PDA

View Full Version : Wet landing - what went wrong?

Navaleye
23rd Aug 2005, 10:26
View this:

Here (http://media.putfile.com/harrier_ejection_mpeg)

Caution: might not work on some video cards and may take a while to load.

CBA_caption
23rd Aug 2005, 10:47
Somebody moved the boat!

CBA:ok:

Ewan Whosearmy
23rd Aug 2005, 11:21
IIRC, inadvertently moved the nozzle position lever instead of the throttle.

AlanM
23rd Aug 2005, 11:44
Sweet of him to try and land his parachute back on it!!

Plenty of chat on the Southend crash on here.

SASless
23rd Aug 2005, 13:11
Diddled the Pooch! (sounds like the right description):E

Navaleye
24th Aug 2005, 16:30
Was that aircraft ever recovered? If not I'll go and put my cozzy on and swim out with a souvenir bag.

Farmer 1
24th Aug 2005, 16:47
"Can I have my tie, please?"

Radar Monkey
24th Aug 2005, 20:53
There was an Incident Report about this one but basically.....

Tired display pilot.....moved wrong stick....insufficient height to recover.

Aircraft quickly recovered, surprisingly intact.

BossEyed
24th Aug 2005, 22:08
It wasn't Sarfend, it was Lowestoft; and it was recovered - there were several pictures on the 'net at the time (http://www.suffolkcam.co.uk/harrier_recovery08082002.htm) showing it being craned onto a barge.

The Rocket
25th Aug 2005, 00:35
Radar Monkey,

Apart from the entire front end which was smashed off, and the fuselage which was found to be cracked in two of course:p :p

As an aside, wasn't this initially blamed on the flying suit, ie: sleeves being undone, and caught the nozzle lever as he went to select full power? or was I reading another accident report?

HTB
25th Aug 2005, 07:42
Rocket

You might be thinking of one of the handlebar moustached idiot's many escapades; in this case a formation take off (Tornado @ LBH) where it is claimed that flap was deselected by the lever becoming caught in the sleeve/glove (never mind the detent).

Same base, approach in doggers wx, similar excuse for no flap approach as he emerged from cloud at about 70 deg bank pointing at the runway caravan.

althenick
25th Aug 2005, 18:44
In the bad old days if you set your SARBE off you got a Tankard or something from the manufacturers. Is that still the case?

L Peacock
25th Aug 2005, 19:10
HTB

Though your sentiments are probably well founded....
There isn't a detent between Mid & Up (provided the flaps/slats weren't previously DWN).
Pedant mode off.

Conan the Librarian
26th Aug 2005, 10:37
I think with the Lowestoft incident that the jockey landed back upon his by now damp Harrier and broke his ankle.

There was also an incident IIRC some years ago, where an ATC girl was getting a back seat ride in a Harrier when things went badly pear shaped. She landed in the flames of the accident. The Pilot managed to get in and drag her free.

Conan

PPRuNeUser0211
26th Aug 2005, 18:22
Yeah, was a mis-selection as opposed to sleeve issue, I believe. Think there was chat in the accident report about the poor display swimmer having worked too many weekends etc during the season and not having had the time off to catch up on sleep or something?

On the sleeve note, had a gd friend who recently selected the engine/start switch to o.f.f. whilst airborne (just after rolling) with a sleeve... new growbag later and a quick switch selection, but fortunately o.f.f. mode is inhibited in flight anyway! (not that he knew that at the time!)