PDA

View Full Version : Who are the worst drivers

inca
24th Aug 2005, 20:11
Is it me or are minicab drivers just crap at driving?
They give no slack to anyone else and seem to just stop when and wherever they f:mad: ing want.

And...when one politely challenges them as to why they decide to stop and block all oncoming traffic, all that one receives is a load of verbal and the finger.

Almost as annoying as the person who always walks behind your car in the car park as you begin reversing out your slot.!!!

[email protected] the lot of them....in my town anyway.

CWL2YOW
24th Aug 2005, 20:18
They are the same the world over.

When asking why the driver had decided to stop directly outside a house, by double parking, and causing other drivers difficulty in passing, the response was "I'm picking up a fare" Fair enough (no pun), but when I asked why he didn't pull into a large space 10m in front of him, the confused look was followed by a barrage of abuse. How I laughed at the stickers on the side of his cab that read "Proud to be Professional"...

doubleu-anker
24th Aug 2005, 20:21
I have never rated taxi drivers very highly, anywhere.

eal401
24th Aug 2005, 20:25
They are the same the world over.
Absolutely right!

The taxi driver test is very simple, you take a copy of the Highway Code and tear it up!!

I don't know what arrangement they have with speed camera partnerships and traffic police, but they get away with it somehow. Christmas fund donations perhaps?

Jerricho
24th Aug 2005, 22:22
You want to see venom?

Ask Plazbot about his thoughts on taxi drivers :E :E

West Coast
24th Aug 2005, 22:50
Driver from the great state of Hawaii are the worst drivers.

TheFlyingSquirrel
24th Aug 2005, 23:51
people with no arms are crap at driving !

Direct VTB
24th Aug 2005, 23:51
I've now spent about 4 years in the UK, but to say that I'm impressed by the English driving skills..... NOT REALLY!!
I think its ridiculous that your allowed to drive on a dual carriage way when you've just got your licence without any practice :confused:
Trying to find an explanation what is so atractive about that outside lane... because everybody tends to spend so much [email protected]@dy time there:mad: :mad:

And for me not being English its very easy to slag of the English people, but before you all start on me... My house mate is English and he agrees completely with me.... SO my conlcusion is MOST of the English people do NOT know how to drive....

Ayo

PS. Just tried driving in Spain on my holliday, but if you don't have to, take my advice, stay of the road, unless you drive a [email protected] Tank.. :E :E

Conan the Librarian
25th Aug 2005, 00:30
If it is any consolation DVTB, you sound authentically British - way ahead of your four years time here. Ever tried fly fishing?

I am not alone, thank God.....

Conan

Onan the Clumsy
25th Aug 2005, 00:49
people with no arms are crap at driving Not really. Once when I was driving to work, a custom van changed lanes in front of me. It sort of pissed me off. so I honked the horn. When I pulled up along side, it seemed unusual, because the driver looked like he was sitting where the headrest should be. I looked closely, then I noticed, he was driving with his feet (I kid you not). He did a pretty good job for having no arms.

JudyTTexas
25th Aug 2005, 00:51
People on cell phones are the worst drivers... :*

...how about, drive 30mph when the speed limit is 60mph

...how about, drive down the center lane (of a double lane) not allowing anyone to pass on either left or right

...how about, drift over into my lane right when I'm parallel to you, forcing me into the lane of oncoming traffic!

...how about, sit at a light when it has turned green, ignore the honks of others, wait till it turns red then proceed

*sigh*... :}

Jerricho
25th Aug 2005, 00:58
sit at a light when it has turned green, ignore the honks of others, wait till it turns red then proceed

Maybe the guy that taught them to drive is coming the other way ;)

Parapunter
25th Aug 2005, 07:34
Evidently, cabbies have the lowest rates of accidents around. Heard that somewhere. Didn't apply to the one who pulled out with me in the back & T-Boned us a couple of years ago. Twunt.

