PDA

View Full Version : Who's got a crook back?

Counter-rotation
23rd Aug 2005, 02:49
I have noticed myself feeling ever more stiff and sore after medium to long stints at the controls. I'm pretty sure sitting on a seat designed in the '50s, with a further 45 years of wear and tear applied, is contributing in some way.

Just curious if anyone else has noticed the same thing? You only get one back, and I'd like to look after mine...

CR. :confused:

OzExpat
23rd Aug 2005, 08:23
I confess to having been stiff and sore at times.
But never at the same time.

prospector
23rd Aug 2005, 08:50
OzExpat,

But very likely after a good time!!

Prospector

tinpis
23rd Aug 2005, 10:10
I just hurt all over.:{

Wombat35
23rd Aug 2005, 19:35
Off to the Chiro @ 0900.... although not so much the back

It's the :sad: (eyes) that have come off worst... too many hours of form' staring into the Sun as the lead passed through.... yes I know that your meant to look away.... but try it at 20' !

Ohh well, sh1t happens.

Captain Nomad
25th Aug 2005, 07:31
Yep, finishing my day today with a sore neck and a sore back for some reason! If I am like this now I shudder to think of what it'll be like when I'm 50!:sad:

Better get into some yoga exercises or something that will twist the spine into some contortion other than the usual cockpit hunch/sqaush! Maybe that would help...

Transition Layer
25th Aug 2005, 10:56
Mine can get a bit sore at times too. I knew I shouldn't have stopped dating that chiro.

I did tell her though there was a massive market fixing pilots, particularly GA, flying in aircraft seats designed in 1950 when ergonomics was something you studied before you became a stockbroker.

TL

Counter-rotation
25th Aug 2005, 22:55
Thanks for the answers, useful or otherwise! The main reason I pose the question was to see if perhaps other pilots had any ideas to help with this sort of thing.

As a coincidence, I had some treatment for a sore back the other day. My other half has been nagging me to see someone about it for ages. He asked what I do for a living, and until then I had not really linked the two. Then later that day, I was walking along the line,and in a Beech a/c I saw a "thing" which I can only describe as a "lower back support thingy" - got me thinking... Is anyone else using something like this?

Maybe "Medical & Health" might be a better forum, but I think if it is a problem, it's a GA one.

OzExpat and Tinpis, good laugh thanks. With you two around I'll have to be careful how I write things in future!

CR...

PS Driving a busted arse car around chasing work, and sleeping in the back has NOTHING to do with it! Ha Ha :ouch:

disco_air
26th Aug 2005, 07:58
It ain't just 1950's seats that promote back injury.

Try the Airvan - designed and built in the turn of the millennium!

...disco

AerocatS2A
26th Aug 2005, 10:22
I've noticed a fair number of my crew use little back support net things. It's pretty normal to get a sore back sitting in those old seats for 5 hours at a time.

Some things I've done that have reduced my own back problems:

1. EXERCISE!!! A fit back is much less likely to have problems than an unfit one.

2. I try and carry weight evenly (when not flying). If there are bags to carry somewhere I try and carry similar weights with each hand. If any bags have a shoulder strap, I use it.

3. EXERCISE!!!

Pinky the pilot
26th Aug 2005, 12:44
I've got a 'crook back' and it's a direct result of what I once did in an aircraft!:mad:
The correct medical term for my injury was 'an unstable compression fracture of the first lumbar vertebrae' or as I said to the Doctor who informed me of my injury and I quote the exact words that I used at the time......
'is'nt that just a ******* fancy term for a broken back?':mad: :}
That was over thirteen years ago and I am never free of the resultant discomfort and pain resulting from that injury. The only respite I have is access to prescription painkillers (capadex capsules and tramal tablets) the use of which I try to keep to an absolute minimum, but one thing that has helped keep me sane is regular visits to an understanding and skilled chiropractor.:ok:
Another is occasional back massages, preferably performed by attractive members of the Female gender, these however being far too infrequent!!:{ :{

You only live twice. Once when
you're born. Once when
you've looked death in the face.

inthesoup
27th Aug 2005, 22:32
Counter-Rotation,

Those "lower back support thingy" do work. You can get them from any chemist.

I had problems with my lower back as well, went to a physio instead of a chiropractor, able to fix it in about a week and ever since i brought one of those back supports, i've had no problems.
It's just a half circle foam that sits across your lower back. Great for those long flights as it supports your lower back.

18-Wheeler
28th Aug 2005, 11:07
6'6" tall here, it's always sore. It's a byproduct of being fairly tall.

BankAngle50
28th Aug 2005, 11:55
The NG has the most uncomfortable seats. Hard to believe that you get a better seat in an 30K car than a 80Mill machine. :ugh: