PDA

View Full Version : Television Warnings in North America

Jerricho
24th Aug 2005, 15:28
For those who haven't had the pleasure of experiencing TV here in North America you're missing out on perhaps the biggest ass covering technique ever.

Just about every fricken program contains some form of warning at the beginning.

"The following program contains scenes of violence/nuidity/coarse language/adult themes etc...... Viewer discretion is advised"

I'm not exaggerating. Just about every program. Shows like "South Park", "The Osbornes" and alike you can kind of understand, BUT it extends to just about everything. "The Bill" cops it (sorry, bad pun). There is even a warning for "Scenes of teen partying"...........WTF!!! Teen partying warning. Maybe if they were half nekkid and all, but come on.

This has to be the biggest cop out in ass covering ever.

CWL2YOW
24th Aug 2005, 19:36
Don't forget the ad breaks every 5 minutes and then the same warnings repeated before the show starts...

Gerhardt
24th Aug 2005, 19:53
It would be different if there were actually some good nude shots to which the warnings applied. But no, just the teasers disguised as parental guidance warnings.

Jerricho
24th Aug 2005, 20:01
Just as a further, I have just seen the news and they had a great shot of a homicide downtown................all with a lovely 5 second shot of a great big patch of fresh blood and stuff from the murder over the footpath.

Sorry, no warning there for the real gore folks.

Idunno
24th Aug 2005, 23:32
Don't forget the ad breaks every 5 minutes and then the same warnings repeated before the show starts... After the adverts for the haemhorroid creams and strange diseases you should be aware you might be sufferring from - dial this number for more information...1-800-my dick felloff

Lock n' Load
25th Aug 2005, 00:23
And of course, before Family Guy, the warning on occasion is.......

"SCENES OF ANIMATED NUDITY"!!!!!

Call me old-fashioned but unless it's Jessica Rabbit or maybe, after a couple of beers, Betty Rubble (ruined forever by being played by Rosie O'Donnell in the movies), I ain't getting hot and bothered watching a cartoon. :eek:

Jerricho
25th Aug 2005, 00:52
Maybe that's cause the guy from Family Guy has testicles for a chin.

Gerhardt
25th Aug 2005, 02:39
Lock'n'load, what about Kimpossible. Com'mon, she's HOT!

Ascend Charlie
25th Aug 2005, 02:46
And any 30-second commercial for a pharmaceutical product has the first 15 seconds proclaiming its virtues for stopping headaches / removing skin spots / correcting twisted bowels / self-induced facelifts or whatever, then (like an Oz political ad) another voice speaking at 260 words per second for the next 15 seconds, with all the disclaimers. "Thisproductisnotforusebypersonsundertheageoftwocenturiesorby anyonewithabeatingheartorfunctioninglungsandinpossessionofha lfabrain...":8

You can watch any number of people being shot, stabbed, strangled, blown up, run over and any other violent death you can think up, but never ever show any naughty bits of the body. They can corrupt young minds, you know...:uhoh:

Jerricho
25th Aug 2005, 04:15
.......and you can't use naughty language either.

I was watching Spaceballs the other night, one of my favorite movies (Daphne Zuniga *sigh*). One of the best parts of the movie is when Dark Helmet orders the desert to be "combed" and one of the guys with the afro comb announces "We ain't found sh*t". Classic part of the film..........which was cut out completely (the film was on about 10:00 at night). WTF!!??!?

Krystal n chips
25th Aug 2005, 06:34
What warning do they put on when Dubya appears on screen then ??----just curious :E

angels
25th Aug 2005, 06:42
Singapore is another country which has a curious attitude to the body.

I think the film was Dark Angel. Some alien goes around injecting people with heroin and then stuffing a tube in the victim's brain to suck out the endorphins the heroin creates. The endorphins are used a drug on the alien's planet.

During one scene a struggle ensues twixt the alien and a girl. During the struggle a tit briefly pops out of her blouse. The alien duly wins the struggle and you see him stick a ruddy great needle thingy into her brain.

Guess which bit the Singapore TV station declined to show?