PDA

View Full Version : What headset do you have?

Chadzat
23rd Aug 2005, 02:20
G'day all,

I am in the market for a new, good quality headset and have my eye on one in particular, but I thought I might see what others in the industry use. This is mainly posed at the GA pilots.

So...What headset make and model do you use?

Also, if you have had any experience with the ENC/ANR, whatever you want to call it, is it worth the extra money?

Cheers

Sunfish
23rd Aug 2005, 07:03
I think some may agree that Bose ANR's are the current gold standard. David Clark ANR's are good but my battery life is terrible.

SAM 2M
23rd Aug 2005, 07:15
I have used my own Sennheiser HMEC 25KA for a the last few years on the 757 and found it to be very good. I think it is the same that BA use.

The NR is very good and this particular model has small but good ear pieces which mean that it can be used on the jet and also onlight a/c. (I think that Sennheiser recommend it for both - very different- environments....see the website(

SAM :D

maxgrad
23rd Aug 2005, 08:22
Just started using a DC H10-13XL after 15 odd years with a H10-40.
Worth the extra $ IMHO

Howard Hughes
23rd Aug 2005, 08:36
Have had the same H-10-40 for 18 years, if it's long life you want go for David Clarkes.

Having said that I'm about to update to a BOSE ANR!!

7gcbc
23rd Aug 2005, 10:33
H10-40, since 1996, no probs, but positing this is obviously tempting fate.

Chadzat
23rd Aug 2005, 11:28
DC H10-13XL

That is precisely the model I am looking at maxgrad.

Ok a bit of background from me in case that might help with opinions.

I am still very much a wannabe. 20 hours to go until CPL and have been recommended by numerous GA pilots (charter guys and instructors) to invest in a good ANR headset NOW. I currently have an Altronics cheapie...that is still going great, but isn't the most comfy on long navs.

I have to weigh up if I shell out and get the DC headset (and hopefully get to use it in a job!) or just hold onto the Altronics and see what happens down the track.

AIRWAY
23rd Aug 2005, 11:56
I also have been using DC for some time now, and never had any problems whatsoever very good and reliable, most would tend to agree.

:ok:

Transition Layer
23rd Aug 2005, 12:55
DC 10-13.4, nice and lightweight and comfy.

Great headset for a new CPL and doesn't cost you the earth. (Around $500 from memory). If you've got the money for an ANR then go for it, the difference is amazing.

I went through two cheapie brands before I finally got the sense to buy a DC. Should have saved myself the inconvenience and got one all along.

TL

InTransit
23rd Aug 2005, 13:03
Throughout my training, and for most of my charter career I had an old set of Peltors which the Old Man handed down. Bloody good headset, almost as tough as nails...until the cord finally gave way.

Figured I would stick with the Peltor brand, and buy one of their new headsets....POS!! :\ Broke after two months of use, and found it near impossible to get any sort of service out of the buggers. Called Marv Golden in the states (whom I bought the headset off), they redirected me to some Peltor dude in Singapore, who then redirected me to another Peltor dude in Sydney. I was told I would have to send the headsets back to the manufacturer in Europe as they didn't support the headset here in Oz. I ended up taking the headset to a backyard electronics guru who fixed it for $40.

After that rant, I see Peltor now have wireless (bluetooth) headsets for sale. :confused:

vee1-rotate
23rd Aug 2005, 14:09
DC H10 13.4 ...never had a problem, comfy as all hell with the gel ear seals...magic on a long nav!

Dave Incognito
23rd Aug 2005, 22:16
DC 10-13.4’s are great. A few of my mates have the DC ENC models and they have all mentioned that they are very power hungry.

Whatever headset you are considering, I would definitely recommend trying out in a plane before handing out up to $1,500 of your hard earned. I tried a pair of the Bose ANRs on the ground and was impressed at what that background hum seemed to cancel out. Had another go in a PA31 but this time was very disappointed considering all the hype.

Sure they were lighter and slightly more comfortable, however the overall background noise did not seem significantly lower than my DC 10-13.4’s. The bloke next to me (who owned the Bose headset) was trying out my DC’s and was equally surprised.

Ozeflyer
23rd Aug 2005, 23:40
If you can justify it, go for the Bose X. They are streets ahead....

QSK?
24th Aug 2005, 00:20
Bloody hell, not another headset thread!

Why don't you do a search of Pprune on "headsets", "Dave Clark" etc to find out what we all use? You'll find enough previous posts on headsets to keep you occupied for over a year. This subject has been done to death a hundred times on Pprune fora by contributors from all over the globe.

Chadzat
24th Aug 2005, 03:49
whoops, sorry about that. I just found all the threads you are talking about. The newbie is showing in me.

This can be deleted now.

drshmoo
24th Aug 2005, 05:47
I have had the DC 10-13.4 for the last 1500 or so hours and I am yet to have any problems with it. Dave Incognito and I have tested them in the rugged Kimberley and East coast doing charter ops and also Transition Layer can attest that this same model cancels out the traffic noise of the M5 which for belting around 29L would be pretty important:ok:

Transition Layer
24th Aug 2005, 12:04
Hey drshmoo, be kind, you know I did venture out into the training area occasionally.

By the way, I seem to recall having my H10-13.4s on that fateful night when you made a d1ck of yourself on the radio. Without the 13.4s it wouldn't have sounded half as sweet! :}

TL

Big g'day to Dave Incognito as well!!!! :ok:

victor two
29th Aug 2005, 07:25
I bought a pair of cheap arse altronics for about $170 bucks brand new. They were great. Lasted two years without any problems at all and them they just fell into a million pieces mid flight.................. make of that what you will.

Metro man
30th Aug 2005, 12:35
Dave Clarkes for me. Owned an H10-80 for the last 14 years, replaced a couple of ear seals and periodically cleaned the plugs with an ordinary household non stick cleaning pad, and that's it.

Was talking to the owner of a pilot supply shop who recommended DC because of the easy availability of spares. He also said I could probably sell my headset for the same price I paid for it :D

Wheeler
5th Sep 2005, 10:40
Recommend Lightspeed ANR . Very quiet, very comfortable and light, much cheaper than Bose or DC - and even switches itself off so you don't come to find dead batteries next time you fly!

(BTW after ANR, you'd never go back to PNR's)