PDA

View Full Version : Does BlueTooth require WinXP SP2?

Smurfjet
17th Aug 2005, 21:07
I just got a dongle with the software and there is not much info in the help file, but I remember reading that SP2 is required for BT on WinXP, is this true?

Buttino
17th Aug 2005, 22:15
Bluetooth support is included with SP2

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2netwk.mspx

goates
17th Aug 2005, 22:23
WinXp SP2 does include support for Bluetooth, but does not contain support for the full range of Bluetooth services. Things like using a BT headset don't work without installing 3rd party drivers. The Widcomm (spelling may be off) are pretty and come with many BT products.

If the dongle has software for it, it's probably best to use it.

goates

Conan the Librarian
17th Aug 2005, 22:53
maybe a daft Q, but why are you not running SP2 already? If you are unsure of your OS pedigree, then still try updates. If it doesn't like it, it will tell you. (If you purchased your machine second hand, etc.etc.)

Nearly every update you make nowadays, will asume that SP2 is in place, so it is certainly worth thinking about.

Conan

Smurfjet
17th Aug 2005, 23:15
Buttino, thanks for the link.

goates, I used the drivers and software provided on the CD that came with the dongle, the only problem is that windows does not have the BT icon in the control panel, thus it seems other software will not work with it. Basically the provided drivers work with the software provided (BlueSoleil).

Conan, something along the line of it ain't broke don't fix it :rolleyes: And the time required to do all the setup etc...I guess its time to install that SP2 now ;)

Buttino
18th Aug 2005, 07:59
SmurfJet - XP is effectively broken without SP2, it's fixes so many holes.