View Full Version : CAA to JAA fATPL... should I bother???

pleiades
17th Aug 2005, 10:36
Hey all yall ppruners!
Im a kiwi whos just finished the Batchelor of aviation at massey in NZ, got my fATPL and a degree, got 250hrs and my MEIR.
Here is the interesting bit, I also have an irish passport. I Love europe (more the equipment than the weather) and was wondering if (and if so, how) I should go about getting and then paying the 10,000 squid to convert over from CAA to the JAA.

Is it worth the hastle?
Are there jobs galore over there at the moment?
Should i sell my soul to X-airline as there is no other way?
Or, should i just go the australasian route and slog it out in the antipodies?

Any input would be greatly appretiated.:D :confused:

angelorange
17th Aug 2005, 10:46
Suggest you get some more hours. Stay current.

Either as an instructor or something like Flying Doctors in Auz - say around 500 - 1500 hrs and keep applying to airlines.

JAR is v expensive - but why not go on hols to Eire and see if you like it - whilst there knock on some airline doors

Otherwise try MAF or other relief flying organisations like AirServ if you are single and willing to fly in rougher places.

all the best!

pleiades
17th Aug 2005, 10:57
thank you! i love eire! magical place.
hours and currency seem to be the word of the day and believe me, ill do my best.
definitely "single and willing to fly in rougher places", but need (want) to motor through the ranks so i can build my excecutive transport empire of sexy gulfstream IVs and citation Xs' before retiring at 45!!!!!
well..... thats the goal!
the plans a little more down to earth, but i had ssumed the brits had a recruitment program and would take low houred, commited pilots with a relevant degree to back it up. just looking for the best direction and path to stick my nose in.
your comment is greatly appretiated.