PDA

View Full Version : Emirates Rosters

Dissapointed
22nd Aug 2005, 05:15
Its now the 22nd August and the September roster is still not published. :*

I cannot understand why this computer system has to be so long in producing the roster. Can someone more technically advanced than me tell me please why, when we have to complete our bids by the 11th of the month, does it take so long to produce the roster?

If EK management are reading this then please do something about it!

FlyMD
22nd Aug 2005, 05:39
Having worked in rostering, I would venture that this has nothing to do with your planning and bid system. Simply, inasmuch as the schedule of the company keeps changing (flight cancellations, supplementary flights, type change on specific leg...), the later you publish the crew schedule, the less changes you have to make to them...

In the days of Swissair (also with AdOpt PBS system), the head of scheduling was telling me that every day that the crew skeds were published earlier meant about 11'000 (!) individual crew schedule changes more to be processed by crew control afterwards...

SecurID
22nd Aug 2005, 09:19
Resources? You mean pilots? The same badly needed pilots that the current existing pilots told the company they would need to crew the schedule. But who would listen to us? We're just pilots, what do we know?

Isn't it amazing the despite the lack of MBAs and other business qualifications amongst us, we always seem to be able to predict problems ahead for whatever airline it is that we work for!

EGGW
22nd Aug 2005, 10:08
Just seen last weeks Flight International, a large ad for pilots was in the back for EK. Now thats a first for EK in a while!

Perhaps those 25 applications/day aren't arriving with the right credentials???? Or perhaps that statement was not quite the whole truth :* :rolleyes:

EGGW

mensaboy
22nd Aug 2005, 13:06
Its a direct function of not having enough crew to operate each month. Most people are well into overtime.
My last 2 months when i had sims, I averaged 93 hard hours. The first time there was the additional 4 days required for recurrent training although now it is reduced to 3 additional days. So read this clearly......93 flight hours plus 3 or 4 additional work days which are no longer paid for or accounted for in duty.
And these hours aren't simply long haul trips, they include numerous midnight turns and around the clock flying. In addition, the changes to my sked are averaging about 3 per month.
Its getting ridiculous and I'm sick of it.

I'm hoping it changes and quickly as I've heard there is a bit of push on to hire more crew. Perhaps that is wishful thinking but then again maybe someone actually has taken notice that the present working conditions on the airbus are not sustainable.

Scudsy
22nd Aug 2005, 14:08
I bumped into a pilot who was on his 3 day Emirates interview in Dubai. He was convinced the presentation given to him said that Emirates did indeed do transition upgrades!

Are we about to hear an announcement?

Dissapointed
22nd Aug 2005, 19:30
Still no rosters at end of the day today. Looks like more sickies for me next month then. You play ball with me and I play ball with you.

Quod Boy
22nd Aug 2005, 22:33
Its being fiddled with.

Not enough people,been called twice on days off in last week.

Simple really.

QB

tic
23rd Aug 2005, 00:41
Do you Guys get extra for flying on days off? GF gets DHS 1500 per day, but you forfeit a leave day, OR DHS 750, but retain the leave . BUT in any circumstance, the day/s off, that you have lost is paid back to you within the next 2 roster periods. Personally, I don't care where I fly, just want the roster early enough to plan my life. 15th of the month would be great. Missus would like it too.

BYMONEK
23rd Aug 2005, 04:53
tic

That's just the point. Yes, when you're talking turnrounds it doesn't generally matter where you go but if your destination changes.......so will you times. Having worked for a Company where 20 changes a month were not uncommon, it was completely meaningless when rosters were released around 19th of every month.I'll take a late but STABLE roster any day....just as long as it's not toooooo late!

ironbutt57
23rd Aug 2005, 06:32
BIDS??????????? wow!!!:confused:

RINGAdingding
23rd Aug 2005, 16:11
I see BLANK days are creeping into the roster!! Being placed conveniently at the end of the month! Operational flexibility maybe? :ok:

Obfuscation
24th Aug 2005, 07:45
Midday 24th and rosters still not out, what's going on?

Mr Angry from Purley
24th Aug 2005, 08:27
I'm just about to release October rosters do you want me to come and sort it!
:\

MR8
24th Aug 2005, 09:30
Had 5 reserves in Top bid month... Actually, flights where I bid for were taken away (I suspect to give to people who want to fly these specific flights on days off to 'help' the company), then given Available Day instead, resulting in reserve.... What's the point of a bidding system if rosters are published late, and once published, change almost instantly??

And don't these people who fly on their days off realize that they only screw us pilots by doing so?? I used to work for a company where sometimes goodwill was needed for 'events' out of control of management. Here at EK we're clearly understaffed, the only way to get more staff is to have some aircraft parked at the fence near CBC, that way the people who are responsible for this will have to come up with some explanations...

MR8

Bird On
24th Aug 2005, 13:42
But with all due respect,
it does not take a brain surgeon to work out that if no- body flew on their days off, if no-body worked overtime, if no-body accepted unrestricted roster changes, if Aeroplanes were parked on the fence then:

................there would have to be many many more upgrades, upgrades would come quicker, transition upgrades would have to be re-introduced, salaries would have to be increased to realistic levels to retain and attract crew negating the need for overtime, many more of your friends would have to be hired and have jobs, rosters and lifestyles would become more stable, no-one would be flying the limits every month for the expat Dh. etc,etc,etc.......

I'm not complaining, just saying.

