PDA

View Full Version : 1 Time Engine Out

Gunship
22nd Aug 2005, 08:29
Well done to Professional Crews :ok:

Llewellyn Prince

Cape Town - Terrified passengers on a 1time flight from Cape Town to Johannesburg grabbed one another's hands and prayed aloud when one of the plane's engines "gave out" and it had to turn back to Cape Town International Airport.

"It was very traumatic. People who do not even know each other took hands and prayed that we would land safely," a female passenger from Centurion outside Pretoria said on Sunday evening.

The woman, who does not want to be named, said the packed passenger plane left Cape Town at about 15:40 for Johannesburg.

"Shortly after take-off we heard a loud bang. The captain announced that one of the engines had seized, but that we should not worry about it. We turned back to Cape Town airport and, fortunately, we landed safely," the shocked woman explained.

"We were transferred to a Nationwide flight that departed at 19:10."

Desmond O'Connor, commercial manager of 1time, said none of the 144 passengers were ever in any danger during the flight. He said the pilots experienced problems with the plane's fuel regulator (FCU) about 15 minutes after take-off.

"They decided for safety reasons to turn back to the airport to have the problem looked at."

"None of the engines of the MG8 plane gave out. The FCU regulates the amount of power at which the engines turn. Problems with this unit are not a matter of life and death, but causes the flight to become very uncomfortable for passengers because one engine has more power than the other and it makes the plane lean to one side."

"If an engine seizes, our planes are more than capable to continue flying with one engine," he said.

Link (http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/News/0,,2-7-1442_1757694,00.html)

22nd Aug 2005, 09:12
MG8 plane

Sounds like One Time is operating some sort of Mig fleet......:}

George Tower
22nd Aug 2005, 10:13
Terrified passengers

It was very traumatic. People who do not even know each other took hands and prayed that we would land safely," a female passenger from Centurion outside Pretoria said on Sunday evening.

I bet there wasn't a single soiled undergarment in sight amonst pax and crew.:*

Spoke to a very good friend of mine in the UK who told me of an incident he had. Not going to give specifics as I have not seen this in the public domain as of yet, however I wonder just as to the journalistic prose that would be employed by the reporters in SA to describe this.

B757 happily cruising along at FL360 (RVSM remember) a much larger heavier a/c is climbed from FL350 less than 10nm in front of them to a highler level. 757 flies into wake turbulence.....small buffet then from nowhere a wing drop of more than 60 degrees.......5 hosties have broken legs. Crew recover and continue home.

I think that could have induced a bowel movement:ooh:

With 25,000 children being raped every year in South Africa you would think jounos would be far too busy to worry about sensationalist BS regarding professional flying.

VanMan2005
22nd Aug 2005, 14:38
Well said GT

It's no wonder so many people are S%*t scared of flying, with all the crap that gets spread around in the press.

VM

wheels up
22nd Aug 2005, 15:01
Ah yes, the good old MG8!

Jangys
22nd Aug 2005, 15:09
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Desmond O'Connor, commercial manager of 1time, said none of the 144 passengers were ever in any danger during the flight. He said the pilots experienced problems with the plane's fuel regulator (FCU) about 15 minutes after take-off.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wonder why they were holding hands and praying then......

"Shortly after take-off we heard a loud bang.

Never heard of an FCU making load noises....... One Time has a history of incidents, wonder how they are going to recover from this one, Nationwide flying the pax home.

Wonder if some of these pax will be booking with Nationwide in future....

Solid Rust Twotter
22nd Aug 2005, 15:49
Doubtful.

1Time still delivers a good service, despite these attempts to sully their reputation.

Nationwide, Spoories, Comair have all had incidents similar to this and yet the sensationalist gutter press seems fixated on 1Time.

I guess if they're dumb enough to believe inaccurate reporting of second hand information from pax with no knowledge whereof they speak.:rolleyes: Just waiting for the reports of the captain hanging out of the window and screaming for help as they were on final approach..... Worthless barsteward journos.:yuk:

stop&go
22nd Aug 2005, 17:58
Well done to the boys up front,can c some are still from the old school.:ok:

pointer41
22nd Aug 2005, 18:11
Quote:
"None of the engines of the MG8 plane gave out. The FCU regulates the amount of power at which the engines turn. Problems with this unit are not a matter of life and death, but causes the flight to become very uncomfortable for passengers because one engine has more power than the other and it makes the plane lean to one side." Unqoute.

Yeah right, at least the pilot did not do consecutive straight rolls when the engine failed, as per Hollowood and other media entertainment. I can think of other reasons why an engine failure can become very uncomfortable for passengers.

Good show to the crew! Me thinks to make heaps of money and write a book for journos: "Aviation reporting for dummies." This will be followed by: "Aircraft types and how to spell them". Hey, I might even buy my own A380 after this!

Shrike200
22nd Aug 2005, 19:26
Well done to the boys up front,can c some are still from the old school.

Er, is that the school that knows how to handle an engine failure/controlled shutdown? Sorry, couldn't help myself :ok: :ok:

ANVAK
22nd Aug 2005, 20:34
Failure, shutdown - it really doesn't matter. We we're inbound and #2 after the 1-Time and it sounded all under control and well handled. Another non-event for which crews are well trained.

Solid Rust Twotter
23rd Aug 2005, 05:55
ANVAK

...So you saw the captain hanging out of the DV window screaming for help, then....:rolleyes:

Isn't there a special seating arrangement that can be reserved for journalists? Say, something like having their lips riveted to the trailing edges for the flight....:*

Skyhooker
25th Aug 2005, 19:59
I see that Jangys is still as big a wally as ever!!

Jangys:Why don't you concentrate on getting some flying hours instead of surfing Pprune and commenting on subjects of which you have absolutely NO idea.

Maybe then you'll get to be a REAL pilot and they just MIGHT let you out of ops.... Maybe...

Goldfish Jack
27th Aug 2005, 09:06
Stop being horrible to wally's - Jangys is a compete village idiot.

Spoke to my colleagues and they said the crew were cool, calm and collected and did a great job, unlike some other airlines.......................

Seems they made the right choice and did the right thing - DEFINTELY A REASON TO TRAVEL WITH THEM - at least the crew know what to do - their training must be good.

Well done to all

Atlanta-Driver
27th Aug 2005, 12:18
1Time is owned and run by some very experienced and knowlegable 'Self-made' people. They provide a good product with a reasonable price for the public. I wish all the best for them.

Engines do call it quits every now and then, hardly a number it has been made to be.

barryt
29th Aug 2005, 10:46
And since 1time operates the MD-80 series aircraft, it should, (statistically speaking), be one of THE safest airlines in the world - that's one really reliable and safe aircraft according to these statistics - beats hell out of the 747 even...look at these statistics:

http://www.airdisaster.com/statistics/