Krystal n chips
25th Aug 2005, 07:37
Royal Mail "drivers" seem to have dispensation from the Road Traffic Act---:mad: -- the HGV fleet being the exception however.

angels
25th Aug 2005, 07:43
I was in Italy for 13 days recently. During that time I saw four RTAs in the town I was staying (Riccione). One fatality, and three ambulance cases.

All involved cars hitting motorcycles. It was the motorcyclists who came off worse.

When you step onto a zebra crossing in Italy you instantly become a target.

Crap drivers. Period.

Avtrician
25th Aug 2005, 09:29
Volvo drivers, older Mediteranean extraction wearing a hat, in the country ( speaking of Oz here). Should be shot but for the waste of a good bullet.:mad: :mad: :mad:

Definitely a close second are the mad mums pick up aand drop off at school.

tobzalp
25th Aug 2005, 09:40
You want to see venom?

Ask Plazbot about his thoughts on taxi drivers

Seriously when they invented taxi drivers they did so because c(_)nts and piles of shit had already been named. You can't blame them, they are generally the pits of society and as smart as a bag of hammers. If I were king for a day I would make it law to hit every taxi driver with a large sword twice per person. ****n sh!t.

cosworth211
25th Aug 2005, 09:43
By far the worst are drivers of the new breed of "mini mpv", such as the Zafira. Guaranteed to be in the middle lane on a motorway their whole journey, and when parking, the mpv driver has found either the only illegal place to park outside a school, or 2 feet from the kerb elsewhere (not to mention the 3 1/2 minutes it will take them to complete this manouvre :rolleyes: :p

fireflybob
25th Aug 2005, 09:56
Agree with the comments about taxi drivers but it's women (attempting) to drive 4 x 4 vehicles who dont seem to be properly in control of the vehicle or have no idea of the size of their vehicle when negotiating parked cars etc.

Flip Flop Flyer
25th Aug 2005, 11:20
Oh how isolated the lives of some posters must be, apparently never having set foot outside Europe, if not Lincolnshire. If you want to see really dangerous and crap drivers, come to the Middle East. I will guarantee you that you'll never see a European minicab or taxi driver in the same light again. To protect your general well being, start off in Bahrain on a week-day and then progress to Dubai. Take a ride with an Indian taxi driver in Dubai; if you survive without any severe mental traume you may proceede to the next level: Saudi Arabia. Take a few days to get used to it, and then take a ride with an Indian taxi driver once more. Having reached that level, venture back to Bahrain during the Muslem week-end (that's Thursday and Friday) and go sit at any road junction after nightfall to admire the driving skills of drunken Saudi Arabians. It's good fun, and you can pass the time playing the game of "SUV or BMW 7-series" and place bets on which of the above well be the next vehicle to high-speed crash. My all time favourite is the "left turn from the middle lane, cutting across traffic going straight at +100 km/h" - even a Land Cruiser looks pretty shabby after being broadsided by a Merc S Class at those speeds. Indicator lights? Bah, that's the only optional extra not installed. Foggy conditions? Turn on hazard lights and increase speed by 10% - the hazard lights will create an invincible bubble around your vehicle and the extra 10% will ensure you're the not the slowest guy on the road. I mean, a reasonable speed in visibility of less than 30 meters must be above 110 km/h, right?

Having reached such dizzing heights of motor mayhem, take a trip to New Delhi, Mumbai or Kalkoota. Take a taxi (obviously with an Indian driver) and make sure you're wearing a diaper, or have adequate supplies of clean undies in the immediate vicinity.

After all that is done, go back to the M1 and then let me have your report of who's the worst drivers!

Lon More
25th Aug 2005, 11:50
The two f:mad: wits in Maastricht yesterday evening.
One (frog tourist) who drove the wrong way into a narrow one way street then parked in a bus bay and a man in a white van who left his crappy Mercedes Sprinter and disappeared. Both acts happened as I approached and both refused to move. . About 5 cars behind me and we all had to reverse about 200m. before we could turn.
About 90 minutes later both were still there ( less than 100m. from the police station)

lexxity
25th Aug 2005, 12:09
Thw worst drivers are any approching or entering an airport, you have to take your life into your hands every single day!

