PDA

View Full Version : Flight Instructor currency

TOPBUG
18th Aug 2005, 23:26
Can anyone give me a definite answer to this? I am an FI with an SEP rating. Do I still have to take an hour's flight with another FI in order to re-validate my SEP rating? Or is it true, as I have heard rumoured, that any LPC on any aircraft within the preceding 12 months will suffice in lieu of this flight? I hold two licences - an Irish JAR ATPL and a UK national ATPL. Would an LPC on my JAR licence be suitable for this purpose for the FI rating on my UK national licence?

Sorry for so may questions - confused! Anyone any clues? :confused:

IRRenewal
19th Aug 2005, 06:26
The rules say 'an instructional detail of at least one hour'. It doesn't specify type or class, and certainly doesn't dictate this flight to be in a SEP. So yes you can use your LPC on whetever you fly for a living to revalidate your SEP class rating.

HTH

Gerard

TOPBUG
19th Aug 2005, 12:33
Thanks Gerad. You think that this hour's instruction is goog on any licence?

Human Factor
19th Aug 2005, 13:31
Speaking of which, did my LPC the other day on the big jet. Can my IMC be signed off automatically as a result?

Whopity
19th Aug 2005, 16:20
"The rules say 'an instructional detail of at least one hour'. It doesn't specify type or class"

Yes it does! Read JAR-FCL 1.245 Ths requirement only applies to the revalidation of a SEP or a TMG Class rating by experience and it states: 12 hours flight time in the relevant Class including (C) a training flight etc

but it then goes on to say that at this flight may be replaced by any other proficiency check or skill test! The latter is not Class or Type specific and can include an IMC test.

Topbug

The IMC renewal includes limited panel and recovery from unusual attitudes did you do that on your LPC?

mad_jock
20th Aug 2005, 01:24
Your imc valid as long as you multi pilot IR is valid ( And a bit longer but i can't be arsed finding)

NO signatures required no money out to anyone. ITS valid what ever these PPL exam types say. IT's in LASORS

MJ

IRRenewal
20th Aug 2005, 05:53
Yes Whopity you're right, but for the intend and purpose of the original question your answer and mine mean exactly the same.

Ref IMC validity: if you have a UK national licence (CPL or ATPL) you have automatic IMC privileges as long as your licence remains valid.

If you have a JAR licence the situation is somewhat more complex. A Multi Pilot LPC in itself does not give you IMC privileges but can be used to obtain IMC privileges.

To quote LASORS:

JAR-FCL PROFESSIONAL AEROPLANE LICENCE HOLDERS

JAR-FCL CPL(A) and ATPL(A) licences do not have in-built IMC privileges. The holder of a JAR-FCL professional aeroplane licence without a valid IR(A) who wishes to obtain an IMC Rating must complete the following:

i) 5 hours of applied dual instrument instruction in accordance with the IMC Rating syllabus and;
ii) pass an initial IMC Rating Flight Test.

The holder of a UK issued JAR-FCL professional aeroplane licence with a valid single-pilot IR(A) do not require a separate IMC Rating endorsement as the privileges are included within the IR(A) privileges. If, however, you wish to obtain an IMC Rating you will need to apply to PLD for endorsement.

The normal IMC rating issue fee will apply unless application is made in conjunction with an Instrument Rating (IR). In this case, the IMC Rating will be valid for a period of 25 months from the date of the IR(A) skill test and will not need to be revalidated if the IR(A) remains valid. If the IR(A) lapses an IMC revalidation flight test is required.

The holder of a JAR-FCL professional aeroplane licence with a valid multi-pilot IR(A) is not automatically entitled to fly using the privileges of an IMC Rating in single-pilot aeroplanes. They will be required to obtain a separate IMC Rating endorsement on the basis of their most recent multi pilot IR proficiency check or skill test. In this case, the IMC Rating will be valid for a period of 25 months from the date of the IR(A) skill test and will not need to be revalidated if the IR remains valid. If the IR(A) lapses an IMC revalidation flight test is required.