PDA

View Full Version : Miles Gemini at Shoreham

surely not
21st Aug 2005, 23:15
Enjoying a sunny day at Shoreham I saw the Miles Gemini join the circuit and land. Camera ready I waited and waited to snap this wonder of English aviation, only for it to disappear to the North Side hangars :{ :{

So question is, does the flyer/owner contribute to this site, and how can I get some piccies of this fine machine?

It was lovely to see the aircraft in the air, it has been some while since I last saw a Gemini in the air, and it sure makes a lovely change from the modern spma cans

Stampe
22nd Aug 2005, 12:36
The Shoreham Gemini belongs to a recently retired colleague of mine Adrian Brooks a more complete total aviation person and regular good bloke you could not wish to find!!.He does not contribute to this or any other web site as far as I know.He retired recently from Britannia where he had been a training Captain before that he flew freight DC8s.He is also an accomplished licensed CAA engineer ,aircraft restorer and PFA inspector.Amongst his most notable works was the restoration of the Miles Hawk Trainer (Magister) which "Hairyplane "purchased from him and now lives at Old Warden.He normally owns at least a couple of interesting aeroplanes,best place to see his Gemini is the G-VFWE annual weekend which is when us MMMMMMMMiles afficianados try to get together. :ok:

surely not
22nd Aug 2005, 14:07
Thanks for that reply Stampe; not sure if I shall be able to attend the G-VFWE as I am currently more out of the country than in it, but if perchance I am in UK then I will stroll along and say Hi.

Was that you flying the blue Stampe at Shoreham on Sunday?

London Jets
24th Aug 2005, 21:32
Good to see you back in the country "Surely Not". will you be at shoreham airshow next weekend?

surely not
27th Aug 2005, 09:37
Hi London Jets, just a quick visit, back to foreign lands before the airshow alas.

I guess I won't see many Miles aircraft on my travels!!

flyboy2
27th Aug 2005, 17:50
On 16 January 1967, I flew Miles Gemini ZS- BRV on it's final flight from Adelaide [ East Cape Border region then ] to Port Elizabeth Airport- South Africa.
Our engineer, the late Ian Ritchie ,had previously gone by road to the then owner's farm to make it airworthy

It was donated to a local museum & reportedly never flew again.

I have no idea whether it still exists ?
Anyone have any news about it ?

Let's hope so

ansonmk1
27th Aug 2005, 18:15
Greetings; One of the Gemini's owners also had a Messenger around the same period and I often wonder what happened to that.
Further, the same organisation had five Culver V's, and I also often wonder what happened to them.
I once noticed some parts which could have come off all three types at the SAAF museum in Swarties.
Perhaps Dave Bekker, if one could trace him, may have the answers.
Then there was the Leopard Moth, many Tigers, Fox-Moth, Hornet, Rapide, a Dragonfly, Aaahh de Havilland. Tri-Cubs,Cubs
Luscombe, Stinsin's, Fairchilds, Globe Swifts, Navions, Cruisers, all types, Vagabonds, Aeronca's Champions and Chiefs,Pacers Tri-Pacers, Apaches. I digress and the thread changes, sorry chaps, you know how it is as time moves on, it was just another world.

flyboy2
28th Aug 2005, 05:52
Hi
Dave Becker's phone # +27 82 330 7258
Please bear in mind that by phoning him from outside South Africa, he gets billed quite a hefty International charge.

If you'd prefer I will call him & relay any message on this forum

PM me