PDA

View Full Version : Concorde at MAN

littlemisschatterbox
17th Aug 2005, 20:26
I was just wondering whether anybody knows when a hangar is being built for G-BOAC at MAN?

Thank-you.

missioncontrol
18th Aug 2005, 11:58
Leaving it outside will lead to deterioration by corrosion/oxidation.

Whilst the aicraft was in service, the kinetic heating experienced by the airframe in flight, meant that corrosion was not a serious issue.

Granted, the Concorde at Duxford has sat outside for a number of years, but I think it has /will be moved inside to the new hangar, to prevent further deterioration after exposure to the elements.

Anyone who has seen the Concorde at LHR from up close will have seen a gradual change in its appearance since its grounding.

Hoping that all are moved indoors soon so that they are preserved for the future.

zarniwoop
18th Aug 2005, 14:53
The Concorde at Duxford was moved into the corner of hangar 1 some time ago, about five years back if I remember, so is well protected from the elements. A pity they don't have space for some of the other heavys which are looking a little worse for wear.

Z

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
19th Aug 2005, 07:37
The Concorde at Duxford was outside on Saturday when I drove past and looked as if it had for a while

I take it can have a selant put over the aircraft to prevent damp getting but I guess that it`s the damp that is already in that could cause the damage over the years

G-I-B

Inverted81
19th Aug 2005, 08:05
Yep, concorde is outside at duxford for the time being, as the main hangar is currently being gutted for total refurbishment and modernisation... looking at the plans it'll be going back inside with the vulcan and a whole foray of aircraft once the work is complete... when i get back later i'll post some piccies of the EGLL concorde and the Duxford one so you can see what the weather does to these beautiful aircraft.... :ugh:

Duxford Airspace Hangar (http://www.airspaceduxford.org.uk/html/tour.htm)

gordonroxburgh
19th Aug 2005, 18:43
Plans are at an advanced stage for MAN to build a hangar for Concorde.

Rather than the all singing all dancing structure, its likely to be a structure that can be re-located should the airport ever expand, similar to what is used at Le Bourget. That has got rigid structure but a PVC (like the dome) covering over the top.

MerchantVenturer
19th Aug 2005, 20:31
Plans are at an advanced stage for MAN to build a hangar for Concorde.
I wish those responsible for G-BOAF at Filton would take note.

AF is in the open on the edge of the airfield with public access available only by prior booking. It has an unhappy history with one spectator falling to his death from a viewing gangway last year and public access being closed for many weeks. It is now open again.

There is an enthusiastic group that wants to incorporate AF as the centrepiece of a Bristol Aero collection but I feel their enthusiasm is getting the better of reality. They admit they need at least £30 million for the purpose and have only recently thought about forming an organisation that is capable of bidding for lottery money.

I wish they would take a more pragmatic stance and liaise with Bae at Filton, the local authority and anyone else prepared to help in order to get a cover over AF because a grand aero museum may only be a pipedream. If they don't, I fear this beautiful machine will languish in the open air for years to come.

Inverted81
20th Aug 2005, 08:44
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b321/cfleet/conc.jpg

The lady at EGLL.... doesn't look too bad in the picture, but was looking pretty grubby. Apparently she's full to the brim with skyport papers for ballast since they remove the insides of her.....

mfaff
20th Aug 2005, 10:41
XN was outside at Duxford from her arrival until the building of the Superhanger (Hanger 1 which is being converted in theh AirSpace Museum).

The Superhanger was built with restroation of the large airframes in mind.. as the the B-52, Concorde and the Vuclan have all had major restorative work carried out whilst inside.

Conocrde and the Vuclan will be relocated in the AirSpace Museum once its ready...the B-52 is in the AAM.

The airframes do degrade whilst outside but the rate is relatively slow seeing as they are desitned to remain grounded the damage is not necessarily terminal... the XB-70 remianed outside at Wright Patterson for 18 years before going inside...

gordonroxburgh
20th Aug 2005, 19:43
We would all like the airframes under cover, but history has shown that for medium term 10-20 years, storage outside if properly looked after is not a big issue.

The guardians of the BA aircraft all have great teams working on the aircraft, and with the knowledge from DAS who have been looking after 01 for 25 years, everyone is wise to the issues and not one person looking after an aircraft will allow it to deteriorate.

In Defence of the chaps at Filton, prior booking is required as the exhibit is simply that popular. the 30M figure is based on a full heritage centre, so to get Concorde undercover is a fraction of that amount. The revenue streams coming from the attraction will allow the aircraft to be eventually moved inside. The aircraft is actually under official guardianship to Airbus - UK, who have the facilities and resources to look after it.

G-BOAB at LHR is washed every 2 months. and regularly checked by engineering staff. it is planned for a full check on her to be carried out in a hangar before the winter, she was painted before she went on display.

littlemisschatterbox
21st Aug 2005, 21:13
Thank-you all for your replies.

Personally speaking I hope they get a hangar soon at Manchester, so as to extend the longevity of an Aircraft that has brought so much joy to many throughout the years.