And I agree with women who can't drive big 4x4's, god but they give those of us who can drive them a bad name.

I was stuck in a car park (at the airport) the other day waiting for some bint in her range rover with parking sensors negotiate her way out of a space and not block the road. She had to have her passenger help her reverse, what the fcuk do you think those bleepy little flashy sensors are for you daft cow??!!! And then she puts her window down to shout at me to get out of her way as she's reversing, well there must have been 10 feet between her rear bumper and my front bumper, how much room do you need you stupid townie? Then when she's finally got her big black lump of nouveu riche mobile out of the space and pointing in the right direction, the passenger has to climb (and it was like watching someone climb a mountain) in. Her passenger was a little old lady aged about 75. Then, just when I think, hooray I can finally head off home, she finds that she can't negotiate the twists and turns of the multi-storey we are both in so that takes ANOTHER 20mins of one foot forward, ten feet back, round the bend a bit, reverse a bit, forward a bit! JESUS!

rant mode OFF.

Lon More
25th Aug 2005, 12:17
Lex But wait until she's taking the Tarquinettes to a Gymkhana, with a horse box and a knacker's yard reject inside. I drove a Kenworth with a 53 foot trailer recently which I think took up less road

Binoculars
25th Aug 2005, 12:19
Everybody except me. :rolleyes:

simon brown
25th Aug 2005, 12:45
The only prerequisites to being a taxi driver are to have no sense of direction and talk opinionated bo***cks out the back of your head

Ozzy
25th Aug 2005, 13:21
All drivers in Cairo. The horn appears to be a more important piece of equipment than the brakes.

Ozzy

CWL2YOW
25th Aug 2005, 13:26
FFF - My ride in a taxi in Cairo was interesting - it's the first time that I've seen a 3 lane road turn into a 5 lane highway. How? By using the white lines separating as lanes of course...

The taxi in Moscow could have been my last. There was a distinct smell of petrol in the car, but that didn't stop the cabbie from lighting his cigarette with a naked flame...

The only decent taxi driver I've had was in St Lucia who refused to drive over the speed limit, which was just as well given the state of the roads, and cursed his fellow breed speeding their way to an early grave.

Antoninus
25th Aug 2005, 13:39
SUV drivers. Rude, arrogant and dumb.
Having enough money to buy a Porsche and end up behind the wheel of a Cayenne is totally beyond me..
And don't give me the "it's useful to carry things" and the "it's safer" excuses. It's about elbowing your way into traffic and showing off and nothing else.
Go buy a freakin' eighteen wheeler, it's even bigger.

TheFlyingSquirrel
25th Aug 2005, 13:43
Thank God for London cabbies - Same old conversation, but a little more interlectual and they always get you within 100 feet of your door before they say, er....left here then mate?

Jerricho
25th Aug 2005, 14:21
I have always found BMW drivers who do Israeli martial arts especially bad drivers :E :E

Biggles Flies Undone
25th Aug 2005, 14:23
:rolleyes: Where did he go to? Hope his car didn't break down :E

RatherBeFlying
25th Aug 2005, 14:24
Signal and Brake Lights Burnt Out

The poor dear had passed her driver's test the week before and was driving her mum home in her brother's girlfriend's car up a straight 2-lane highway in the country with no streetlamps in an overcast, but otherwise clear night.

Having slowly caught up with her over some miles, I observed a dull red light blinking intermittently as she eased over to the rear sholder and decelerated.

So I put on the left hand turn signal, changed lanes to the oncoming left lane (this is in Canada) and accelerated to pass when she made a left turn to a gravel road without signalling:uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh:

High beam and horn failed to penetrate her consciousness. Vigorous contact between my front bumper and her rear tire got the message through and most fortunately avoided disruption to her left taillight assembly.

HM Plod: Put on your left turn signal -- Put on your left turn signal

Her: It's on!

HM Plod (after entering inop turn signal into notebook:E ): Put on your brakes -- Put on your brakes

Her: They're on!

