View Full Version : Eagle Air Questions

tuckwell
20th Aug 2005, 07:33
Hello,

Could anyone send me some information on Eagle Air please. have an upcoming interview.

If anyone could answer the following it would be most appreciated.

All the destinations that they fly,
Routes that they fly,
The names of senior staff,
Some history of the company ( I have seen the info on their website),
Any future expansion information,
Any future aircraft purchases.

Any other information on the company and the 3 day selection process would be appreciated.

Cheers. T

mattyj
21st Aug 2005, 08:47
Mate, all that information is on these forums..don't be lazy, start digging..half the stuff you need is in NZ aviation news issue XXVII Dec/Jan 2005

Plus there arent many shortcuts

if it isnt a question on something in the AIP, CAA Rules (any part) or a question about sexual & religeous preferences, or voting in the elections..then they probably won't ask it

flying ginge
21st Aug 2005, 22:43
And the one about "have you done any drug running?" Ahh, no.

justwannafly
23rd Aug 2005, 03:45
Im sorry if this annoys everyone, but Ive seen different figures for the salary at Eagle. I just want to know how much an F/O gets and how long for a command.

Im in Aust. now and recently got a call for an interview and just need to know this stuff before I waste everyones time.

Thanks in advnce

Howiepolar.

cjam
23rd Aug 2005, 22:36
They have recently had a pay increase, have been told it's starting on 35k plus allowences. I would be surprised if that isn't accurate as the person I know who has started with them is fairly straight up. Time to command said to be 14 months give or take. Cheers

Cloud Cutter
24th Aug 2005, 08:09
Yip that's right. If you've got your (NZ) ATPLs you start on $37,600. Allowances approx 6-10,000 tax-free. Pay goes up 3% in Feb.

Don Won
24th Aug 2005, 09:40
Just wondering how much with out all your NZ atp's? bigger cousin air nelson interviewing this month think those guys start on about 42k + allow (atpl's) My understanding is that at aero club as a fresh co joe you have the privalage of being the lowest paid driver in the air link group.
Somone did mention that there is a pay increase of 3% but this will only push the salary up into the next higher tax bracket. So correct me if I'm wrong but in real terms with the CPI gone up 2.7% this year that is a gross increase of a massive 0.3%....... first round of Big horn on me!........and with the extra tax from 21c to 33c which is incurred over 38k that is an over all decrease in your nett pay pack?? .....no wonder eagle dosen't have a prob with drunked pilot's any more; poor guys can't afford it!!!

mattyj
24th Aug 2005, 15:23
Somone did mention that there is a pay increase of 3% but this will only push the salary up into the next higher tax bracket

Not if you vote National in september..you can keep 81% all the way up to 50K

(minus GST etc):ok:

Sqwark2000
25th Aug 2005, 10:00
Don Won,

My understanding is that at aero club as a fresh co joe you have the privalage of being the lowest paid driver in the air link group.

What do you expect when you are the freshest of fresh co joe's driving the smallest a/c the link group????

with the extra tax from 21c to 33c which is incurred over 38k that is an over all decrease in your nett pay pack??

Most, if not all the allowances are tax free. So what ever taxable income you earn over & above $38K (Callouts) is very minmal extra tax. And it can't be a decrease in your pay packet if you weren't going to earn anything over $38K in the first place. It's all money in the back except taxed at a higher rate!!

My P.A.Y.E is covered by allowances with money to spare

By Feb 2008 a new co with subjects will start on $40K + 6-10K allowances

S2K

Massey Pro
25th Aug 2005, 21:27
By Feb 2008

Ha Ha!!! At a time like the present??!! Hell I should stick around here and do these honors thingies then jump on the boat. Bring on Feb 2008!!! Ye Ha

pakeha-boy
25th Aug 2005, 23:49
YOU KNOW WHAT i RECKON......for those of you who are getting your first "real job" we should make you capts right off the bat.....lets pay you $90,000/annum.....make you fly a fortnight a month,..does this sound reasonable???????.......:bottom line boys....DO YOUR TIME LIKE THE REST OF US......aviation owes you nothing,......off course I wish you all the best...kia kaha

Cloud Cutter
26th Aug 2005, 03:16
Don Won

It took me a while to get my head round it, but you make an intersting point.

