PDA

View Full Version : qualifications for refuelers

airgeezer
9th Feb 2001, 05:57
what qualifications are required to be an aircraft refueler in the uk? I am qualified to refuel military aircraft at military bases but have no idea about the civvy equivalent qualifications.

spannerhead
9th Feb 2001, 12:48
You will have to have an HGV (heavy goods vehicle) licence if you deliver fuel from a bowser. If from underground supply you will only have to be lucky enough to to get a job. Apparently it's a cushy number in the uk with good pay and conditions (not bad for a pump attendant).

Penn Doff
9th Feb 2001, 14:09
Spannerhead don't let the guys at LHR hear your comments! Apparently in the good old days it was a good job, on an excellent salary, this has been ruined by ex RAF MT drivers who are willing to do all the hours god sends for a lot less money. Most are a good bunch (even some totty, although the smell of Jet A1 not as nice as Chanel No 19), let down as always by poor management.

------------------
"please report further"

time-ex
10th Feb 2001, 03:38
A few years ago all they had to do at LHR was turn up with a dispenser and do what the
BA refueller told them to. These guys were paid more than the BA refueller signing for the job. Now they have to do it all. BA have introduced nice tolerences to accomodate the imperfect refuel. In the old days it would be an arm wrestling contest with the E.O. that a stick check was called for because they were (on paper) a bucketful short. The bean counters won this one big time!
I would imagine that a HGV is only required if you have to drive a proper bowser. The usual dispenser is the sort of base vehicle that doesn't need a HGV. It is possible that HGV is required to prove that you have a modicum of common sense and an understanding of the word responsibility. To be fair, most of the guys and gals I meet are good guys and gals until there is a problem or it's their last job of the day.

aeroguru
10th Feb 2001, 16:30
At Manchester the main qualification seems to be that you must be a right miserable fella.So most of them are over qualified.

Taff Missed
10th Feb 2001, 23:56
Airgeezer

LGV Class 1 or 2 (preferably 2) ADR/Hazmat with tanks and a seriously good sense of humour to cope with all the miserable b**tards that think you're earning a fortune.

-----------

If it ain't broke...........