PDA

View Full Version : Bonding

TwoDeadDogs
27th Jul 2000, 11:13
Hello,all.
Are there any bonding schemes out there,after a company gives a guy a course? Is it like the bonding applied to the jockies?
regards
TDD

somefokker
27th Jul 2000, 12:25
Hello TwoDeadDogs,

Yes there are bonding schemes out there. Typical sbhemes are that you are bonded for 1 year from the date your course started or 1 year from the date you pick up the approval on the type. Be prepared to be bonded at a rate of about £200 per day of training. Average course length is six to eight weeks.
I believe the bonding scheme in Emirates is quite severe, you are bonded for something like three years.
The big debate is whether or not bonding is legal. The official stance seems to be that it is illegal for a company to bond you, but if you sign a bond then you have entered into a binding contract with that company.
Interestingly enough B.A. don't bond their engineers because of the legal thing but I believe they bond their Cadet Pilots. At one time a huge percentage of the guys who had 777 course were resigning at the end of the course and going to Emirates. Bonding of pilots seems to be very common.
I have heard of guys who have skipped off without paying back their bonds, but this is a very small industry and you don't want ghosts like that following you around.
Hope this helps,
SomeFokker

Blacksheep
29th Jul 2000, 15:46
1. Training Bonds are common on expatriate contracts.

2. In countries with a legal system based on 'English Law', courts are reluctant to enforce bonding because the legal principles and precedents go back to the abolition of slavery. Most companies therefore produce training bonds in the form of a training contract which the courts WILL enforce under the principles and precedents covering apprenticeship articles. In other words, training bonds are usually legally binding, so beware.

Through difficulties to the cinema

Bus429
29th Jul 2000, 23:51
Personally, I have no problem with the concept of a bond. Courses cost a fortune and there is nothing worse than doing a course and then leaving. Most companies will not enforce a bond if you talk it over or leave/have to leave for personal reasons (health etc.)

4Rvibes
30th Jul 2000, 16:04
Some companies bond some don't. If the company you work for give you a manufacturers course I think it would be reasonable to stick with that organisation for a decent time, 1 year seems appropriate, as the cost incurred by the company is quite large.
If,on the other hand, all you are given is an in-house type course, forget it. These are invariabily quick and watered down versions of a good course to get an engineer qualified quickly and the CAA should approve none of them.
QED A company approval sucks, don't be bonded to one.

somefokker
1st Aug 2000, 00:55
Re Manufacturers Courses.
If you are lucky enough to get a manufacturers course, then it is probably one of the "free" ones that the operator gets when he buys a new type of aircraft. I'm not sure I would want to be bonded for a course that didn't cost the airline anything in the first place.

Blacksheep
2nd Aug 2000, 15:56
For comparison, our company bond one year for short courses, three years for type courses (in-house OR manufacturer) and TEN years for an apprenticeship!

Through difficulties to the cinema

Bus429
2nd Aug 2000, 22:08
Some courses cost an absolute fortune and I cannot blame a company for trying to recoup that outlay. However, I have only been asked to pay for a course once. That was in the days of FFV. When I left they tried to sting for a course in MAN followed by OJT in Jo'burg (it was great!)and the expenses incurred. I pointed out that the bond only stated that course costs would be sought, not incidentals. They gave in to that. However, whilst employed by FFV, I had a tool chest nicked. The resultant insurance cheque was sent to the chief accountant. He sat in his office, showed the cheque to me and said "you get this cheque when you write me one for £750". They had me slit up a treat.

TwoDeadDogs
6th Aug 2000, 19:47
Thanks for the gen,lads
TDD

JetFixer
6th Aug 2000, 23:44
Bonding is something most of us have to live with.

I is a ridiculous situation the company needs to train us to work on their aircraft we should not be indebted to them for that.

If terms and conditions in said company were good then nobody would leave after gaining their approvals.