PDA

View Full Version : Netjets callsigns

Fried_Chicken
21st Aug 2005, 23:12
Is there any logic behind the recently introduced alpha-numeric callsigns?

There was a NJE5DZA into London City today which doesn't flow off the tongue that easily as some of the others, especially when you have to remember its Fraction rather than Skyshare!

Fried Chicken

leonbrumsack
1st Sep 2005, 23:24
I've been meaning to ask this since I first had an aircraft calling up as "Fraction", which got me thinking 'who the hell is that now?!' Anyone know why the switch from Skyshare to Fraction was made?

inca
2nd Sep 2005, 09:52
Skyshare and ryanair confusion over europe with certain countries and accents.

No big deal, just a safety precaution

leonbrumsack
2nd Sep 2005, 18:31
Many thanks for the reply. All makes perfect sense, although I still prefer Skyshare! Then again, with time, Fraction will sound just as natural I guess! :)

Itswindyout
3rd Sep 2005, 05:23
NJE5DZA is not what I would have called an ICAO formatted call sign...

If I remember corectly, there was a single letter allocated after the numbers.....not three, or has this changed, and me remaining ignorent.

Windy

Fried_Chicken
3rd Sep 2005, 20:57
There was also something like a NJE1PDA (or similar) into Luton a few weeks back but haven't noticed anything similar recently. Most have been NJE single number followed by 2 letters or NJE three numbers follwed by a single letter which are much easier to work with.

FC

erikv
5th Sep 2005, 21:47
The swith to number/letter combinations (mostly 1 number followed by two letters) was made to reduce the chances of mixups by company traffic on the same frequency.

VLM and EZY have similar combinations.

Erik.