HM Plod enters only right brake light working into notebook:E

Note that in North America the brake and signal filaments are commonly contained in the same bulb and both flash red. And the Yanks claim intelligent design :}

Passing Blind

In heavy weekend traffic on two lane roads, there's been a few times I've seen Darwin Award aspirants pass just before a hill crest. My reaction is to put on the brakes in case there's a tanker truck coming the other way as I want lots of room if that happens.

Trailers Without Safety Chains

As we both crested a moderate hill going opposite directions me in an R5, him pulling a U-Haul trailer twice the size of my car, I heard a tremendous clank.

In my rear-view mirror:ok: I was treated to the sight of the trailer spinning in my lane shortly before it ran into the ditch, hopefully with expensive and fragile items:mad: :mad: :mad:

A workmate's brother-in-law got killed by one:(

SUV Drivers in Older Expensive Neighborhoods with Narrow Winding Roads

The roads were built for narrower cars, but the SUVs seem to be driven as if they had as much room to spare as in a Triumph Sprite:}

Jerricho
25th Aug 2005, 14:38
I really don't know Biggles.

I sensed a lot of pent up agression in that one.

Crashed&Burned
25th Aug 2005, 15:56
Anyone had the joy of commuting during the Lagos rush hour?

Imagine a 6 lane highway, 3 each way, but with 7 lanes moving towards town.

Let me explain, since the 3 lanes into town are jam packed, drivers use the other 3 lanes, normally out of town, to get into town as well.

The 7th lane of traffic travels along the centre of the highway (they don't have many crash barriers).

Once seen, never forgotten.

acbus1
25th Aug 2005, 17:25
Wimmin! :rolleyes:

*ducks and runs like mad*

Ozzy
25th Aug 2005, 17:31
Is that Nigerian wimmin then?:}

Ozzy

Foodbomber
25th Aug 2005, 17:34
Worst I have seen were the Liquid Propane Gas tanker drivers in Agra. Saw two tankers on wrong side of dual carriageway, travelling at 40 or so heading straight for our bus.
Only cos our driver dived for the lane of traffic heading other way we didnt get blown up.

:ooh:

JudyTTexas
25th Aug 2005, 21:35
acbus1 ...I agree with you! :E

Romeo Charlie
25th Aug 2005, 21:47
At the risk of sounding a completely biggoted so & so I'd have to say that in general the worst drivers on Uk roads are elderly asian women.

OllyBeak
26th Aug 2005, 02:27
Mr FlopFlip,

Got to agree with you about driving habits in Middle East and India. First time in Ceylon (not yer fancy new whatsit name) leaving the airport I asked the driver in all innocence whether traffic drove on the left or right there. “Oh yes, sir. Most definitely!”

Bestest bad, though, was in the south of Oman. For nine or ten months of the year there would be no rain at all. Road surfaces got polished with rubber, oil, exhaust fumes, etc to a perfect shine. Then came the annual drizzle. 'Twas a wonderful treat to sit by the (only) roundabout and watch the waltzing. One after another they came, slid and spun. Very little damage, though, as there was bugger all to hit. Even the Honda 90 riders just picked themselves up and looked around in astonishment.

frostbite
26th Aug 2005, 12:38
Mums on the school run - nothing else terrifies to that degree....

FLCH
26th Aug 2005, 15:12
At the risk of sounding a completely biggoted so & so I'd have to say that in general the worst drivers on Uk roads are elderly asian women

I 'd have to agree with you, my mom was one of the first( if not the first )Indian woman to get a British drivers licence, back in 1958, even she says they can be "very inconsiderate and bloomin' dangerous".

maxman
26th Aug 2005, 19:41
Have to agree with Ozzy about Cairo. Taxi from the airport to the hotel on a three lane road at night (lights optional) sharing this 80ish mph road with horses and carts. Scary.

ShyTorque
26th Aug 2005, 20:18
On my first visit to Phuket I was driven 45 kms from the airport to a hotel and at the end of the journey I still hadn't decided which side of the road they were supposed to drive on!

