PDA

View Full Version : Saa

iflysky
18th Aug 2005, 02:05
Hello, I am sure this has been asked a million times, but is SAA actualy hiring off-the-street pilots as of 2005 ? What are the real minimums as opposed to the ones posted on the SAA website? And if anyone has been hired, what is the interview all about - written tests, sim eval, medicals and so on ?

No flame-bait please.
Thanks for any info.

Gunship
18th Aug 2005, 06:58
Lo iflysky,

I see nobody has answered you yet and just to get you in the right mind-set.

Affirmative action is the word at SAA. So non-white and female is the attention grabber.

If you are American - sorry mate - do not even try.

Just my pence worth to not put you under false pretences.

(Anybody pse correct me if I am wrong)

Cheers,

Gunsss

iflysky
18th Aug 2005, 13:05
I am also a South African citizen, but I was wondering if anybody at all went through the process. Everybody seems on complaining about affirmitive action and so on, however are there any real caucasian males out there that have been hired by them? They have their mins posted on there website - surely somebody got in?
I am currently employed here in the States for a good regional on the E-145, but alway wanted to give at a shot at SAA. Seems like they had their mins up for a while, which means that they need pilots. I do not believe that the only thing they look at is skin or gender.

Thanks for any info.

Solid Rust Twotter
18th Aug 2005, 14:18
Scuttlebutt is that SAA are looking at taking on Kenyan, Zambian, Nigerian and pilots from other African countries to avoid having to hire white faces.:(

So far only a rumour so you'll have to make up your own mind. Why not just apply and see what happens?

goaround7
18th Aug 2005, 14:53
Know a white female who went through entire process last year:

Six interviews with various folk, from HR to Captains (three at a time) to company directors, and psych evaluation. Last test was sim ride on 747. Practise if you can - she did and said it was still hard. They will fail an engine; you have to say which one without looking at instruments - harder than it sounds on sim.

Then you hear nothing but an acknowledgement when you send an updated CV. Not allowed by labour law to tell you where you might be falling short because if you fix it, they are bound to give you the job and they can't tell you you qualify either for the same reason.

Every now and then they change the system, somehow and you have to send in all your hours etc. again together with new copies of everything.

Strong rumour from very good source inside - over 25 and forget it as they believe they won't get back the money they 'invest' in your training. Been working in USA looks bad too.

They are impressed with West African weather experience but don't put any copilot time on single crew aircraft (eg Caravan when flying two crew) in the front of your log book. If you must put it in, put it in the back. And don't log whole flights as IFR; only the actual IF time on the departure and approach. Having more IF time this way than their training Captains gets up their noses.

Some older high jet time guys got in last year but were told they were there to babysit up and coming black captains and they would never sit left ...

Speed Managed
18th Aug 2005, 15:25
IFLYSKY

If I can try to answer your question.

Technically SAA is still employing white male pilots. But ONLY when they cannot find any suitable affirmative candidates to fill their requirements!
Its been a while since I went through the selection process (8 years), so I am not sure of todays "minimum" requirements, but I do fly with new white P3s who seem to have the same sort of experience as you.

I am sure you would be considered "IF" SAA could not forfill its requirements with Affirmative pilots.
The question is why would you want to?! Surely your future and prospects are far better in the US and where you are now!

At the moment (thanks to our union SAAPA) our conditions of employment are relatively good, however who knows for how long, and you will probably face a delay to get a command!
At the moment there is a SAA "Black Pilots Forum" (some of them cadets!) trying to jump on the band wagon of "the previously disadvantaged"/affirmative action agenda, and jump ahead of their fellow white collegues to a quick command. Which could mean a further delay in your command. At the moment without the "previously disadvantaged group`s" efforts we are looking at +- 12 years to command. So who knows.
I would say your future is far more certain where you are now and in the US! That is unless you desperately want to live in SA!

Hope i`ve answered your question.

iflysky
19th Aug 2005, 20:24
Thanks to everybody that have replied. Started to get a more accurate view of SAA. I will put in my app. anyway, who knows maybe luck will stike.

Fly safe
Thanks

saywhat
20th Aug 2005, 13:56
I just looked at a list from the A340 pool of P3's. If 17 out of 81 is total affirmative action, then that's where we stand. I would highly advise that you apply, as the only thing that is guarenteed is that if you don't apply, you wont get the job. If you are fortunate enough to get in, it is an absolutely great place to work. Do not listen to a word that is written here, as it is a "RUMOUR" network!!!!!

Spetsnaz
20th Aug 2005, 16:11
The latest news is that European South African females will also soon become a rare species amongst the SAA family. The definition for 'disadvantaged' may be changed to exclude this group.