PDA

View Full Version : Lancaster near Bath 23/08/05

SB22
24th Aug 2005, 08:35
Whilst driving through Midford near Bath last night, I saw a Lancaster, farily low flying off towards Wells (ish) way.
Was a beautiful summer evening and a a joy to see it.
Does anybody know where it had been/where it was heading?

BossEyed
24th Aug 2005, 11:01
Positioning for the Dartmouth Royal Regatta (http://www.raf.mod.uk/bbmf/august05.html) today, I expect.

Pity the wx for the display is far less convivial than for last night's transit, though.

nick0021
24th Aug 2005, 12:44
I saw i too. was Rugby training at the time (Wells way). Was a lovely distraction. When i saw it, the lancaster was flanked by what looked like a spitfire and a Hurricane.

Regards,

Nick

Conan the Librarian
24th Aug 2005, 13:39
And I thought I was going mad... 1930 in Lechlade... Walking the Pooches down the river and heard what I felt sure, was the Lanc (at least) in the distance. Couldn't see it, but the sound is so distinctive.

Conan

MadsDad
24th Aug 2005, 14:30
It was also around a couple of weekends ago- Friday 12/08 (I think; could even have been 05/08), heading South-West over the Bristol channel then Monday heading North-East (more or less following the M4, presumably coming back from wherever it had been for the weekend. St. Mawgan?).

Farmer 1
24th Aug 2005, 17:03
Conan the Librarian

... 1930 in Lechlade...

This man is a fake!

The Lancaster prototype did not fly until 1941!

I live not a million miles from RAF Coningsby, where the BBMF is based, so the sight of the aircraft is not all that unusual (nowhere near usual enough, mind). On one occasion last year, I drove past the threshold of the westerly runway, just as the Lancaster was lining up for take-off. I don't know why, but the sight seemed even more fantastic than when it is flying.

Farmer.

EGTE
25th Aug 2005, 06:40
The Lancaster, along with a Spitfire & Hurricane, were inbound to Exeter. They were based for a couple of days whilst preparing for a display at Dartmouth. Nice to see a Lancaster parked on stand 10 instead of a Boeing 737. Even nicer to see the three flying on Wednesday evening!

With the Red Arrows also present at Exeter on Wednesday afternoon it was almost like Fairford! :cool:

bwfg3
25th Aug 2005, 11:59
Im fortunate enough to be on BBMF this season. The Lanc, Hurr and Spit are at Biggin for the back end of this week. Going to Southend at weekend then nightstopping Prestwick next Saturday.

treadigraph
25th Aug 2005, 12:34
If you chaps happen route over Croydon on your way to Biggin today or tomorrow during office hours, give me a wing waggle, I'm in the tall square building! :ok:

Farmer 1
25th Aug 2005, 17:23
If a poll was organised to list the top ten aircraft, the very mention of which brings a tremble to an erstwhile stiff upper lip, I reckon bwfg3 would have named three of them.

And he works with them - and others.

And I guess he gets paid for the privilege.

There ain't no justice in this world.

Treadigraph, let us know, won't you?