Our taxi driver at one stage crossed the entire road and overtook on the opposite grass verge :ooh:

Kero Zen
26th Aug 2005, 20:40
Absolutey!!!
Been to Rome many times, they are probably the worst drivers ever!
They have 4 vehicules lane at red traffic light when you should only have 3! Motorini (scooters) cross on zebras! And if you cross on zebras when the light is green, like you were told, well just look once again at traffic, those b**tards come right at you, full speed!
For the rest, Rome is beautiful!
Cheers!

PT6ER
26th Aug 2005, 21:09
When I lived in the UK it was Volvo drivers that gave me the heebie jeebies - met an Aussie biker who claimed they should be called Vulvas due to the c%nts that drive them!

Here, it is large Caddys driven by little old ladies wearing those "all covering" sunglasses. So much metal being controlled by someone who has the vision of a myopic mole.

BOH
26th Aug 2005, 21:33
I'd have to say Elderly Drivers who I swear cant see past the steering wheel let alone in their mirror!Twice ive been reversed into, and seen it happen to others many many a time . . . AND THEY NEVER STOP AND LEAVE DETAILS!

Tuba Mirum
26th Aug 2005, 22:45
As a sometime taxi driver, occasional white van man (you shop, we drop), motorcyclist temporarily restricted to four wheels, and presently Volvo driver, I seem to have a foot in several camps (to stretch the metaphor, and my anatomy, a bit).:uhoh:

My money's on the people who drive silver cars. :rolleyes:

tart1
26th Aug 2005, 22:53
Oh dear, that's me then!! :\

Romeo Charlie
26th Aug 2005, 23:35
Bugger! I have a HGV licence, a PSV licence and drive a silver Vovlo so I guess it's me......

skydriller
27th Aug 2005, 07:44
Maxman forgot to mention that the Oxcarts and Donkeycarts are usually coming the other way and in the middle lane of the 3 lane carrigeway........;)

......For those wonering about the optional lights : It is widely believed that having your lights on drains your vehicle battery, alot of drivers only switch on their interior lights...Imagine the scene....

....driving across the desert you see a feint light up ahead, so you turn on your headlights to see what it is...Other driver then switches on his headlights as he sees you....But you must'nt leave them on too long because you might just drain your battery....So both drivers now turn off their lights.......:ouch:

.....Add to this that vehicles are not in that good a state of repair and so break down alot by the side of the road. And of course as a safety precaution the best thing to do is to obviously build a small cairn of rocks in the road about 50 yards infront/behind your vehicle so others know not to crash into it. OK, fixed vehicle now, but I must be careful to drive around that pile of rocks I left in the road when I drive off......:suspect:

Regards, SD

cyclicmicky
27th Aug 2005, 07:47
Am I correct in my assumption that continental traffic lights are advisory only??
:} :E

Gordon Fraser
27th Aug 2005, 08:25
I learnt to drive in Bombay(Mumbai?) in the sixties. On my first driving lesson, I pulled out into a main road not noticing a motor bike coming from my right. The bike glamced off my bumper and proceeded on it's side down the road and finished up, with the rider, on the steps of a statue in the central reservation. I asked the instructor "now what?" and he told me to proceed as normal as it was the motor-cyclist's fault as he was going "too fast".
I passed my test a couple of weeks later.For this I was asked to drive approx 100 yds and make a right turn, told to stop and was told I had passed.
The standard of driving in Bombay/Mumbai is not good - I wonder why?

effortless
27th Aug 2005, 08:40
Who are the worst drivers

Judging by the speed camera - lane discipline threads I'd say that "Jet Blasters" are good candidates. http://jm.g.free.fr/smileys/jump_fire.gif

Crashed&Burned
27th Aug 2005, 09:25
Traffic congestion is always caused by the guy in front. Think about it.

egbt
27th Aug 2005, 10:52
I would have said Brazilians but in two recent trips to Italy, a total of 3 days, I had three accidents to report to the hire company. The car was stationary on each occasion! and yes one offender was a taxi driver smashing the back of the hire car whilst still in the hotel car park.

