PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Pilots who love to fly

Sumatra
23rd Aug 2005, 11:48
I'm sure many commercial pilots must also enjoy private flying? But why? I'd imagine it must be a form of lightweight escapism but I'd have more respect for informed conjecture from the board than my own hypothesis.

CosmosSchwartz
23rd Aug 2005, 18:42
You're looking at it the wrong way round!;)

It's because we love to fly that we became pilots!:ok:

Earthmover
23rd Aug 2005, 23:12
You got all day?? Well, it's nice to be able to fly when I want, and it's NEVER 0600!! - I love the different skills needed (especially tailwheel), I can take friends flying because they can't jump-seat any more, the social side ...... drone, drone!!!

Sumatra
30th Aug 2005, 14:24
Thanks for your replies. Curiosity got the better of me sine. I suppose commercial pilots are more restrained in their day to day flying that there must be a natural progression for them to apply the same principals to their less restrained pastime of private flying. A commercial pilot who also flies privately may be able to get ordinary rates on their life assurance policy whereas a private pilot with no commercial experience would be viewed as an additional risk with a heavy mortality loading on their life assurance policy. Before I looked into this, I really thought a commercial pilot who spends possibly many frustrating hours with delays etc could become some sort of 'mad max' when they take to the air privately where the restraints are more lenient but life mortality tables appear to tell a different story.