Work your heart out if you want.

ironbutt57
24th Aug 2005, 13:50
BIDS??????.........:confused: :confused: :eek: :ok:

ruserious
25th Aug 2005, 04:22
The roster is finally on the portal, pity mine is not legal!

shawarma
25th Aug 2005, 04:40
when the roster is this late it means that the computer couldnt cope and hence lots of manual insertions to make work.............i for one am looking forward to forward to beiing inserted once again????

critical winge
25th Aug 2005, 06:20
Yet again NOT 1 thing I bid for came up on the roster! WHATS THE POINT IN BIDDING!!

Ramboflyer 1
25th Aug 2005, 08:27
Mr8 you r correct , those greedy bastrds work there arses off at the expense of the whole pilot body , well never get good rosters at this rate.
Lifestyle is not a requirement for a slave .
If we got paid properly we wouldnt need overtime.
Anyway whats the point of being the richest dude in the cemetary or being buried in a golden casket .
We should all stick together on this but that would be industrial action wouldnt it............

ruserious
25th Aug 2005, 10:23
Was that a proposal :eek:

SecurID
25th Aug 2005, 12:42
Well, it's the closest to a call for ''down tools" as I have heard...

Not one item on my roster that I bid for either. More to the point, since the 'month of reserve duty' was implemented, why are we getting AD days at all? :mad:

turtleneck
25th Aug 2005, 13:10
and why are days off refused in the top bid month, as top bids, whereas the same days go to another bloke as ad's!!!!!
it's a complete disaster, for the individual and for the company on the long run.

The Real Pink Baron
27th Aug 2005, 12:07
Come on guy's this is getting ridiculous, instead of blocking all our inboxes with swap requests, lets send them to our Chief Pilot to sort out. That will give him something to do. Has anyone actually had anything resembling what you bid for? This system is not working!

Montari
27th Aug 2005, 14:03
is the salary that bad in EK ??around 5000 usd for F/O is low ?
what can i say for what i am getting now 1700 USD for 100 hours or more a mounth ...
Either i get that or goodbye aviation

i wish i was in a more lucky situation

turtleneck
27th Aug 2005, 14:50
you're simply on the wrong thread mate.
to all of you who think ek pilots are ungratefull, having a superb
job, hugely paid, and that bitching about rostering is luxury:
if one bids for a flight or, more importantly, days off and one does not get it - fair enough if there would be a serious reason to it. but if someone else gets this flight, or days off when he'd rather work or fly elsewhere and this specific someone placed his bidding accordingly - something is desperately wrong! either there is a scary level of incompetence, which cost the company a load of money and the employees and their families a lot of nerves, or there is a plan behind it all.

Montari
27th Aug 2005, 14:56
i can understand you tutleneck but what would you think if you were in my position ....don't even have right to take holidays from march until end of october it s really hell whatever you can tell guys about Emirates i am well sure it is better that what i am suffering here....
1700 bucks for 110 hours geeee....you have to do it !

PITA
27th Aug 2005, 16:01
Sorry that you have to deal with 110 hrs a month flying in Afirica, but we all have to get some experience under our belts before moving on to the next phase.

Before you start to slag me, I also have been where you are now, and I can say that every ex-pat at Emirates also has been there.

If you do not want (need) to work for the present co., then now is the time to move on to somewhere else.
Things are starting to look better for pilots as a group.

Companies are getting A/C and need warm bodies to fill them.
Your time will come, and I for one hope that it does, as that will bode well for us all.

Qatar has already found that it is very difficult to recruit pilots to the MidEast, and EK also has the same problem.
Jobs are opening up thru out the industry.

So enough about how bad things are in Africa, we know that.
Get on with your career.
Either there or elsewhere
Do not complain about how bad things are on this site.
I for one have been there, and don't care to listen to more wineing (whinging)!

Good luck

Not from here
28th Aug 2005, 03:57
Another month of wasted time bidding, the roster swap group gets busier every month it’s the only good thing about the rostering and EK had nothing to do with it.
Have leave, so no days off before and the one legal day off after. 98 hrs under the old credit system but none under the new system.
O well at least I can go on the 10th and be told how good it is!!!!!

quarefellah
28th Aug 2005, 20:20
Hi All,
This one's a 'sitter'...

If ANYONE knows what 'system' EK uses for crew scheduling then please let the rest of us mere mortals know.

From what I've seen/experienced/suffered in my time here the answer would have to be a barely capable computer-based bidding system whose output is so f*@ked with afterwards by people with no understanding or interest as to be barely recognisable as an AdOpt roster.
This roster, of steadily deteriorating quality, is then 'endorsed' by a spineless and sycophantic Flt Ops (mis)management team. Am torn between staying away on the 10th and not getting any satisfactory answers or going along and NOT GETTING ANY SATISFACTORY ANSWERS!!!

Rant Over And Out

Bart O'Lynn
28th Aug 2005, 22:06
Same **** different thread.

Pink Baron
29th Aug 2005, 08:17
Hey "The Real Pink Baron" EK is not like the good old easy money days at DHL and The Airwing!

Was your Hash name given to you for sailing too close to the wind or for something else?

upndown
29th Aug 2005, 23:35
Bidding System For the company not for pilots. Its plain to see really. All AB CA Rostered over 90 hrs and min days off (9) for september with no open trips.
No rostering system in the world can give any kind of choice under those conditions!!
Time to do some hiring! I hear its going to get worse before it gets better.

cool&thegang
13th Sep 2005, 03:59
It seems the bidding system at EK is far from where it should be,however,from an Aussies perspective,how many of you guys (on the 777)bid for and actually get Aussie trips?

ratpoison
13th Sep 2005, 04:55
Cool,

Dont even start thinking about it. Stay in your own country where you have rights, pay the tax and live with NORMAL people.

cool&thegang
13th Sep 2005, 05:14
RP,

Check your PM's mate.