PDA

View Full Version : What to expect as a newhire BA 777 FO

Riker
19th Aug 2005, 12:04
Unfortunately, I have not yet been hired by BA as a 777 driver. However, it seems that many people on these boards have recently been given the nod. Clearly there are enough reasons to be very proud and excited about this opportunity - the 777 is a wonderful aircraft and the route structure is pretty diverse.

Everyone knows that life as as newhire is never that glamorous. Being on reserve can be a very difficult way to live for a few years. I know that other threads have dealt superficially with this subject, but can any recent BA 777 newhires (or current 777 FOs) shed some light on what life is like during those first couple of years?

1. What are your schedules like? How many flights do you do per month on average?

2. How bad is reserve status? Not a trick question.

3. What destinations do you typically fly to? Mainly East Coast USA? Do you ever get any route diversity during the first couple years?

4. At the end of your seat lock period, do most 777 FOs bid another fleet (which one) or do they sit on the 777 if they can't yet bid the LHS?

5. What do you like/dislike about the 777?

Thanks for your insight. Sorry if this thread sounds redundant when compared to other threads. I thought it would be useful given that many people on these boards will be starting 777 courses soon.

Cheers

Human Factor
19th Aug 2005, 12:37
1. Expect 5 3-day trips per month, often over weekends.

2. Expect about 1 reserve period every 12 months, maybe 2 initially.

3. Mainly east coast and mid east. As a Blind Line Holder, this will be your bread and butter but you will get to go elsewhere. Long-range trips will be few and far between.

4. Most sprint for the 747-400, although if you prefer shorter trips stay on the 777. You will not get a command for 12 years or so (if you're prepared to go shorthaul) so you will have plenty of time to decide what you want.

5. Likes:

Great aeroplane.
Reliable.
Datalink on the Atlantic.
Gatwick trips.
Same deck as cabin crew so pretty sociable.

Dislikes:

5 Atlantics a month is shattering.
Bunk is a cobbled together lash up at the back of the First cabin. Appalling.
Not enough long-range trips IMHO.
Not being able to achieve CAP (not something you'll have to worry about), despite doing 5 Atlantics.

Autobrake Low
19th Aug 2005, 16:52
what are the most popular trips for the 777 (snapped up by crew higher up seniority list)? Presume it is mostly the LGW stuff.

The Greaser
19th Aug 2005, 17:52
The longer trips (high credit) to China seem to be most popular (Shanghai and Peking), there are also 4/5 day trips to Barbados and Antigua from LGW.

federico
20th Aug 2005, 13:22
Hello to everybody!
I am starting in October on the 777 with ba.
Thank you for all the info about our life as new recruits.
Few more questions if u don't mind:
What is cap??
why are the lgw trips better ?
How many days off/holyday do you have per month/year?

Thanks=========

TopBunk
20th Aug 2005, 14:32
federico

I'll try to answer some of your queries.

1. What is CAP?

CAP is an amount of work that the company want you to complete in a month in order that you get your basic salary. You achieve CAP by doing a series of trips/flights that each have a value associated with them, known as trip credit. Add your trip credits together and you have your monthly credit. Compare this to the CAP, if you have more trip credit than the monthly CAP, then the excess goes into a 'bank' that will allow you have a slightly easier month later.

When you join the fleet, you will be on a 'Blind' line and CAP is not an issue - so don't worry, by the time you've been in long enough you'll know all about CAP and credit!

2. Why are Gatwick trips good?

Matter of personal choice really, some people live closer to LGW and the commute is easier. Some fly in from destinations only served by LGW. Some prefer the choice of trips -- the Carribean routes are ex-LGW for example.

3. Holidays and work?

In each 6-month period (one runs Apr-Sep and the other Oct-Mar, I think) you get 15 days leave and 7 days Duty Free week - effectively more leave. Associated with the 15 days leave are 6 Wrap Days - don't worry too much. The leave arrangements are pretty good.

On a month of full time working I would anticipate working 17-18 days in a 30-31 day month.

HTH