PDA

View Full Version : Gyms with "Corporate" Discount in the Smoke

Large Dave
18th Aug 2005, 08:28
Hello chaps,

I'm shortly to be posted in Town and, although I'm destined to fly aircraft with not under-used catering facilities, I think it might be an idea to get down the gym occasionally. I don't want to pay full-on London prices however.
The Armed Forces Discount Brochure proved fruitless, but does anyone currently doing time at Main Building etc know of any cheap deals going? I'm going to be at a secret tube station in the Knightsbridge area (Beags might know it), and living-out so Uxbridge facilities not a player.

Dave.

BEagle
18th Aug 2005, 09:43
Not working full-time at the secret tube station, surely?

Uxbridge to South Kensington on the Piccadilly Line, then a fast walk - or if you need more exercise, use the Metrpolitan to Baker Street then the Jubilee to Green Park and walk from there.

What's a 'gym'?

teeteringhead
18th Aug 2005, 11:58
I think you'll find that some of the more central MoD buildings (Main etc) have their own gyms which you should be able to use.

Haven't served in town for a while (thank ****) so best ask mates who are there currently .... not that multi-mates would know where or what (as BEags has shewn) gymnasia are ....

BEagle
18th Aug 2005, 13:36
Gymnasium (auf Deutsch) means 'grammar school'. Now, were I to lurk furtively about outside one of those waiting for the 6th Form girls to come out, I would probably be hauled off to clink. And quite rightly so too, at my age!

Hence a good excuse for avoiding 'gymnasia' like the plague!

Michael Edic
18th Aug 2005, 23:21
Dave is in much need of a gym, especially one that offers phallus weights.

Dave suggest you engage in moving tables up and down the stairs, will help your gut and biceps.

Two's in
19th Aug 2005, 02:32
Large Dave, you probably know this, but civvie Gym memberships are the most lucrative method of separating hard working chaps from the contents of their wallets ever devised. It relies totally on human frailty, in that having paid the gross national debt of Guatemala to join (usually for a minimum of a year) the mental aberration clears itself, you eventually realize that alcohol and excessive sex are the secret to inner fulfillment, and you stop attending the gym, with zero refund when you leave. There must be more spivs driving around on the ill-gotten gains of lapsed gym memberships that you can shake a stick at. Don't do it, let them earn their money like everyone else has to.

fat albert
19th Aug 2005, 05:37
Cycle in to work! S'what i did - Uxbridge to Main Bdg, twenty odd miles in about 1hr 20. Faster than the tube, gets you fit and wakes you up fairly sharpish too. Not particularly dangerous as the place is so gridlocked the traffic can't go fast enough to hurt ya! :ok:

BEagle
19th Aug 2005, 06:57
Although the Secret Tube Station closed to passengers back in 1934, it used to be possible to get down to the platforms, although it's all locked up nowadays. The brief was to wear and old flying suit and to take a large ball of string and torch!

When they widened the Brompton Road in the early 1970s (can't remember the exact date), unfortunately the best part of the building was demolished. This was The Gladstone, where I quaffed the odd pint or two. It was also used by quite a few of the luvvies who used the Drill Hall for rehearsals, and the odd autographed photo or two adorned the walls.

Whilst the walk down to the platform and back might have helped Big Dave's jockstrappery, a few sherbets in The Glad' would have ruined all the effort!

exvicar
19th Aug 2005, 08:49
LA Fitness has a discounted rate. Pretty sure there are a fair few LA Fitness Gyms in the 'smoke'.

Large Dave
19th Aug 2005, 09:33
That piano is on borrowed time, I'm surprised it lived through the 70th cocktail party. As has been proved, it goes down stairs a whole lot easier than it goes up, so getting the badboy on the roof so it can meet with its firey end will probably take a lot of beer power and/or strength. Best we start getting massive in the gym then.

"Your chequebook, my office. Oh, and don't forget your hat."

DICKY the PIG
19th Aug 2005, 16:55
Isn't gymnasia putting old buggers out of their misery? ...........Beags..........:E

BEagle
21st Aug 2005, 10:49
Perhaps if it involved surrendering to the attention of a succession of voluptuous 6th form girls it might?

Personally, the concept of 'yoofenasia' - putting down sulking little chavs who mug old ladies, throw bricks at people and steal their property - has a distinct appeal.

Jimlad
21st Aug 2005, 11:28
Two options I can think of.

Firstly the MB gym is pretty good, free to military personnel and with an excellent range of lunchtime classes (does anyone else from this board frequent them perchance?). Secondly there is a gym in Tottenham Court Road area which gives free access to RAF / RN personnel on production of an ID card. I've used it before but can't remember the name.

The Rocket
21st Aug 2005, 15:01
Fitness First also gives a discounted rate for serving personnel also, certainly the Lincolnshire ones do, but could not vouch for all.

Still, got to be worth asking, £25 per month as opposed to £39

RubiC Cube
22nd Aug 2005, 16:48
A few years ago there was a swimming pool about 250 yds south of Victoria Station where the fee was £100 pa or £11 per month. Used to go most lunchtimes. Very good value and excellent eye candy.

Dan Winterland
23rd Aug 2005, 03:48
Actually BEagle, the word gymnasium is derived form the ancient Greek word 'gymnos' which means nudity! The 'gymnosium' was where ancient greek atheletes trained - in the nude!!!!!

Want to hang around those? :oh: