PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Lagos, Nigeria?

expedition
19th Aug 2005, 00:00
Hello Fellow Aviators,

I have been offered a tentative contract in Lagos, Nigeria. I have read some other messages about life in Lagos, and they do not paint a pretty picture, although some of the messages I noted are dated from some time ago.

Specifically I want to know the following:

1) How dangerous is life in Lagos?

2) How is life within a oil company compound environment?

3) What kind of renumeration does one expect as a fixed wing Captain within Nigeria?

Please fill me in with any insights you may have to Nigeria and specifically Lagos...

thanks

Rani
19th Aug 2005, 06:26
Lagos is a very, very crowded place. If you have crowd phobia, DON'T go. It is ever struggling to sustain its 12 million inhabitants with little utilities and infrastructure, so it can be smelly and quite disgusting in some areas.

The western concept of a "city" is inapplicable, because it will feel like shear chaos at times. It is, however, alive and happening. Adventure and coloful, strange experiences are plentiful, and most locals are friendly towards foreigners. If you prefer to remain in the compound most of time, the choice is always there, but then are you experiencing Africa?

Common sense practitioners should have no problem in LOS, besides the risk of being mugged or attacked by the desperate. So avoid roaming about by youself initially (hire a Nigerian), until you get familiarized with the terrain. I would also suggest you get out of Lagos as much as you can, relaxing places are outside, in places like Plateau, Cross River, Kano, Oshogbo, etc. where there's an abundance of festivals and beautiful sceneries.

Dotun
19th Aug 2005, 10:15
Well said Rani.

Regards
DMan

Captain Pheremone
19th Aug 2005, 11:44
Lagos

Its an African cultured town, very busy, generally run down with a poor infrastrucutre - and if you can handle that then go - no problem!!

Me myself, I work in Nigeria but do not partake of the ample nightlife which is available and its not only cos I am married....it's just my choice...know what I mean. So I do the compound thing and last out a month and then go home to live.

Working for an oil company don't expect too much time off to visit the nice places mentioned above. When youre in you work, when youre out you play. Fixed wing Captain??????? what size aircraft. Cessna 150 pilots aren't paid that well hehehehehehe!!!!!

Cessna 208, Kingair upwards if you are not month on/month off for about $5000 every month then you are getting done. But some guys need an entry level job....no prob.
Cheers.

PS as for danger "I spit in it's face, PUH!!!!!!!" thats not a problem generally....but it is Efrikaaaa.

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
19th Aug 2005, 14:19
expedition,

I've been in Nigeria for 14 years as an expat (there are many who've been here a lot longer), and I think you either love it or hate it, there's no middle ground.

Lagos is a bustling city, and everything the other people have posted is true. However, although it sounds like an old cliche, it really is what you want to make it. The night life (when you get the chance) is great fun if you are open minded and patient. The work is hard depending on who your employer is, but the rosters are mostly fair.

Common sense is essential for survival here, and the ability to "feel" when something is not quite right and get out of a situation is also a must.

Most companies do either equal time or 7/5 bachelor status work cycles and the starting pay should be around $ 5,000 per month.

Good luck !!

NEO

chuks
21st Aug 2005, 14:55
There are all sorts of risks to a place like Lagos, but then life itself usually doesn't come to a happy end; ask any undertaker!

It is pretty hard to spit in the face of danger when there is no spit ready to hand, due to fright. And if you are the type who never is frightened, then perhaps it is best to stay away.

A lot of things usually taken for granted can be weirdly risky in Nigeria. Romance, asking a policeman for help, talking about financial details on the phone... and you can forget about driving, generally!

Give it a try but be careful. Don't be too quick to judge the locals, either way. And if the wages aren't being paid in take that as your cue to leave.

Good luck!