PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with tits

TheFlyingSquirrel
25th Aug 2005, 09:23
Our Blue tits are becoming very rowdy ! One even came in the the house the other day and started flying around the living room like a lunatic ! I've just had one staring in, peck, peck, pecking on the window for ages ! What should I do ?

a) Stop feeding the little shites

b) Put a nut in the vaccuum cleaner hose and then turn it on when he takes it !

c)Put Super glue on the nut feeder

d) put up with the abuse?

feet dry
25th Aug 2005, 09:25
Morning Mr Squirrel,

We have a nice pair of tits also which similarly spend hours tapping on the kitchen window.....ah!

The ones I have the problem with are those of your user ID, rats with good PR if you ask me!

Gouabafla
25th Aug 2005, 09:29
I reckon that the blue tits in our garden pay protection money to the pigeons. The pigeons can't use the bird feeder being too big and clumsy, but they clean up because the tits drop far more onto the floor than they actually eat.

Not sure how the racket works, but I'm sure that there is some corrupt practice going on.

IFTB
25th Aug 2005, 09:32
rats with good PR :} :ok:

Helli-Gurl
25th Aug 2005, 09:37
Get a Cat! (was gonna say pussy but this is JetBlast so can't trust you all not to get the wrong idea!)

;)

Leftpedal
25th Aug 2005, 09:38
Invest in a cat. Your pecker will quickly become preocuppied with the pussy, leaving you free to enjoy the tits.

Sorry....

I'll get my coat.....

Ultralights
25th Aug 2005, 09:39
Put a nut in the vaccuum cleaner hose and then turn it on when he takes it !

My wife accidentally sucked up our daughters budgie with the vacumn cleaner while cleaning the cage out, the bird was sitting on its perch, then jumped down to get some seed, and landed right in front of the vac intake! the noise was Hillarious! i am laughing even now as i remember it! it was a zipping type noise as the bird travelled along the corrogated tube at great speed .... into the dust bag! i was literally on the floor pissing myself with laughter! then my wife turned to me with a stunned look and simply said opps! i laughed for a solid 10 minutes...

the bird of course died of shock... but i was the funniest thing that i have ever heard or seen!

TheFlyingSquirrel
25th Aug 2005, 09:40
For any of you Squirrel bashers - this is what we're refering to !

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/theflyingsquirrel/flyingsquirrel_29.jpg

Whirlygig
25th Aug 2005, 09:49
TFS - the obvious answer is a) - stop feeding the little shites!

If the pigeons are the blue tits' minders, then the cat won't be much good - the pigeons will provide warning. Cats are best for mice and rodents.

The blue tits will go to another garden, then shoot the pigeons (legal in the UK if you have a gun licence and it's your land) and have pigeon pie for supper.

I always thought it was pigeons that were flying rats.

Cheers

Whirls

Ultralight - I hope your daughter gave you what you deserved.

TheFlyingSquirrel
25th Aug 2005, 09:53
You just put tears on my f***** cornflakes !! Ace mate !! Made my day with that !!

TFS:O

27mm
25th Aug 2005, 10:53
Tits, pecker and pussy all on the same thread - imagine my disappointment when I found out what you peeps were really talking about....

Standard Noise
25th Aug 2005, 11:02
Ultralights - nice one, there's something much funnier about hearing a 'confession' than an ordinary joke.:D

Whirly - I may be mistaken, but I was told , when I first got my shotgun many years ago, that while it is indeed legal to shoot certain critters on your own land, the powers that be take a mighty dim view if you discharge a firearm in a built up area. So shooting pigeons isn't advisable unless you have an acre or two.
Otherwise I'd be sitting on the extension roof taking pot shots at everything which flew past, including the f***ing magpies that live in the trees just behind us. And I don't think my elderly neighbours would be too pleased either.:ooh:

tall and tasty
25th Aug 2005, 12:15
TFS you need to get a nice warm jumper........oh sorry thought you were talking about ....oh never mind

Get a Cat!

Heli-Gurl you beat me to it. Our cat was the colour of Garfield and used to sit under the birdtable thinking he was completely inconspicious. Mouth open and waiting! Silly thing not a single bird used to come into the garden. Very funny to watch, but then he got bored and used to try his hand at fishing the goldfish out of the pond!

But the goldfish incouraged cranes to come into the garden. No birds used to come around with those there. Remeber the first time one came down and just sat and looked at TC!(the cat)

But saying that I have heard Owls are good as deterrants to almost any bird. Invest in one and no more Blue tits, pigeons or anything!

