PDA

View Full Version : What do you make of this?

Tonic Please
20th Aug 2005, 16:13
Hi all. I recieved this email today from a potential student. What would you respond with?

hello i am bee lauren from west africa, my church is sending me down to u.k to sarch for a teacher who can teach me how to play (Jazz piano) which i notice you can teach me, i have goten an appartment here in uk which is not far from your home....and all payment will be made out true uk cheque including the house rent i will want you to get back to me with (A)the last asking price per 2 hour lesson every day.... (B)tthe total cost for 2 mount
please note that i have never been teach how to play......
looking forward to har from you
thanks......

:rolleyes: :ugh:

Tonic Please
20th Aug 2005, 16:41
Well first of all, she talks about being in africa, and then she talks about being in england. In the Email, "jazz piano" was in brackets and highlighted green. Never played piano before and a church all that way away is sending her to my town, for 2 hours a day to learn Jazz. I did respond, a little sceptically, saying that you'd need about 2 years, so its thousands considering im 20 quid an hour (good value in surrey).

Seems bollox to me :confused:

Gouabafla
20th Aug 2005, 16:47
My suspiscion is that this is a bit like a scam I've seen on Ebay.

You will be given a cheque on a UK bank which is said to cover your costs for the lesson and also the student's rent costs and you will be asked to forward the rent money on to some address or other. At that point, the cheque will bounce and neither student nor funds will appear and you will be out of pocket to the tune of the rent money.

Why am I so cynical?

Well, the mention of a cheque is a warning. In your reply, make sure that you say that all payment must be in cash and in advance.

Another warning sign is that the person says they are from West Africa. I've spent much of my working life in that part of the world and I've met hardly anyone who would introduce themselves that way. They would say they are Ivorian, Nigerian or what have you, not West African. I've worked with quite a few Church groups, and I don't think I've seen one of them pay someone to go to Europe for piano lessons.

I could be wrong and I may be maligning some innocent musician - in which case; apologies. However, if you are going to follow it up, make sure that you ask for cash in hand just in case.

ORAC
20th Aug 2005, 16:53
Jazz Piano Scam (http://www.learnjazzpiano.com/citadel/scotcit.mvc?action=forum&sub=display_thread&id=15550&bid=&room_id=1)

Tonic Please
20th Aug 2005, 16:59
Guys your fantastic. I knew it wasn't real... I'm on that website. Infact, I've advertised myself on every possible website I can find when I do searches as if I am looking for someone like me. I will expect more or them. The link is great..

..bafla, your imput is appreciated.

Dan.

JudyTTexas
20th Aug 2005, 17:49
..but whatt about my lessuns? :E

Tonic Please
20th Aug 2005, 18:33
:} Cash up front and the best instruction in the world is yours

Onan the Clumsy
20th Aug 2005, 23:57
Some idiot who wastes 10 minutes of lesson time yakking my ear off, is also robbing the student a full third of his/her weekly lesson time.

Sounds like the Maths teacher scam is already well under way.

...but when some ritard... :} :} :}

Tonic Please
21st Aug 2005, 00:01
I should reverse the concept, that'd be a quick money earner :E :8