PDA

View Full Version : Tangled parachutist dies in OZ accident

Tartan Gannet
29th Apr 2001, 21:07
According to BBC Ceefax (Page 118) a parachutist died when his chute became tangled round the tail of the aircraft when he jumped. This is stated to have caused it to go out of control and the crew and the other skydivers saved their lives by using their chutes for serious not sport purposes and jumped and saved their lives, the tangled man being killed when the otherwise empty aircraft crashed near Sydney.

I cannot see that the survivors can be blamed in any way as there would have been absolutely no point in their trying in vain to release him and all dying as well.

DuncanMac
30th Apr 2001, 01:10
What sort of aircraft? Since when have civillian jump pilots and crewworn 'chutes?

Tartan Gannet
30th Apr 2001, 01:25
Duncan Mac, as usual BBC not very specific. It was a Parachute jumping trip which went wrong from what I can deduce. Man jumps, carried back to tail of aircraft fouls tailfin and control surfaces and probably affects the balance. Plane goes out of control and remaining skydivers and crew use their chutes and jump to safety. Man tangled up with tail "buys the farm".

Sorry I cannot be more precise but that is as much as Ceefax gave. Perhaps someone from Downunda can supply more detail.

spin doctor
30th Apr 2001, 02:00
The aircraft was a Cessna Caravan. The plane was at 14000', and had opened up the door when a chute deployed inside the cabin and being sucked out taking the parachutist with it. The parachutist got tangled up on the tail ripping it off. With the aircraft in a nose down spin without an empennage, the other 10 jumpers managed to get out. The pilot who was an experienced jumper himself had to get out of his seat, open the roller door which had shut due to the g forces in the spin, and managed to jump at around 600' agl. All jump pilots are advised to wear chutes in Australia even though it is not a requirement. I have been a jump pilot and I wouldn't go near a jump plane without a chute. Further to this story is in the DUNNUNDA AND GODZONE section of PPRUNE.

Tartan Gannet
30th Apr 2001, 08:38
Thanks Spin Doctor, a sad and cautionary tale.

lineup
30th Apr 2001, 11:31
In Switzerland it is even a insurance requierment . Everybody on board of an a/c dropping skydiver have to wear an shute. It saved already lifes I know about, when a Pilatus Porter for the same reason crashed.

static
30th Apr 2001, 11:59
I used to fly skydivers in a cessna 206 turbine, soloy conversion. I always wore a chute and my door could be jettisoned by pulling one handle. Exactly for these kind of accidents.
I once had a chute deployed in the aircraft, but luckily the door was still closed, so it didn`t get sucked out. especially the reserve-chutes are easily deployed by accident. A good reason not to have safetybelts installed in jump-planes. It tangles up easily with chutes. But that`s illegal, although safe.

GWYN
30th Apr 2001, 13:17
I've done a very limited amount of jump flying in Oz and was also compelled to wear a 'chute. I didn't object really! I never recall seeing a jump pilot wear one in the UK though, although I do recall a similar incident at Dunkeswell in the late 70s. Aircraft was C185, G-BBEX I believe. I recall that the parachutist was finally cut free from the tail of the aircraft shortly before reaching ground level! All fortunately survived.

anito4a
30th Apr 2001, 15:59
From Melbourne's The Age newspaper about the accident;

http://www.theage.com.au/news/2001/04/30/FFXUHSIO3MC.html

gurnzee
30th Apr 2001, 21:04
Ive heard stories of guys jumping out and actually going for the tail, on Navajo's and Islanders, can this be true. We all know what a crazy bunch 'they' are; I had a bloke once jump out then when I landed and picked up for the next load he was back in with his chute unpacked under his arm, and he repacked during the 15min climb - in a C182 with 3 other madmen!!!

Xeque
1st May 2001, 00:22
Gurnzee,

I wouldn't have let the pratt get into the aircraft without wearing a packed and ready 'chute.

DuncanMac
1st May 2001, 00:32
GWYN - Dunkeswell incident if I remember rightly was a RNRM para club affair, and the pilot, whose name escapes me, a young Royal Marine corpral who was an accomplished parachutist himself. Or was he the loadmaster? One of the two. Whatever, he did have a PPL as well as being a jumper.

Mr moto
1st May 2001, 00:40
They'll climb all over the aircraft if you let 'em. I've had 'em on the roof in a Turbine Beaver. You just don't know where they are.
Tail feathers are big no-no's though. Crazy they may be but most realize that that kind of thing is going to end in tears!

Tailstrikes are not totally unknown particularly on King Airs and I believe the Bandit has had a few too.

As for the packing of canopies in the aircraft....not when I'm sitting up front, thats a promise.
Most skydivers I've had the pleasure of flying for have prefered me to wear the 'chute, so I do. If thats the only chance of survival, I want it on my back!

GWYN
1st May 2001, 14:36
DuncanMac

Not sure about the jumpers, they may have been RNRM. Back in those days, I think they did jump from civvy aircraft. I think the aircraft was flown and owned by RB (don't think I should name him here!).