If the yearly adjustment for inflation pushes you into the next tax bracket, there is a real reduction in net pay. Next real pay rise will be negotiated when the current CEA expires in early 2008. I think the Air Nelson's starting rate without subjects on the Saab is $37,000, about 6 G more on the Q300 (I think).

chicken6
28th Aug 2005, 03:52
Er, not quite how it works. Took me a while to get my head around it but it's not hard, and makes a lot more sense than going backwards for a pay increase.

Income tax brackets refer to the percentage that each dollar is taxed at. The first 38,000 dollars that you earn are taxed at 19.5%. Those first 38,000 dollars will only ever be taxed at 19.5%.

If, however, you earn more than 38k, then you "go into the higher tax bracket". This does NOT change the rate at which the first $38k will be taxed, what it means is that whatever you earn over $38k will be taxed at a higher rate (33%). The first 38,000 dollars are still taxed at 19.5%. The next ones up to $60,000 are taxed at 33%.

If you happen to earn over $60,000, you are "in the top tax bracket", but again, this does not change the rates at which the first $38k (19.5%) or the next 22k (33%) are taxed, but everything over $60k will be taxed at 39%.

Find the tax rates and some examples here (http://www.ird.govt.nz/how-to/taxrates-codes/itaxsalaryandwage-incometaxrates.html).

This does not of course take into account student loans coz I'm after simplicity.

The bottom line is that if you get a pay rise from $37,999 to $38,001, you will get (slightly) more money, not much less.

And if you vote for National AND they keep their promises (anyone remember "Read my lips" Lockwood Smith?) the brackets will move up, so you have to figure out whether you're better off voting red or blue.

And tuckwell, if you ask enough real people about Eagle there'll be someone you know who knows someone in Eagle and can answer any questions, maybe even slip you the current interview questions. Just study your IFR Law, and have some prepared stories of examples where you had to _______________ (standard interview stuff). Listen to the instructions in the simulator AND REMEMBER THEM. And expect the group session to be quite tiring, it's a long time in the same seat in the same room. And good luck. And don't start too many sentences in a row with "and".

Cloud Cutter
29th Aug 2005, 01:45
I think you've missed the point. I'm well aware how a tiered taxation system works. The point is, if you get an adjustment for inflation and that (numerically) extra money is all taxed at the highter rate, and the government doesn't raise the tier to allow for inflation (which they don't) you have a DECREASE in net pay IN REAL TERMS.

Eg. in 2004/5 you earn 38,000 - you pay 7,866 in tax leaving net 30,134

in 2005/6 your income is adjusted for a CPI increase of 3% so you earn 39,140 - you pay 8256 in tax leaving 30,884 - ***or 29,958 as a REAL comparison to the previouse year - YOU HAVE HAD A PAY CUT!!!

Do you see why it took me a while to get my head round it:8

Thump & Go
29th Aug 2005, 03:19
Lucky there are tax-free allowances and yearly incremental pay increases on top of those listed in the CEA then.

chicken6
29th Aug 2005, 06:39
oooooooooooooooohhhhhhh so THAT's what you mean. Yes i did miss the point, good thing I left economics behind a long time ago. := Hurrah for yearly pay increases, at least on paper, although now I'm not sure I'm making money at all...

duche55
31st Aug 2005, 12:39
Can some one send me some tech questions for the Eagle Interviews I have searched on here but have come up with no leads..

Any qestions would be great..

Thanks in advance

Duche55:O

mattyj
31st Aug 2005, 21:25
here (http://www.pprune.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=162687&highlight=eagle)

..you should re read your BGT notes..learn all the speeds in Table 5 NZAIP ENR 1.5

for that matter re read all of ENR 1.5 and probably 1.6 too..

re learn all the old rules of thumb you were ever taught like Degrees to miles on the arc and VSI/ground speed to Gradient etc..

if you don't have any try

this (http://www.flightinfo.com/rulesofthumb.asp)

Isn't it too late anyway..the interviews are on as we speak..or have you had a call for the next round..in which case I'm pissed cause they didn't call me and I'll have to get a real job:*

Cloud Cutter
1st Sep 2005, 23:34
Sorry mate...... 12-14 Sep, don't worry though, plenty more where they came from. Maybe not till late Oct/Nov. Keep pluggin away :ok:

NoseGear
2nd Sep 2005, 07:20
mattyj, congrats on you know what mate, well done. PM me would you?

