PDA

View Full Version : Nigerian Recruits! Any

ZAZOO
22nd Aug 2005, 15:38
Whats going on in the country with the influx of new recruits?

From my own observations and investigations the number of new young Nigerian Pilots (Qualified) coming in has reduced drastically over the past few years.

Is this down to the old issue of families terrified of their sons and daughters up there flying or is there just a lack of interest in this profession of ours.

On the other hand could this also be due to the high cost of training and the availability of funds to pursue a career in this field. I have been told its not just pilots that are lacking but also engineers, technicians, Air traffic controllers e.t.c.

I consider this very sad and feel that more should be done to encourage our lads from getting into this field. The number of positions available today and with the number of current job holders to go on retirement soon will definetly find just a handful of us around.

I for one would love to see more Nigerians in this profession.

How do we get more of our young ones flying! This situation is sad.

Zazoo

HappyPilot
22nd Aug 2005, 15:51
I have been told its not just pilots that are lacking but also engineers, technicians, Air traffic controllers e.t.c.Maybe it has to do with the fact that NCAT was run into the ground.

Although I can assure you that there certainly isn't a shortage of co-pilots in Lagos at the moment. Maybe when this Virgin guys eventually take all their pilots, then we'll see a shortage of co-jo's. Cant really speak about the engineers, technicians, Air traffic controllers though. On the issue of flying training, Associated have brought in a couple of cessna's for a flying school they are starting. Dont know when they'll start, but anything to challenge NCAT would be very welcome.

HP

Dotun
22nd Aug 2005, 17:09
Hello my friend,

The Cessna thing is very much welcome actually. This means I have things to fly around when next am there on vacations or something.

With regards to co-pilots, I can assure you that there are many young guys (JAA / FAA CPL/Multi/IR) out there at the moment looking for jobs. The problem is that these guys are not rated and the employers are not ready to invest in them. Again, guess when VK is done with all the rated guys, they (employers) will have no choice but to take them on and put them online one way or the other.

Regards
DMan

Exhaust Manifold
23rd Aug 2005, 06:22
I train alot of nigerians and the feeling i get is that 80% of them that come to fly don't really want to. Only seen a few of them make it past comm subjects for that exact reason.

sky waiter
23rd Aug 2005, 10:48
Agree with exhaust, work with him training many nigerians, and there pasion for aviation is non exsistent, although admittedly there are one or two have a slight interest in other aircraft besides the one they fly... But believe me if they get past the comm subjects you will have many more reqruits on the way!

Dotun
23rd Aug 2005, 19:41
Hmmmmmmmm,

Thats interesting. A lot of Nigerians seem to be going to South Africa at the moment and are returning to Nigeria with their SA CPL (This is due to the visa restrictions and price). I will say 50% of the Nigerians new CPL holders are from SA.

Infact, the youngest female Airline Pilot in Africa ever as reported by CNN (Nigerian) graduated from South Africa and her younger sister is about doing the same (I think trying to break the record or something).

My point is that, they dont have to be Nigerians not to like aviation or be a slow starter, am sure another instructor from somewhere will probably say the same about some SA Nationals under training.

Regards
DMan

Exhaust Manifold
24th Aug 2005, 07:53
Well half of them after (finally) finishing their ppl's go "missing" and only pop up again when home affairs start snooping around. A good example is a guy that sat here for 7 months and kept saying money's on the way. Home affairs then tried to deport him and now suddenly he's got money out of no where.

Coincedence?? I think not!! Just an example of what happens to alot of them.

sky waiter
24th Aug 2005, 08:24
While i agree with dot un ( forgive the spelling i think thats right), there a alot of sa nationals who are slower and yes we have nigerians on the ball, one at the moment doing very well with his training, but even he in his own words said that after a few flights he has "new respect for us pilots because he didn;t regocnise how hard it was" now surely if you are flying to a different country to do a course a little bit of research into the subject is required... Hence the passion thing, it is nice to see there are so many hopefuls out there, but alot of them do dissapear mysteriously once they have done some flying on our visa, another one who has been here 6 months plus and still hasen't completed his PPL, due to "money problems" suspicious to say the least...:oh: :oh:

Engine Noise
24th Aug 2005, 19:44
I was at NCAT early this year to make enquiries and i was shocked to find out taht the cost is higher than what you can get in SA or USA especially considering the fact that alot of your time will be wasted.I m not really sure but the amount quoted was between 5-7M NAIRA for the spl.
I think that is one of the reasons that discourages young Nigerians.

I was lucky to have gotten the US visa recently without much stress and maybe others dont get because they dont meet the criteria, TSA ,etc.

BALEWA
19th Sep 2005, 18:44
My advice for any of the brothers opting for training is to head for the states point blank.

For goodness sakes do your research people, and do like most of us did get the visa but dont just hop out there with only your ppl cash in hand!!!

Take your time and raise the whole thing man yes the whole shabang, then get out there and train.

When it comes to Nigerians heading to SA for any kind of training phew you can count me out of a yes vote on going there man (All you have to do is sit with those SA for five minutes) Take your hard earned cash to yankee bo.

Zazoo how far bros? Give us a call man.

Balewa.

Recuperator
20th Sep 2005, 18:54
Whats up Balewa, don't you like their smell??:p

Farrell
22nd Sep 2005, 11:32
HappyPilot.....your mailbox is full mate!