TnT

Whirlygig
25th Aug 2005, 12:34
Something like this perhaps? (http://aviary.owls.com/eagle_owl/eagleowl.html)

There's one visits (with his keeper obviously :rolleyes: ) Newbury Show every year - he beeootiful!

But, how, exactly doesn't one invest in an owl?

Cheers

Whirls

GearDown&Locked
25th Aug 2005, 12:47
Don't go for the owls!
I have plenty of those around here where I live, and believe me, you can't shut your eye when they are having their late night meeting.
One of these summer nights they were all "talking" to each other in some tree nearby. I've opened the window and shouted from the top of my lungs "Shut the :mad: up!" ...which they did :cool: ... for about 15 secs :{ :mad:

GD&L

LowNSlow
25th Aug 2005, 12:57
They use a Goshawk for vermin control around our offices. Beautiful creature.

Standard Noise I'm reasonably sure you can use an airgun on your own property.

Deaf
25th Aug 2005, 14:11
Try wheat for bird seed with a short pin (1/4" will do) stuck though the grains. I suppose safety wire would do the job.

Standard Noise
25th Aug 2005, 17:15
Sorry, forgot about pea shooters. I was talking real guns.

GD&L - they're not English owls then. :rolleyes:

chuks
25th Aug 2005, 19:32
There was a report in the local paper the other day about an Italian couple who wanted to tease a magpie.

They flaunted a gold wedding ring to attract the bird, then left the ring on a table, when the bird swooped down, grabbed the ring in its beak and flew off with it.

I guess these folks never bothered to check out the theme of the opera 'La Gazza Ladra' or the story of the Archbishop's stolen ring and the curse he put on the thief, or perhaps they just thought these things only happen in stories.

Then there is the eponymous hero of the new Werner Herzog documentary, 'Grizzly Man.' He got too close to his favorite animals, bears and ended up looking at one from the inside, along with his girlfriend. It sounds like a real 'must-see' for all animal-lovers.

About the only excitement on the local scene was one of the frogs in our pond managing to grab a dragonfly as big as itself.

Usually we see pitched battles between the local crows and the local fire department as the crows build nests in the centre of town and the fire department blasts the nests with high-pressure hoses. Otherwise the crows crap on the nice, shiny cars parked in town and drive the local Germans mad. But for some reason this has not been a feature of the local scene for some time. Perhaps the crows have abandoned shooting at sitting targets?

iskandra
25th Aug 2005, 20:04
Owls are useless....the tits in our garden are dead stupid and keep flying full speed into our windows....CLOSED windows....it makes a hell of a bang, and the stupid critters just fly away again as if nothing happened. Then again, the pigeons excel at that, too. They even leave funny imprints of themselves on the window pane.

We have a pair of owls and the only thing they do is eat mice. Lazy buggers.

TheFlyingSquirrel
26th Aug 2005, 00:23
Check this owl imprint out on our bedroom window ! Boy it must have hurt him !!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/theflyingsquirrel/S-Owl.jpg

Blacksheep
26th Aug 2005, 06:40
It was lucky that window was stationary. If it had been whizzing through the air at 240 knots it would have hurt even more.

A friend of mine lives in rural Staffordshire. He stocked the large pond in his garden with very expensive Koi. I was visiting when a Heron arrived on the scene and tried to catch a Koi for supper. Next thing I know there's a loud bang from behind me and a shower of feathers.

"You can't just shoot a Heron!" says I, "They're a protected species."
"Not round my pond, they're not..."

Tit shooting can be good fun, though you must be careful to use the right weapon. ;)

chuks
26th Aug 2005, 14:24
This friend of yours with the 'koi'... what does he think is going to happen when he isn't around? Shouldn't he go for a net over the fish pond instead of hoping to plug herons going about their lawful business?

iskandra
26th Aug 2005, 19:50
FlyingSquirrel, that imprint was HILARIOUS! I gotta find the photo I took of the pigeon- you could even see its EYE complete with lashes....

TheFlyingSquirrel
30th Sep 2005, 13:51
our Bluetits are driving us crazy again - I don't know if it's the time of year or tempreature change, but they are going mental - some are even trying to get in through windows etc ? What is going on ? We had 10 on the feeder earliler ! yes 10 !!! The little Nuthatch has been coming too - until the tits see him off !!

You know who you are !!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/theflyingsquirrel/DSCF0635.jpg