PDA

View Full Version : Passports

shiftkeying
24th Aug 2005, 01:09
1) Will a bog std British passport get me into the USA or will I need a visa?

2) what's the cheapest way to get to Tenessee from the UK?

cheers

Bob

tall and tasty
24th Aug 2005, 01:34
Check with the airline/tour op and the US embassy in London or the Forgien Office web site. Used to get in with just filling in a green landing card but that has all changed and as I am not in the loop anymore would not want to give you incorrect info. I know it involves finger printing, checkin is now much longer and photos taken on arrival

Hope that helps, as to Tennessee check with airlines or online web sites like expedia.co.uk, to taylor make a hols with flights only etc, It may be easier to get an internal flight in the states then go direct

TnT

Onan the Clumsy
24th Aug 2005, 02:34
Will a bog std British passport get me into the USA or will I need a visa? You're fecking joking right? We haven't had an empire for a hundred years.

In case you haven't noticed...

(and I got to use this ten years ago)

...there is a war on you know.

:}

In case that didn't appear to be a helpful reply (http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/index.html)

Lock n' Load
24th Aug 2005, 05:13
If you have a full British passport, NOT overseas territory, etc etc, you can get a visa waiver.
If you fly from the UK, the visa waiver forms will be handed out by cabin crew and the cost of the waiver is included in the "taxes" portion of your airfare. If you go by a land border, it'll cost you $6 and they only accept US funds (I found this out the hard way, trying to cross the border near Buttf*ck, BC - had to drive another 50 km to a BC town with a bank to change funds).

answer=42
24th Aug 2005, 07:23
In order to have a visa waiver, doesn't your passport need to be machine readable?

A machine readable passport is one that has a series of capital letters and other characters under the photograph area.

longarm
24th Aug 2005, 07:32
Yes machine readable passport for a visa waiver. Otherwise a visit to Grosvenor square is required.

UniFoxOs
24th Aug 2005, 07:51
While we are on the subject, can anyone tell me if the visa in my last but one passport (issued approx 1980) that says something like "Valid for ever for stays as long as you like" is actually still valid? I haven't bothered with it on the last few visits, as there is enough hassle anyway getting in to the States and I didn't want to give the "Jobsworths" any excuse to cause further delays, so I took the Visa Waiver route, but I would like to know if it is worth keeping it.

ukc_mike
24th Aug 2005, 08:54
I had a B1 visa (multiple, indefinite) visa issued in 1980.

Revoked (without prejudice) by immigration at Boston in 1995.

you don't need a visa, you have a uk passport. anyway we don't issue visas like that anymore.

They still let me in.

However, my current passport is not machine readable, so I would need a visa now. And the application form that you are supposed to fill out before going to the embassy includes the question "Have you ever has a US visa revoked?" but no space for an explanation...

patdavies
24th Aug 2005, 09:10
There are no longer any indefinite visas.

ukc_mike

If you are still using the same passport (and therefore passport number) they will know that the answer is YES. If you reply NO then your visa will probably be refused as you will have been caught lying on your application form. If you answer YES, then they will ask you about it at the interview and then you get your chance to explain.

BTW, just noticed that you said it was revoked in 1995, so I guess that this isn't the same passport.......

answer=42
24th Aug 2005, 10:16
By the same token, UniFoxOs should NOT try to use his indefinite visa.

If he brings it to the attention of the US authorities, then they will have to revoke it and he will have to answer 'Yes' to the question 'Have you ever had a visa revoked?'

Ukc_Mike
Why not get a new UK passport, which would be machine readable? Better to conform than to explain.

mocoman
24th Aug 2005, 11:11
I have a 10 year B1/B2 that was issued 2002 but is in my 'old' passport.

I have had no problem travelling with my 'new' passport but using the valid visa in my 'old' passport to gain entry to the US. (Carrying both my 'valid' passport and my 'cancelled' one with the visa)

Obviously both are machine-readable UK passports and there is a long record of entries and exits using the B1/B2 as well as H1's and H2's and visa waivers over the years.

They (INS) seem to be happy that at least they have a continuous record of my travel over an extended period

hth

answer=42
24th Aug 2005, 11:21
mocoman

I'm sure what you're saying is quite correct. The difference between your situation and those of the other posters is that your visa type still exists in law, whereas theirs does not.

It is interesting that those holding the 'indefinite period' visa were apparently neither given 'grandfather rights' or had another visa type substituted. Or perhaps someone can correct me?

Jordan D
24th Aug 2005, 12:33
Regarding indefinte visa - depends on the country and type .... I have Indian relatives who are resident in this country with Indian Passports, and have the stamp (their visa) which permits "indefinite right of entry, abode or work" ....

Jordan

answer=42
24th Aug 2005, 12:41
Jordan,
There are absolutely no cross-country generalisations that you can make about visas, except within Schengen.

Darth Nigel
24th Aug 2005, 14:32
I'm not sure you can get a direct flight from UK to Tennessee. Poking around, I see that KLM offers a direct flight from Amsterdam to Memphis, and a bunch of carriers have flights that change in the US (Newark International, Chicago O'Hare...).

So depending on your finances and time, and where in TN you want to end up, you might be cheaper taking the train to Amsterdam and hopping the direct flight.

If cost is the main factor, then there are a number of two and three-hop flights that will give you a scenic tour of some of the more unpleasant airport concourses in the US.

Another thought might be to get a direct flight to Atlanta and take the bus, or SouthWest (depending on whether you want to smell the driver or not).

Bre901
24th Aug 2005, 21:54
I had a B1/B2 (permanent unlimited) visa dating from 1981 which has been revoked without prejudice (when the visa-waiver came into operation) in the mid-90s. I once asked the immigration officer (on arrival in the US) if I had to answer "YES" to the "Have you ever had a US visa revoked?" question and I was clearly answered I had to answer "NO", which I have done twice a year since then.

Dr747
24th Aug 2005, 22:33
Similar but question but for a Belgium passport...I have a mechine readable passport .Do i need a Visa for USA or not?not that i am planning to go to see those tight Butt immigration officials in US...but still need to know just in case i ever get paid to visit USA!!!
P.S Time to wake up from my dreams!!!!;)