some that will be suitable for Africa. They need to be as light as possible (baggage allowance), with good ankle support, tough and not make my feet sweat any worse than they normally do. Any recommendations???

bigfatsweatysock
25th Aug 2005, 10:32
Hi-Tec Altitude Lite II, weighs about 600g. Pretty good pair of boots.

Hi-Tec Sierra V-LITE weighs in at about 500g. Bit more expensive, at about 55-60.

tony draper
25th Aug 2005, 10:34
Well,being Africa, edible ones might come in handy.
:uhoh:

Foss
25th Aug 2005, 10:38
I swear by mendyl (dunno if thats spelt right though)
Merrell are also great. Do you realy need big boots, or just a decent pair of cross trainer jobs?

Taildragger55
25th Aug 2005, 10:44
Lots of metal studs.

To give the lions indigestion.

IFTB
25th Aug 2005, 11:05
I like that!
Ask a question and say "not make my feet sweat" and the first advice you get is from bigfatsweatysock .
Must be a good recommendation! :uhoh:

gas path
25th Aug 2005, 11:07
Take a look at the Zamberlan range or Scarpa. I have both and very good IMO.
I would suggest a 'Goretex' boot being both light, waterproof and breathable would be ideal for Africa.

Standard Noise
25th Aug 2005, 11:16
I have three pairs of Merrell's and they're fab. Not sure how they would cope with the hot climate in Africa, but they are soooo comfortable, even if you have been on your feet all day.

GearDown&Locked
25th Aug 2005, 11:30
You could try these 601 Jungle boots. (http://www.heelsforless.com/tek9.asp?pg=products&specific=jpgmcnh8) :ok:

GD&L

Gingerbread Man
25th Aug 2005, 11:49
I got some Merrells about four years ago and they're pretty awesome - a Land Rover Defender of footwear (they don't break down though). Unfortunately, all the more recent merrell footwear i've seen doesn't seem as rugged and they seem to have moved into fashion shoes a bit more. Meindyl are also good - a friend has a pair.

Ginge ;)

flying_tyger
25th Aug 2005, 12:32
best pair of walking boots ive had were a pair of berghaus ones.. :D

simonjwt
25th Aug 2005, 13:42
Can certainly vouch for Hi-Tecs. Just last month I had to ditch my pair after 3 years of pretty much 5 days a week wear after the sole finally wore through.

Course, a lot can change in 3 years...

OldCessna
25th Aug 2005, 15:30
Get some boots that are fairly high above the ankle and made of a material that will resist snake bites!
Plenty of Black Mambas & other nasty things around that area!

pigboat
25th Aug 2005, 15:31
I swear by Rockport (www.walkingonacloud.com/rockport-shoes/). Excellent quality and price and they have climbed Kilimanjaro. :)

Gouabafla
25th Aug 2005, 15:45
I'd take a different tack to everyone here and say not to worry about getting boots that will do for Africa. The only exception would be if you know that your Safari holiday will involve a serious amount of walking - are you planning on doing Kilimanjaro?

Generally, Safari holidays involve a lot of sitting in the back of Landies and not a lot of walking around, so footwear isn't a huge issue. A decent hat, on the other hand, is an extremely important issue.

Get the best boots you can for the places where you generally do most of your walking and then pack a sturdy pair of trainers and a pair of sandals for your safari.

Whether, booted, sandalled or barefoot, I hope you have a blast!

RAC/OPS
25th Aug 2005, 16:10
Ya bunch of fairies!! What's wrong with a pair of thongs? Or barefoot - walk around on gravel for a few weeks before you go to toughen up!.

I'm sorry I have nothing constructive to add....

SASless
25th Aug 2005, 16:21
https://store.511tactical.com/index.asp?number=11001&searchstring=&dept=1&prod=1

Tolsti
25th Aug 2005, 17:17
When I was a kid in Zambia we wore veldtschoens...... http://www.courteneyboot.com/collect.htm seem to be a reasonable alternative

Jinkster
25th Aug 2005, 18:35
I own a pair of Lowa boots - cannot fault them however they are quite heavy. I'd recommend you request the catalogue from Field and Trek http://www.fieldandtrek.com/

Or you could take Billy Connolys advice and buy a pair of trainers (if something chases you at least you'll out run your girlfriend)
:E

Solid Rust Twotter
25th Aug 2005, 20:39
RAC/OPS has it about right.:ok:

A good pair of sandals like Rockies or one of the good makes should do for lazing in the back of the Landie. Got a couple of Oz mates who've walked up Kili in them as well. Note: Kili is a walk, not a climb.

As for boots, find out what type of environment you'll be operating in. My old pair of Jim Greens have been treated with jojoba and beeswax to waterproof them. They're strong, comfortable and I wear them just about every day when I work. Days off are spent barefoot to get the hooves toned up for walking on gravel and to give the GF something to complain about when I get home....:E

Loki
25th Aug 2005, 21:11
I won a pair of Scarpa Rangers a few years back. Broke them in on the anti Iraq war march in London and a few other strolls. Have done a number of hill walking trips since.....not a single blister. Great boots, just thinking about them makes me want to go off on a trip somewhere.