PDA

View Full Version : WinFixer 2005

Chitty's Leader
18th Aug 2005, 14:35
Hullo one & all.

I have a problem with a file named "WinFixer 2005."
Now, I have no idea where this came from, because I did not voluntarily download it onto my computer, but it is now becoming a huge pain in le derrier!

Upon each restart, the desktop icon regenerates itself and I get a Splash screen informing me it is downloading.
It does not appear under "Add/Remove Programmes," nor have I found it in "My Computer/C:/Programme Files."

The only way I have found to temporarily disable it, is to 'kill' it under Windows Task Manager, where it appears as a process called "UWFXSLP_001." But, like I have said, it regenerates itself upon each restart.

I have run AdAware, Microsoft Antispyware (formerly Giant), Spybot Search & Avast and none has picked it up.
I have also run these in safe mode, again with no luck.

What actually is WinFixer??? Where did it come from???

I am away for the weekend now, so will leave this topic to run and see if I get any responses!

Thank you for any help in getting rid of this blasted thing! It will be appreciated.

Many thanks,
CL.

OldCessna
18th Aug 2005, 14:51
It a hijacker.

Search Google for "Removal Winfixer 2005" etc.

Lots of problems with it and plenty of ways to get rid of it which you should do.

Symantec has plenty of comments about it also.

You might want to think about where you got it in the first place?

Good luck!

flynverted
18th Aug 2005, 15:15
Try this http://www.download.com/HijackThis/3000-8022_4-10227353.html
Just be careful of what you delete from your registry. :ok:

Chitty's Leader
18th Aug 2005, 17:06
That was quick! Thank you very much for your responses. I will follow them to the Tee when I have more time! Hope they're not too complicated!

In response to your question, I have absolutely no idea when it installed or where it came from. The computer it is installed upon, is in constant use 24/7 by a number of people.
Perhaps I should beef up the security a bit. It is such a bloody nuisance!

Thanks once again.
CL.