Cheers

Nosey

Capt. On Heat
4th Oct 2005, 06:34
Know I'm too late for you Tucker but I understand Eagle are gonna do another round next month (November) having new requirements too to better reflect the calibre of people needed to be able to Command a 1900D in as little as a year.

They are:

Day 1

Introduction etc talk yourself up in front of everyone
Group Session
Peer Group review on Group session
Spot quiz's on similarities between the B1900D and A380's
Hold hands in a Group

Day 2

8 sector 6 and a half hour handling session in a replica Atlantis space shuttle simulator including docking with space station.

Day 3

Individual interviews Ops Manager, Fleet manager, Line Manager, CEO, Training Manager, all existing Capt's and F/O's, the Catering lady and a guy who lives beside the airport at NZHN who thinks the 1900D is "Curvy."

Day 4

Panel interview

Day 5
Psych testing with experts and Dr Phil via Video link (may run into the evening due to time zone difference)

Day 6

Second Atlantis sim ride to confirm you didn't fluke the first one.

Day 7 ......................you get the picture...............

Day 25

Morning-B747 questionaire followed by
Lunch served on board a 1900D restaurant mock up.

If successful may be offered a voluntary ground course which you have to pay for!

iceblock
4th Oct 2005, 07:09
Ah yes good call....

Last time I looked they WERE operating the 1900. Perhaps they have upgraded type for the sub orbital re entries

Or perhaps they should get over themselves and tailor a interview process that reflects the real world. In my view Rex in Aussie have it down pat for the level of airline:

Quick not too difficult tech quiz
30 - 40min interview (chat) about where you are at
Weird Frasca (possibly changed to Saab) sim which is like any other sim - just get through it in one piece!!

One Day

Thump & Go
4th Oct 2005, 09:17
Best you wait for Rex then Iceman, or you could spend 18k on a rating to fly with Eastern (EasternS to you ozzies!) and have no show of getting into your mother airline.....hmmm, works for me.

Cloud Cutter
4th Oct 2005, 20:15
I don't know why some people have a problem with the Eagle interviews. They're nowhere near as bad as some people make out and can actually be quite fun. The panel interveiw is similar to an HR interview for any job requiring a specific set of skills and personal qualities. The sim ride sounds exactly like the Rex one - simple 20 min proceedure (departure and NDB approach).

The group interview is really the only difference from similar airline interviews - and it's no big deal, it's a great way to meet some new people, including the airline representatives.

You do NOT have to pay for the ground course - it is volentary in that you do not get paid to take it (once again, like most other regionals). If you did a GC with Vincent, Air National or Airwork you would be forking out between $500-1000.

It's quite simple guys, if you don't like it, you are quite free not to apply. If I was going to spend $30G+ training an employee, I would have no problem making them jump through a few hoops first.

haughtney1
4th Oct 2005, 20:59
Come on Cloud...I think your being a little precious here, lets be honest, Eagle is a small fish operating in an even smaller pond.
The realities of operating a smallish turbo-prop on RPT's in New Zealand allow Eagle to make candidates jump through the hoops as you put it.
Personally I think its a shame...but thats NZ for you:rolleyes:
As for paying for the ground course..pure penny pinching..for goodness sake, put people on the ground course who are gonna work for you:O

iceblock
5th Oct 2005, 02:02
Lucky there are tax-free allowances and yearly incremental pay increases on top of those listed in the CEA then.

Oh goody, can I have a job then.

Go & Thump

You must be Eagle Management: Completey deluded with visions of Grandeur

flyby_kiwi
5th Oct 2005, 07:45
Have to agree with CC,

Group interview is a good way to meet each other and despite being under the watchfull eye much humour can be had by all. As has been said its no different to many other industry.
Panel Interview, 45mins with a few tech questions - nothing unique here.
Sim, 15-20mins. Sid out of HN then the NDB approach.

There are certainly no 'hoops' to jump through, particuarly compared to interviews in other industries.