:} :} :}

inca
27th Aug 2005, 13:52
Had my latest brush with death whilst positioning in taxi to LHR to go home. He was at one stage touching 110mph.

When politely ordered to slow down he said that my company's pilots are always in a hurry.

Ta mate, I would like to get home yes.....but alive and in one piece preferably.

[email protected]

Alpha Leader
27th Aug 2005, 14:23
Definitely Indian drivers ..... no idea of why their motorcycles or cars might have been fitted with indicators, children (plural) on front passenger seat without seat belt, no helmets on motorcycles, women riding side saddle on motorcycles, families of five on a scooter.... you name it :uhoh:

Last year, the Indian edition of "Autocar" even managed to name a car without air bags "Car of the Year"

:ok:

Kero Zen
28th Aug 2005, 14:39
Hi everybody!
Living in a region where we have a lot of them, ie French Riviera, I can assure you that old people are some of, if not, the worst drivers. Pay particular attention to these old people driving with a hat or a cap, for some reason, and from my experience, they seem to be the most dangerous ones!:}
Have a good day and drive safely!:D

airship
28th Aug 2005, 14:45
Good candidates would be those who don't notice that they're driving with folded wing-mirrors...sensible enough when parked in narrow streets but... :mad:

radeng
28th Aug 2005, 16:16
Most frightening was a taxi in Istanbul. Very close was Mumbai, followed, (but only just) by a taxi in Firenze - he was reading the paper while driving! - and a maniac in Milan, who believed red lights didn't apply to his taxi.

White van drivers seem to be consistent regardless of country - Russia, western Europe, USA.

airship
28th Aug 2005, 16:55
White van drivers seem to be consistent regardless of country - Russia, western Europe, USA. I know a van driver of Algerian origins...he's extremely gratified to know that someone appreciates the difference! :ok:

click
28th Aug 2005, 18:46
East European drivers....used to driving a Skoda with a smaller engine than my lawnmower....now transition to a more powerful car and leave brain behind. Keystone kops just look on as they have no real pursuit car nor gas to chase anyone.

Would have loved this back when I had my 'stang but now I drive a 'sensible' car..:yuk:

bjcc
28th Aug 2005, 19:49
Cypriots!

I spent 3 years of my youth there, before I was old enough to drive....It was only after being back in the UK for 6 months I realised signs were not there to as sscenery...Although it only took 1 week as a baby policeman to realise that I was apprently mistaken!

Went on holiday to Cyprus a few years back...Made the serious error of getting in a taxi, and after the third set of red lights we sailed through without even slowing down, I asked the driver about it...he replied 'You still alive arn't you?'

He didn't get a tip!

tart1
28th Aug 2005, 20:01
I do agree with Zero Ken that old people can be a serious hazard.

How many times do we read in the paper about some 80-something who has mistaken the accelerator for the brake in an automatic car and demolished someone's garage, wall or worse?

They back out of spaces in car parks without looking and drive so slowly sometimes that they are a real nuisance.

If I reach that age, I will be prepared to take a test to check my competency. Sorry, but testing the over-70s is the only way to keep dangerous pensioners off the road.

Now I will duck to avoid the inevitable backlash from elderly Prooners!!

:uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh:

angelorange
28th Aug 2005, 20:02
Rule of thumb seems to be:

"anyone driving faster than you is a MANIAC!"

"anyone driving slower than you is a SLOWCOACH!"

The funniest:
Watching a group of 8 Greeks arguing over a coffee table that was engulfed in their own cigarette smoke as to who was the best driver of them all.

Scariest:
Moscow taxi in 1992 rush hour - pedestrains beware! Pavement (side walk to US cousins) became the extra traffic lane. Closely followed by Taxi ride to Simpferopel Airport (pot holes the size of cars) at 160 +KMH in a van run on AVGAS! And the flying school said they couldn't fly that week due to a shortage of fuel!