PDA

View Full Version : Jhb Approach short staffed again

EltorroLoco
18th Aug 2005, 14:59
Hi all FAJS TMA users

Unfortunately due to resignations, suspensions, sick-outs and bad staff planning by the powers that be, FAJS Radar is again short-staffed.

This means that on occasion there are only 3 controllers on duty for a shift instead of the min 5 or ideally 6.

We are not asking for sympathy, since this is our chosen profession, just a little extra vigilance on the pilots part. We won't take out our problems on the airlines in the form of unnecessary delays etc., but we need you guys to play a part in keeping the skies safe.

The guys are doing their utmost to keep everyone safe and on time, by keeping both sectors open etc., but the incident rate is already well above the norm, due to fatigue and high traffic volumes.

So please, listen out on 124.5 and 123.7, and pay close attention to your levels, we may not see level busts as quick as one would like. Easy on the silly requests, i.e. direct and 03L, they are superfluous and can be filed in the "no sh*t" box. If we can - we will anyway, if we can't we won't.

Get on your keyboards and fax machines, both with complaints and compliments - if the powers that be don't feel pressurised, the situation won't get the attention it deserves.

We all love our work and enjoy pumping them in & out of Jhb, but if the pressure continues, I hope I'm wrong, but something could easily break.

Ta 4 listening, & hopefully typing

Bull:ok:

Solid Rust Twotter
18th Aug 2005, 17:28
Well done, that man!:ok:

Hang in there, boet. You may not hear it too often but most of the drivers appreciate your efforts.

19th Aug 2005, 07:07
Heard a rumour that one of the tower chaps got given the boot.
Apparently he had somebody cross the runway and another was cleared for take-off. Result was a rejected take-off and a delay of 45 min to let the brakes cool. He didn't file a report and ATNS only found out after they checked on the reason for the outbound flight's delay.

I also thought that the new radar system was designed to be used by one person at a time and not two per sector as in the past, thus saving on staff numbers.........can anybody confirm this?

Ernie Sparks
20th Aug 2005, 08:14
It is true. One of the tower guys did lose his job for that reason. It came about when a report from ICAO queriing the incident arrived and mangement new nothing about it. If he had reported it, I think he would still be working. :(

When it comes to the new system, the same number of people per shift are still needed. What happens now is that 124.5 and 123.7 are open as well as a planner position, that does most of the liason. There are supposed to be two or three others on shift to give work and give breaks. This tends to make the guy on 124.5 a little busy at times. :sad:

I hope this helps.

mach decimal 83
20th Aug 2005, 08:29
I also fly in and out of Johannesburg on a daily basis. Even short staffed, I think all the controllers, from Area Control to the Ground Controllers are doing one hell of a job and right, not taking the nonsense thats happening out on anyone!!!!! Apart from just controlling traffic in and out of FAJS, there is also the massive amount of IFR traffic in and out of Lanseria.

Well done guys and hope that the situation will improve rapidly very soon!

makeapullup
20th Aug 2005, 08:54
i agree with etl. big problems with staff. new equipment great but here's an idea. lets make new stars/sids and make all the traffic point at each other. we can have arrivals from north,east and south and make them all meet at the same downwind point. while we're at it lets make all the right turn sid's conflict with the arrivals. (maybe even turn right to FAGG)it will be ok because the new equipment (with only 1 guy watching those conflict points) will make it easy. oh wait this is already happening. "watch those levels") goodness me how about STOP THOSE LEVEL BUSTS!! ("sorry about that" or "the FMS must be wrong" - more specific for bad routing) And for goodness sakes LISTEN OUT. Last week 1 KFC acft - 4 transmitions - 4 repeats "was that for ...." or just silence. what gives! Few now feel much better. Be safe!

last part should read " phew"

Exhaust Manifold
20th Aug 2005, 09:34
Seems all management in this country needs a kick up the a:mad: s. Don't ATC's have duty periods stated in the law:confused: Wonder if they're being forced to exceed that aswell.

makeapullup
20th Aug 2005, 12:50
we do have maximum working hours and are very aware of them. thats why there is only 1 sector sometimes.

captain cumulonimbus
21st Aug 2005, 22:28
You guys on approach do a great job,keep it up! Even though you may be short staffed,you have a great,tight operation here in joburg,best in africa and certainly as good as europe.I just hope management gets you chaps sorted out with more staff before summer-its chaos during thundershower activity and you have my empathy being understaffed during that wx.

Keep it up,its a pleasure being controlled by you guys!