PDA

View Full Version : career advice, what im in for

yammy
23rd Aug 2005, 02:40
ok, here it is. Been dreaming of flying since I was a kid. Went for a introductory flight the other day and loved it. I really wanna become a professional pilot coz it's something I know I'll enjoy doing and die with a smile on my face. But in my situation, I don't know if its possible. I did alot of research on courses, different aeroclubs and stuff. All I know is that it's bloody expensive. But money won't be a problem coz im pretty sure it will pay off in the end. Also I finished year 12 but failed most of the required subjects like Physics, Maths etc. Not because im stupid... just didn't attend class to often. but i guess that's stupid in a way, and yes i regret it now knowing that i may need it to fly proffessionally one day. I had a look at the Qantas cadedship, and they needed yr 12 Maths B and Physics. Which i don't have. So my other choice is flying school. Which ranges anywhere from 40k + for your ATPL, MECIR NVFR and so on. Lets say I finish my course, what career paths do I have. Or am I just better of doing PPL just to satisfy my urges?? anyhelp will be greatly appreciated. thanks

tinpis
23rd Aug 2005, 03:24
edited coz its my anniversary

:{

Yeh go for it kid.

I got a couple kids here are not stupid either but they look like they may finish year twelve in year twenty.
Thank kerist they dont want to have anything to do with aviation.

vee1-rotate
23rd Aug 2005, 06:57
Not too despair...while it is silly that you didn't put in at least some effort for your year 12 studies (especially the subjects that were important), you are able to do bridging courses that satisfy QF and other major airlines (I believe)....

Also, don't get too cut up over the QF Cadetship...there are plenty of other ways to get into the industry...my suggestion to you would be to take the long road, which will pay off in the end...

The courses you mentioned are not lump sum payments...all you need to do is get a nice part/full time job that pays enough to support your flying, and work your way up. If you are pulling in enough, you are quite cabable of doing a few hours a week in your early stages of flying.

Don't get sucked into some sort scheme that are around with flying schools these days, where you hand out a large some of money for a set number of hours. Pay as you go, and keep a steady pace.

Another important thing to mention is medicals. It would highly recommended you go and get a class 1 medical before you begin your flying. The last thing you want is to outlay a huge wad of cash for flying, and find out you aren't able to satisfy the class 1 medical requirements. It's important to get this done early in your flying career!!!

Lastly, enjoy it. As much as many will can your career choice and the industry, aviation is very rewarding, and if you keep your head screwed on straight, you will enjoy it thouroughly!!

Cheers:ok:

Erin Brockovich
23rd Aug 2005, 11:56
Yammy, if you are serious then I’ll try to give you some useful advice to become a professional pilot in a short space of time on your own.

1. The first thing I suggest is to get some photos for inspiration. You will need them because it will take you about 12 months of working long hard shifts on a mine site to save for your training. Do it all in one hit while your young and not tied down. No loan and a good experience. If your still keen on being a pilot after this then your not wasting your time.

2. Put your money into a term deposit and don’t touch it for the next year. Now go back to a senior college and repeat year 12. You’ll be amazed at how easy it is to study and get good grades after some time working in the real world. Mum and dad may even let you stay at home to save funds.

3. Now it’s time to go flying. You’ll have to do your own research on this but you’ll have 2 years to do it. All I can say is to spend your hard earned money wisely! Let the flying schools earn your business. Get everything in one hit from GFPT to ME-CIR and ATPL subjects. You will also need about 250hrs to get your first job. You don’t need to do all your training at the one place either. You’ll know by the time you get your PPL if you want to keep going.

4. Go bush. You will have a better chance of getting a job and it’s the quickest way to get your hours. Also very rewarding.

Now, assuming you are now 17 years. Follow this plan and hopefully you’ll have –

$40,000 - $60,000 saved by turning 18.
Have ‘A’ Grades in Maths, Physics and English by 19.
Have 250hrs with a CPL, ME-CIR and ATPLs by 20.
Have the Qantas minimum requirements by 21.
Have 1500hrs Total Time and 500hrs Multi by 23.

5. It will be a hard slog but worth it. You would be extremely competitive going for an airline job with 1500TT, 500ME at 23 years.

6. You did it all by your self. Do it and you’ll know what I mean.

If I had my time again, this is what I would do. Don’t worry too much about career paths – there will always be a need for pilots at some level. Getting the class 1 out of the way early is not a bad idea either.

Good Luck :ok:

Erin.

4SPOOLED
23rd Aug 2005, 15:03
i started my flight training at 22 because i dont have rich parents to burn their pockets so, i have had to do it myself. I also see alot of wannabe pilots going through the system that really look like they will fall on their ass and are still "school" kids.

It will be a hard slog, im almost at my CPL now, and i have had to sell my small business, and looks like i will sell my house aswell to advance my training.

The mines would be a good choice as mentioned by Erin, just dont get used to the money and spend it all. I started out as a driller before purchasing a small business and starting my flight training. Only took 4 years to have money to start training...

Good luck m8

rmcdonal
26th Aug 2005, 05:05
500 hours in command of fixed wing aircraft (excluding ICUS), or

250 hours in command of fixed wing aircraft (of which up to 100 hours may be ICUS) and 1000 hours First Officer time on turbine RPT operations, or

150 hours in command of fixed wing aircraft (excluding ICUS) and 1500 hours First Officer time on turbine RPT operations, or

250 hours in command of fixed wing aircraft (of which up to 100 hours may be ICUS) and 500 hours in command of rotary wing aircraft.
http://www.qantas.com.au/info/about/employment/pilotsDirectCriteria

"Have the Qantas minimum requirements by 21."
Yeah, you may have the required 500hrs (if you can find a job with 250hrs) but it would be in nothing bigger then a C182 if your lucky.
Most operators have there minimums for a C210 job at about the 500 mark.

Good luck with, but MAKE SURE it's what you want to do. Aviation is a bit like gambling, you have to put a lot of money into it to get any back.