PDA

View Full Version : DRC Info.

c3000
21st Aug 2005, 22:05
I may find myself based in the D.R.C., Bukavu to be specific, and wondering if anyone has some inside info of the area.

I have done the requesite on-line searches but thought any of you that have first hand experience may be able to shed some light.

Thanks in advance,

M.

Solid Rust Twotter
22nd Aug 2005, 04:22
Wake up veeeeery early in the morning to get to the airport on time.....

The footrot cheese from Goma is pretty good grilled on a sandwich.

flyboy2
22nd Aug 2005, 04:35
A year ago I managed to land at Bukavu but never left the airport.
The runway surface was damaged at the touchdown point & patched with loose gravel, so thus we never went back there.
Good luck !

c3000
22nd Aug 2005, 05:54
I have been offered another contract position with a UN contractor as a flight attendant.

Canadian a/c, Dash-8 or Dash-7 dependant on contract.

M.

RICCARDOVOLANTE
22nd Aug 2005, 06:27
Great place to live if you like nature.I was in Bukavu for a good perieod of time and I can tell you it is a wonderfull place , but look out for the "Plasmodium Falciparum"the worse type of malaria and also look out for the soldiers around there.
Sincerely
Riccardo Volante

c3000
24th Aug 2005, 06:14
Any idea on how large Bukavu actually is?

Places to eat, drink, hang out, etc. etc. At least in Monrovia, Lib. the social life isn't too bad.

I am assuming Bukavu will be no where near it but still interested to find out.

Thanks again,

M.

Solid Rust Twotter
24th Aug 2005, 09:13
Couple of nice places on the lake. Food's pretty good and there are a few places the expats go for a drink or twenty. Not great but not dire.....

c3000
24th Aug 2005, 18:41
Thank goodness!

It was the twenty beers that I was most interested in.

Glad to hear there is some hope!

M.

Solid Rust Twotter
24th Aug 2005, 18:51
You haven't tried the beer yet...:yuk: :E

RICCARDOVOLANTE
25th Aug 2005, 06:27
The best ice cream in the world is in Muresa very near Bukavu , it is prepered by two Italian sisters.The beer is ... well it is ...a little too hot.
Sincerly
Riccadovolante

c3000
25th Aug 2005, 07:09
Isn't African beer all **** really???

As long as it gives you a buzz, its a good day.

M.

Renaissance
26th Aug 2005, 10:03
I went to Bukavu for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I was pleasantly surprised. The climate was nice, people seemed cool. The guys I was with seemed to enjoy the beer (Mutzig and Primus).

The ride between the airport and town is a pain in the azz (literally). Its about one hour!! Tires you before you even get airborne.

Goma has a nice restaurant called le Challet or Chateau or something like that.

Brush up on your French, Lingala and KiSwahili....

gen3
26th Aug 2005, 12:09
:( c3000, African Beer is not all ****, really. perhaps, you know nothing of African beers. Ask those who know. :E

gen 3