PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Tyres

Zulu
30th Jul 2000, 14:49
Some questions for you...

Aircraft Tyres:
Why don't we use solid tyres?
Is it just for weight reasons?
Are pneumatic tyres much more "comfortable" in terms of shock absorption?
Are all aircraft tyres filled with Nitrogen? (Is that because it is inert and non-combustable?)

Mice
30th Jul 2000, 14:58
Probably don't use solid tyres because the modern jet would need dozens of them to give an adequate runway loading.
Pneumatic tyres are cetainly better than solids for shock absorbtion.
Generally, only tyres at high pressure need Nitrogen filling, however, saying that, many companies with small aircraft use nitrogen also. Yes, it is for the inert properties of nitrogen.

------------------
When all else fails, read the manual!

mriya225
30th Jul 2000, 15:13
Zulu,
Aircraft tires are required to withstand landing speeds of 250mph as well as static and dynamic loads of 22 and 33 tons repectively - I'm not sure you could create a solid tire that would be of much absorbtion value under those conditions. There is, of course, the weight to consider (even filled with nitrogen, they're heavier than you might imagine) but aside from that, when the tires are inflated correctly they're better able to flex and keep heat build up to a minimum.

------------------
It's cute, but...where are the fifth and sixth engines?

Grubbykev
30th Aug 2000, 07:43
Zulu, I think that for years we have been sold a pup. Aircraft tyres could be made from solid materials. Just think of it an aircraft tyre made from liquorice, if you landed in a remote area without any food you could eat the tyres! Wake up & smell the coffe boys it's a wind up! At least I hope so. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif :) http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif;

------------------
So many brake packs, so little time. (:¬(

[This message has been edited by Grubbykev (edited 30 August 2000).]

trapper
5th Sep 2000, 03:51
grubbykev! How could you suggest such a thing? Surely it is obvious that flying would be safer if the tyres were made of solid concrete and the runways were made of inflated rubber!