PDA

View Full Version : American Social Culture

philip2004uk
19th Aug 2005, 19:32
O.k i know we are all different and should be looked at as an individual person.

And i have a love for newyorkers like manhatten and places

But i was just wandering what the general culture of the people are like as i've just seen some strange t.v documentarys. i've only been to florida so that wouldn't really give me a good idea of what they are like elsewhere in the social aspect.

niknak
19th Aug 2005, 19:46
I wouldn't particularly know about Manhatten or New York, but I would suggest that no matter where you are in the world, there's nothing wrong with being polite and respectful of local culture, but more importantly, don't try and be somethone you aren't or never could/will be.

seacue
19th Aug 2005, 19:49
Even Florida has a multitude of different cultures.

The northern part of the state is like the deep south.

Southwest Florida is more like the upper midwest - Ohio, for example.

Parts of southeast Florida are New Tork displaced, others are Cuba, others are Haiti, etc....

And there are yet other parts.

philip2004uk
19th Aug 2005, 19:51
I mean in general like in newyork you can just go up to someone and start chatting. Is it the same everywhere.

Jerricho
19th Aug 2005, 19:54
But i was just wandering what the general culture of the people are like as i've just seen some strange t.v documentarys.

Funny, I could say the very same thing about the area around Manchester.

philip2004uk
19th Aug 2005, 20:16
Erm jerricho i know what manchester is like and yes it can be strange but i was asking about what the culture in america is like as i've seen some docs o.k. now i still like to know what its like if i wanted to live there. i know the new yorkers are mostly nice i was just wandering what its like everywhere else its just a question not an argument or saying the u.k is better i wasnt saying that i just want to know what it's like flipping eck.

Solid Rust Twotter
19th Aug 2005, 20:22
Hmmmmm....

I see the punctuation fairy has been slacking again.:suspect:

19th Aug 2005, 20:28
If you go to a lot of the bars in Georgia, (especially around Atlanta) you won't have to go up to someone and start chatting. Everywhere I've been in that area, I've always found that the locals will start talking to you first.

philip2004uk
19th Aug 2005, 20:36
Cool i like atlanta from th books i've read nice people jazz blues and coca cola

[QUOTE]Hmmmmm....

I see the punctuation fairy has been slacking again.

Yeah i tend to do that on computers.
some people even say they ran out of breath reading my posts. i didnt beleive that could happen.:O

Gerhardt
19th Aug 2005, 20:57
I suspect that it's a lot here as it is in most of the world. We have a tremendous variety of people. Some extremely cheerful and would go out of their way to make your day better. Others picking for a fight with anyone and everyone. (a few pruners like that I've noticed) A LOT of idiots. But most are just average folks trying to make their way from day to day.

I guarantee that if you ever crossed my path I'd offer a firm handshake and a ride in a PA28.

Cheers. :O

philip2004uk
19th Aug 2005, 21:00
Cool i went for a ride in a cherokee and the instructor let me fly right round gran canaria by myself just avoiding las palmas airport and i only had 4 hours experience:O

con-pilot
19th Aug 2005, 21:04
As football season (American style that is) is now starting it would be a really good idea for you to find out what team the area supports that you will be visiting. Make sure that you get the team right. As one could get into a little trouble cheering for the Washington ‘Redskins’ in Dallas Texas. However, if you have a chance to attend a major University NCAA football game please do so, there is nothing in Europe that can compare to a Class 1A NCAA football game. You will have a great time, especially if the game happens to be the annual Texas, Oklahoma football game.

Now, remember that we colonist still love to talk to folks from the home country. However, be prepared to be asked questions such as “My second cousin’s wife’s sister’s best friend knew a girl that dated this guy from London, do you know him?” Or “I think my wife’s great-great-great-grandmother was from some place called mount or mouth or something like that, their name was Smith, do you know the family?” Just be yourself and don’t be afraid to say ‘hello’

If you get anywhere Oklahoma City, Oklahoma (a small northern suburb of Texas) send me a PM or a e-mail and I'll be happy to show you the town.

:ok:

BigEndBob
20th Aug 2005, 01:24
Why is it in all US bars they seem to have American football on all the tv's yet no one seems to be watching it.

candoo
20th Aug 2005, 11:03
American humor

http://joecartoon.atomfilms.com/pages/nannahooter/

con-pilot
20th Aug 2005, 21:53
Really candoo?

Not too funny to me, looks more like Monty Phyton gone bad.

But then I'm a rather old fart.:)

BOFH
20th Aug 2005, 23:05
some people even say they ran out of breath reading my posts.

I think they meant that they wish they had. Lazy spelling and punctuation in posts can be construed as being inconsiderate because everyone reading your post has to try to parse it. You'll attract more replies if you edit your post more assiduously.

Notwithstanding that, you'll find some Americans overbearing, arrogant, annoying, facile, and aggressive - precisely as you will find the inhabitants of many other countries. The secret is to find the vast majority who do not fall into those categories. By and large, it's not hard.

Contrary to what many people think, the US has a wealth of historical and cultural nuances which would take a lifetime to explore, let alone its magnificent scenery. Do not base your assumptions on anything that you see on television - try a library, or Google what you want.

On the downside, Philip, if you work there, you'll be earning greenbacks - so save your pounds here while you can!

BOFH