The realities of operating a smallish turbo-prop on RPT's in New Zealand allow Eagle to make candidates jump through the hoops as you put it

I cant really see why a 19 seat a/c should be unable to have the same interview process to that of a 190seat. In anycase Eag draw mostly from GA where they will be filtering many more 'unknowns' than that of the majors.

Cloud Cutter
5th Oct 2005, 09:28
As for paying for the ground course..pure penny pinching..for goodness sake, put people on the ground course who are gonna work for you

Absolutely - As I said, Eagle don't make you pay for a ground course, and unless there are extremely unusual circumstances, all ground coursed pilots are offered jobs. The only airlines who don't adopt that policy are the three I mentioned, where in fact the ground course is like a week long group interview, after which they decide whether or not they like you.

Don't worry folks, I can assure you that Air Nelson have looked closely at the Ealge group interview. The time will come when there is one interview to enter the Air NZ group.

Split Flap
5th Oct 2005, 22:08
Capt on heat, Bravo!

I havent laughed that hard at these pages for a while! You mentioned the docking procedure but neglected to mention the moon landing or shuttle re-entry procedure (fairly similar to flying the 1900D airliner i'm told), I've heard it is an integral part of the selection process.
One other thing if your a decent bloke forget it.... you wont get in, they ony want redgie plane spotters.

Would love to buy you a beer.

Capt. On Heat
6th Oct 2005, 00:54
One thing though Cloud Cutter and to the other Eagle employees. I do consider that you have to pay for Eagle ground course's and for the privelage of having the damn interview as well.

Case in point: For my three day extravaganza a wee while ago now, there were a few interviewees from the South Island. They had to pay for their return airfares to Auckland, 4 nights in a hotel, living/eating and taxis to Ardmore for the bloody sim. Then once selected they had to pay for flights to Hamilton and then 6 days of accomadation and living expenses for the ground course! All to fly an aeroplane with no hostie and you can't even put an autopilot in when you've had enough of f***en straight and level!

Eagle are part of the Air New Zealnd group aren't they? Surely if an AIRLINE believes you are suitable to interview you for a job they could at least fly you to where you need to be! It doesn't cost them anything. At least Air Nelson pay for your hotel for the ground course, Mt Cook you're already an employee and both fly you to the interview. Even the financially crippled Origin do that!

Question: If the Eagle interview process is so grand and suitable why do so many good bastards and good pilots miss out yet get picked up by other airlines. Another point I've heard (clearly not my own) is that a large % of Eagle chaps/chapess's are prats. Several (not saying we're all perfect) having had histories of dubious of decision making/incidents. I'm surprised DT of Sky tower fame got a no!

And yes CC, I got a yes-not saying I'm a prat though!

Gonna hold you to that beer Split Flap! :}

Cloud Cutter
6th Oct 2005, 03:11
Yeah, as I've said before, I've seen lots of good people not get through for various reasons (and go on to bigger and better things), and perhaps some get in that shouldn't have? But that's not for me to say.

I agree, it would be nice if Eagle were a bit more helpfull to potential employees in terms of travel and accomodation.

What p!sses me off though, is people blowing things way out of proportion (in either direction). Nobody (worth talking to) thinks the 1900 is a complex aircraft - it is a light twin, and if anything it's easier to operate than the old piston twins most of us cut our teath on. Why do people keep bringing this up, and hijacking threads started by pilots who are genuinely interested in finding out about the company?

haughtney1
6th Oct 2005, 21:21
Cloud, I actually agree with you on this, proportion is everything...my trouble I have with Eagle and the whole recruitment thing with them is their "superiority complex" that also seems to prevail at Air Nelson.
A few years ago I would have given my left nut to get an opportunity with Eagle..before I knew any better I might add. When the email..and the phonecall inviting me to an interview occured, I politely turned them down. What followed really surprised me....a conversation along these lines ensued......

"Are you sure Mr H that you dont wish to return from the UK to interview for a position with Eagle"

"Yes, I am rather happy here as it happens, plus Im flying a big fast Boeing"

"Dont you think Eagle will offer a far better career path for a Kiwi, as well as a better quality of life?"

