PDA

View Full Version : Bandboxed

tubthumper
23rd Aug 2005, 13:47
Where did the expression "bandboxed" come from? Someone out there must know....:confused:

tony draper
23rd Aug 2005, 14:52
Can't say I ever heard that one?, there a puter prog called Band in a box and Terry Wogan used ter say Banjaxed a lot meaning buggerd I think, so tiz prolly a Irish phrase.
:cool:

Jerricho
23rd Aug 2005, 15:33
It's a term used quite extensively by ATC types in Blighty. Used to describe when sectors are combined and the R/T frequencies are either cross-coupled, or just shared. Perhaps the origin is that of the "radio air bands" being put onto the one "transmitter box" or something like that?

Either that or a really stretchy vagina?

Lon More
23rd Aug 2005, 15:40
Either that or a really stretchy vagina? That's a banned box

This was covered before. I think it was the RT callsign of a unit years ago.

(It wasn't Irish though; that would be bandjaxxed)

None of the above
23rd Aug 2005, 16:11
There was a popular BBC radio show called 'Variety Bandbox'* which was as much a part of popular culture during and after WW2 as, say, Monty Python was a few years ago.
Was the term borrowed from there perchance?

* Before my time, I hasten to add!

CUNIM
23rd Aug 2005, 16:45
Jerricho is right, certainly back to the early sixties, you bandboxed the sectors and/or the frequencies when the traffic decreased - a normal occurance in those halcyon days of yore when I was a young controller.:{ in Australia as well as in the UK some time later.

Standard Noise
23rd Aug 2005, 16:59
"This was covered before. I think it was the RT callsign of a unit years ago."

Stretchy Vagina!? Christ on a bike Lon More you've worked at some funny units, haven't you?:} :ok:

Jerricho
23rd Aug 2005, 17:36
Actually, if we're talking Bandbox.........well, try to fit a marching band in.

The Nr Fairy
23rd Aug 2005, 20:03
Jerricho - you thinking fondly of the MIL again ?

ORAC
23rd Aug 2005, 20:14
Bandbox (http://fmc.dotnet-services.nl/crc_nieuw_milligen.htm) - CRC Nieuw Milligen. God, that takes me back.....

Lon More
23rd Aug 2005, 22:12
SN the words were Jerricho's, not mine.
Funny Units? Well there was LATCC and ScATCC for starters.
ORAC HTH did I forget that? I worked with Dutch Mil for about 20 years.

Jerricho
23rd Aug 2005, 23:02
you thinking fondly of the MIL again ?

Yeah. She certainly is one. I tend to use a shorter word though ;) ;)

Davaar
23rd Aug 2005, 23:14
"Bandbox" 1631. A slight box of cardboard or thin chip, for collars, hats, caps, and millinery; originally made for the bands or ruffs of the 17th century. Shorter Oxford.

The most common "bands" nowadays are those worn at the neck of (a) some protestant and some RC clergy and (b) barristers; and known on this side of the Atlantic as "tabs".

In the case of the clergy I believe they are intended to simulate the fire at Pentecost, q.v.

From the box meaning we have, or had, the expression: "If he's meant for you, he'll find you, even if you are hidden in a bandbox", as used sixty years ago by my Granny, and as used in her girlhood a hundred and twenty years ago. Nothing to do with electronics.