PDA

View Full Version : strange to me

aeroguru
30th Jul 2000, 04:12
It puzzles me that some airlines of EEC and also JAR signatories are giving JAR66 licences with the basic qualification of holding an FAA/USA license!
Once again,like euro2000,the only thing we are likely to win is the fair play league.
Any comment from CAA and ALAE would be welcome.

near enuf is good enuf
1st Aug 2000, 10:29
I'm working on the continent at the moment, the locals here don't have a licensing system only company approval and have been told that the company will GET them the 66 license.
Most of Europe have the same system except us poor fools of G.B. and Ireland!!!!!!!!

------------------
So that you may not be the martyred slaves of Time,
get drunk, get drunk,
and never pause for rest!
With wine, poetry, or vitrtue,
as you choose!"

tripfree
1st Aug 2000, 17:18
I was horrified to read this considering all the work being done by UK Engineers to get this licence.Maybe the CAA could comment.Surely there must be someone from that organisation reading this?

nilnotedtks
1st Aug 2000, 18:43
After watching 2 of my colleagues fail the modules for this accursed licence, I have decided that I will be sitting back now until the CAA wake up or like the continentals, it is given to me free of charge and effort !Nearly 30 years in the game and I am still expected to sit exams for a licence I already hold. Not likely !

1st Aug 2000, 20:24
Think you'll have along wait trying to get any freebies from the CAA.I've already seen several colleagues shell out so guess this sets the trend! Also find the thought of sitting exams for licences I hold a nonsense.

kitePhixer
1st Aug 2000, 23:47
It seems that you UK guys has problems converting your licence to a JAR-66 licence. I can inform you that here in Norway we can convert our existing ICAO Type II (MII) licence to a JAR-66 licence by filling out a form (and pay a fee of course).

The ICAO Type II (MII) licence gives "rights" similar to the UK A&C (I think), which means that you can sign the CRS for complete aircraft.

I have been working for the Norwegian CAA as an Airworthiness Inspector for 10 years so I know the rules and regulations quite well. I have also discussed this item with the guys in the CAA licence department and it is clear that no-one will "loose" any "rights", this is called "grandfather rights" by the JAA, and no additional tests are required.

The ICAO Type II licence will be "traded in" for a JAR-66 licence with B1+B2+type rating.

This will probably not help you UK guys but I think it is strange that the UK CAA is so stringent in this matter as the JAR-66 in my opinion is very "British" in itself and obviously the UK CAA has had a great impact on the outcome of the JAR-66 regulation. Therefore they should accept it with minor problems. But it is a fact the British licensing system is far more complex than the system we have had in Scandinavia.

Regards and best of luck.

aeroguru
2nd Aug 2000, 15:09
An authority giving a JAR license with the basic qualification of having that country's
own license seems fair to me.But isn't FAA/USA a non JAR signatory??
And anyway,how do you get FAA if you are not working US reg AIRCRAFT?

aeroguru
6th Aug 2000, 20:46
Oh yes and tripfree-quote from recent CAA licensing newsletter.
"THAT IS A MATTER FOR THAT STATE".

spannersatcx
6th Aug 2000, 23:21
aeroguru why not send the ALAE an e-mail it can be found at their website at http://www.lae.mcmail.com
the site has just been updated today with the latest issue of Tech Log

LBMF
8th Aug 2000, 23:55
It is strange that so many A&C’s have always boasted about holding Avionics extension, yet when faced with a defect have not done too much to fix anything & now you have to sit an exam on BASIC electrics you kick up such a fuss. Was it just the approval money you were after?

It'll sort out the men from the boys.

near enuf is good enuf
9th Aug 2000, 15:28
LBMF,
And once they have it and being payed for it,
I'll be damned if I'll be doing their ELEC work!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
So that you may not be the martyred slaves of Time,
get drunk, get drunk,
and never pause for rest!
With wine, poetry, or vitrtue,
as you choose!"

spannersatcx
9th Aug 2000, 23:26
LBMF, I guess it depends who you do your ext E with, I have spoken to a few guys at some some of the UK charter carriers who say that they did an ext e for a 320 that was something like 2 days of training. To me that is ridiculously short. For instance at CX the AnC courses include the ext E whereas at BA say the 744 course was 8 weeks the CX course is 12, if doing ext E seperately it is 3.5 weeks. I'm not saying that we're experts because of that but we do have a far greater understanding of that side of things. We have to because at our outports there are only AnC guys (gals) with ext E, we don't have certifying Avionics people. And when faced with a defect there is NO one else so we do have to fix it. Also we don't get any extra money by having the ext E.