PDA

View Full Version : Historic maxims of air combat

gareth herts
22nd Aug 2005, 11:59
Hi all

Not a flier myself, just an interested observer who has just re-read Robert Prest's "F4 Phantom - A Pilot's Story" for the umpteenth time.

I wondered while reading if there are any of the great maxims of air combat that simply no longer apply in this technological day and age - or are the old rules as useful today as they have always been?

Thanks

Gareth

BEagle
22nd Aug 2005, 12:19
As taught to the locals by a chap who once taught in a certain foreign air force as part of one of BWoS' gun-running deals:

"If attacked from astern, enter a 45 deg turn to port. Hold it for 15 sec, then reverse into a 45 deg turn to starboard."

"If attacked from head-on, enter a loop at the merge, then resume straight flight"

"If attacked from the beam, turn away from the attacker and engage a/b"

:E

6foottanker
22nd Aug 2005, 17:25
' If you think.....you're dead!'
Now where did I hear that......?

BOAC
22nd Aug 2005, 19:08
If you can find a copy, look for the much respected (sadly deceased) Keith Holland's 'Art of Coarse Combat' for a laugh. THOSE rules still apply :D

Archimedes
22nd Aug 2005, 20:12
The book by Robert Shaw, Fighter Combat might be of interest to you, Gareth. I think it's been republished recently.

Without wishing to breach the etiquette about advertising on this forum, a certain very well-known on-line purveyor of reading matter and other sundries would appear to be carrying it. (Hint - think South America, long river and basin....)

Hueymeister
22nd Aug 2005, 21:59
'Beware the Hun in the Sun'

never break right?

Rakshasa
22nd Aug 2005, 23:01
Quoting an Old boss.

"That's a bloody expensive tie!"

gareth herts
23rd Aug 2005, 00:59
Thanks for the replies so far - I'll hunt that book out Archimedes - if I can just work out your riddle ;)

I guess the question more specifically was whether technology has made some of these "rules" redundant and whether they still form the basis for modern day air combat training as they were in R.Prest's day - 30 odd years ago.

Cheers

Gareth

iccarus
23rd Aug 2005, 09:48
Particular fan of this one myself - applicable only to certain jets of course!!

"Sight is life , speed is groovy. An aircraft at 1.6M has no six"

maxburner
23rd Aug 2005, 10:47
When I was a lad flying F4s, the boss had a saying: 'Lift is a gift, thrust is a must and 8Gs are not enough.'

As true today, I suspect, as it was then.

The rule I liked to apply was 'always enter a fight behind a Sparrow.' For Sparrow read Skyflash or Aim 120.

Crashed&Burned
6th Sep 2005, 20:26
If you think you are in full control, you're not going fast enough.

Rakshasa
6th Sep 2005, 22:21
"Hueymeister: 'Beware the Hun in the Sun'"

Nah that one still applies only these days we say "Beware of the Pun in Scum."

I'll get me coat.... :}