"that mayby in part true, but Im sure Cathay, Air NZ, or Emirates will be options in the future"

"ahh Mr H, I can ASSURE you that your experience flying overseas will count against you so far as Air NZ is concerned...are you sure you wont reconsider?"

At which point I gave a curt response and hung up on the arrogant pompus C:mad: t

So cloud, I agree with you....but you've got that to deal with as well......:hmm:

Eagle I'm sure is a good place for a first job..the trouble is when people start thinking that its something its not.

H:ok:

nike
7th Oct 2005, 01:15
Mr H,

sounds like the person on the phone was a complete goose. Fair cop that you don't like Eagle or Air Nelson.

But what I don't understand, and this question isn't directed solely at Mr H, is how it gets from an obviously pathetic management to pilots who are tw@ts?

The Eagle guys on this forum can come across a bit precious, but surely thats mostly due to a bit of youthful exubrance and over excitement from making that step above GA.

Whenever I read these threads, it's got to the stage where these poor buggars are continuously on the defensive over issues and decisions they have no control over. Most I would imagine, would agree with the various comments made against Eagle's managerial ideas, but probably get sulky at being lumped in with them and start running off at the mouth.

When they got their new planes, it was understandable they were jubilant and made some excited utterance's, but that was a few years ago now. Are guy's still w@nking on about it these days?

Eagle is what it is. No point flogging a dead horse.

Cloud Cutter, I have to say good on you fella.

splatgothebugs
7th Oct 2005, 02:03
Nike,

Nicely put!

Most of us are happy to have a flying job and have the bills paid each week.

I have said it many times, all companies have twats the industry is full of them so it pointing the finger at one company dosen't really sit well.

CC put it well in saying that those in EAG who rant and rav about what a complex machine the beech is to fly are prob still green and should be excused as they are excited, or a **** and ignored.

This will be my last post on these forums :{ :p as it has just occured to me how pointless it has become trying to defend a company which on a whole is very good. We all know the bad points even if you don't work in the company.so why the same anti EAG punters keep hijacking posts about info is beyond me.

My final thought:p Enjoy what you do! if you can't or don't or have to spend your day bitching about another company then P#ss off and get another career coz you are proberbly dragging everyones outlook on life down with you.

HAPPY FLYING ALL :ok:

JohnnyK
8th Oct 2005, 09:47
Im a kiwi looking at doing atpl's in Aus as it will be more convenient for me-do the nz companies have a problem with aussie ATP's?

MOR
8th Oct 2005, 14:32
haughtney1

As I'm sure you know... Eagle and Air Nelson are the big fish in an exceedingly small pond. Their arrogance, when it comes to hiring, is beyond belief. I'll bet the guy you spoke to wanted you to step out of your Boeing into the right seat of a 1900, didn't he?

Aviation in a isolated place like NZ is like that. Don't ever confuse it for the real world!

As for overseas experience counting against you... I had that conversation with Air Nelson. "Oh no, you must have 50 hours recent NZ IFR experience to be considered..." - yeah like flying in and out of Heathrow every day is so simple compared to flying in and out of Nelson.

My advice to all pilots who can: leave these shores and get some overseas experience. Enjoy real airlines and decent equipment. Learn how to fly in airspace that is actually busy. You will never regret it. Well, you might when you try to get a job back here... :rolleyes:

troppo
8th Oct 2005, 22:39
Didn't Eagle win a NZ Institute of Management award, for their human resource management, a couple of years back?

:}

nike
9th Oct 2005, 13:27
Serious?

Sack the judges.

haughtney1
9th Oct 2005, 23:34
They won an award?:rolleyes:

:ok:

iceblock
10th Oct 2005, 21:12
Johnnyk,

In pretty sure you will not be disadvantaged with Link by doing Aussie ATP and then converting. Of course you will have to sit the 7 aussie subjects, then battle through filling out the form (which I suspect is Casa's way of weeding out the non ATPL type people, as the exam won't achieve this..) and submit it, in return you will get the Licence.

Get a form off NZCAA website fill it in pay $100 or there abouts and recieve a NZ ATP.

Certainly AirNZ won't blink an eye, so long as you meet requirements and tick all their boxes. Surely the Link carriers wouldn't have a different policy???