PDA

View Full Version : Can you say...leverage?!

mriya225
18th Oct 2000, 08:56
Talk about a 'mechanical advantage'....
http://www.usatoday.com/usatonline/20001017/2755430s.htm

This pretty clearly signals the time to stand together and hold out for better pay, benefits, hours, etc.

------------------
Patience is letting your motor idle when you feel like stripping your gears.

sprocket
18th Oct 2000, 15:46
myria,
definately food for thought. Where I work, there are regular shortages of maint. personel.
I guess it won't be long before there is
no one left to pay!

redtail
18th Oct 2000, 18:20
Pretty good article, and a common theme all year in the trade magazines. I like the mention about the decline in experience and quality in the workforce.

I hope my union can break the mold. Follow us, go AMFA.

H721
19th Oct 2000, 15:07
will the last one leaving (our industry) pls turn the light off.

------------------
Not much of an engineer

Maint99
23rd Oct 2000, 07:57
Definitely a problem developing here. With the lure of higher pay in the high tech industries, one could expect a migration of avionics people into this market. Top pay where I work is around $50,000 (CDN). Long hours (12 hr shifts) and screwy schedules are beginning to take their toll on my poor body (which isn't getting any younger,ya know).

Another prob is not necessarily a lack of people, but lack of experienced people. More and more apprentices, and fewer senior engineers is a formula for a bad scene. The airlines have to start realizing that in order to keep the experienced folks around, they have to make the salary more attractive. Unfortunately, the flight crews usually get their contracts enhanced first, with the result being that the company tells us there is no money left for other bargaining units. Yeah...whatever!

There... said enough, going to get off my soapbox now. May climb back on it later!!

--------------------------------------------

"You want it on the gate for when??"

mriya225
23rd Oct 2000, 11:47
Hello all, :)
I think recent agreements with pilots' unions have sated the "flightcrew compensation" beast for a while. I guarantee that as experience begins to leave the field en mass - management will start biting their nails and trip over themselves to sweeten the deal for maintenance crews; it's basic supply & demand.
As I see it - the true test now is how well we can remain cohesive, and staunchly bargain for what we're worth--rather than agree to a lesser compensation package and get pissed off about it later. That kind of resentment only feeds the general apathy that mechanics typically exhibit when it comes to rallying behind our own cause.
The days of "rebel without a cue or clue" have got to end if there's any hope of raising the compesatory standard industry wide.
We are a tough lot - now we need to work on being a more savvy when it comes to tactful (but iron-willed) negotiations.

------------------
Patience is letting your motor idle when you feel like stripping your gears.

redtail
23rd Oct 2000, 16:01
It also helps that if you want professional pay rates, act professional. The union we had before failed to stress this.

Expect to see a few changes in the industry. Follow us, go AMFA.