PDA

View Full Version : Dubai Skipper sent to Prison.

Bird On
24th Aug 2005, 10:54
As some will have read in todays Gulf News,

a ships Captain has been sent to prison and severely fined by Dubai's Public Prosecution after being found guilty of accidentally causing a workmans death involving his ship.

"According to the court, the Captain carried out his duty inappropriately and failed to adhere to safety measures."

Not to much imagination required to directly relate this vague, far-reaching legal approach and its consequences to any event involving a Captain and his Aeroplane in Dubai, ( acknowledged, it can happen elsewhere).

Anyways, as always be careful out there......now what was that about that Legal Insurance again?

newswatcher
24th Aug 2005, 11:06
Reads a bit like the corporate manslaughter charge available in the UK, but not hugely succesful in practice when taken to court.

The court appears to have found the captain "responsible" for overseeing the loading of the ship. It therefore finds he is responsible for the negligent act of incorrectly loading the freight onto the ship, causing loss of balance, and death of employee.

billy34-kit
24th Aug 2005, 12:40
I love the hype in the middle east isn't, last year 880 workers have died on different construction site in Dubai only...how many loco in jail!!!

newswatcher
24th Aug 2005, 12:46
Have they had a court case relating to the airport terminal collapse last September? Don't remember seeing anything yet.

I recall a court case following an incident at Dubai Dry Docks killing three Asian workers, where a "responsibility" case was brought against a UK Expat, but this was rejected due to insufficient evidence

ironbutt57
24th Aug 2005, 13:48
Makes you think twice.... like working in the USA...huh?? it's not about reality, but about legality.....everything we do has to be done within the context of...."what's it going to look like at the hearing"....welcome to the 20th century boys n gals....us USA guys n gals have been living this nightmare for the last few decades..now it's everybody's turn to join the "litiguious future" of professional trades...whatever and wherever you...ply your trade....only the solicitors win....

Sheep Guts
24th Aug 2005, 14:00
I think your missing the point ironbutt. I think whats being said here is that there are bi=polar laws for locals in positions of power and expats. If you kill a few phillipinos on your building site and your a U.A.E. citizen youll probably walk free. But if theres an expat invovled they luv to throw them in the cauldron.

I maybe wrong with assumptions.

Sheep:E

ironbutt57
24th Aug 2005, 15:08
So the morale of the story is....expat managers pay the price for all......surely you cannot be suprised?????:yuk: :yuk:

doubleu-anker
27th Aug 2005, 17:39
You mean a law for mossies and a law for infidals.