PDA

View Full Version : Living in Tanzania

ktownkid
16th Aug 2005, 15:02
Hi there,

What would one look at for living expenses in Arusha/Dar for renting a house (3 bedroom), utilities, purchasing a decent car(4dr sedan), reasonable quantities of the local brew, food and any other expenses you think I missed? How is the availability of housing typically in Jan/Feb?

I am trying to establish a realistic budget for when we move over there so I am looking at the cost of some of the major expenses.

Any info is much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

ansonmk1
16th Aug 2005, 17:00
Greetings and salutations from TZ.
Living in the center of the country 200km south of Lake Vic.
Our prices may be a little high for freight carried in by truck, train etc.

Roughly 1100 /- TZ to the US dollar.

Four bedroom house, Main en suite.
No baths but steamy heaters on shower heads.
Covered park for two cars. Nice compound with 32 big trees,50m x 50m Tanesco power, Town water and own well with electric pump.

Rental $280 pm.
Water account fixed pm at 8000/-
Electricity (using one A/C when very warm around 30000/-pm
Diesel per liter 1150/-
Our VX land cruiser cost us $14000 in Jan this year. You can get a good pajero or a car Mark II for $3000 to $4000s.
Meat African styled panga hack jobs at 2500/- per kg.
Veggies around 500/- per kg, all sorts.
We have an abandance of Chinese, and Indian goods available cheap, and all will eventually let you down. Genuine British made plumbing, and kitchen ware (The real thing) as opposed to the cheap editions, will all eventually let you down. Genuine Toyota spares,(The real thing) as opposed to the cheap editions,will all eventually let you down. Ad Finitem.
Beware the dreaded Real Thing.
Tinned food a tad expensive, 2000/2500/- a can for lots of different products. Marge,butter similar a 250gm pack.
It costs us about $1000 to $1500 a month to live reasonable.This includes cell phones and fuel. Maids at 50000/- pm, and two overnight guards at 160000/- pm without arms. Our garden boy who also does security in the day 60000/-pm
Cell calls around 280/350 per minute. sms's cheaper.
Internet about 500 to 1000 per hour. We have our own Sat link, full time on at $500 for 3 months via Iway Africa in Dar and or NBO.
Lot of Governmental stuff cheap,i.e P.O.Box etc, but overall its not that wonderfully inexpensive at the end of the day.

Power and water supplies intermittent, we have a diesel and petrol genny 2.5 and 5.5 kva.
Heat and dust where we are incredible. Mosquito's bad.Have lots of Doom or Raid anti bug spray around the house, Make sure you have screen doors, and windows. We have had a few scorpions, and othe uglies in the house, but wouldnt say its the norm, our own fault.
Medicne cheap as no taxes, however try to get western stuff if you can, overall its better. Limited medical aid, and many unqualified personell, i.e Lawyers with a BA.LLS (failed) BS (Bull Sh-t) MS (More Sh-t) and PHd Piled High and deep. Muzungu ( White man) doctor at the Sea Cliff pharmacy Dar, above the supermarket, next to the Spur restaurant and Fish Mongers, understands hes a good'un. Always be carefull, especially in the evenings if you are waiting for the gates to be opened, or parked in the dark. While there is not the excellent standards of crime prevelant in TZ as in SA its becoming a problem, as it developed in KQ. Overall OK, make a habit of observing all the nature around you, its a wonderfull pastime.
Hope that helps,

ktownkid
16th Aug 2005, 17:35
Thanks for the good info. I did live in Kenya for a little while a couple of years ago but never got involved with the costs of everything there as the company generously took care of it all, except for food and beer, so this is helpful.

ShenziRubani
16th Aug 2005, 21:56
If you live in Arusha, don't go for the sedan, you will need a 4x4. you'd get too bored too fast with a sedan. Cost of the car would go from $4,000 to $20,000 for a 4x4 that won't give you too much trouble. Sold my VX LandCruiser $17,000 when I left, but it was in very good condition.
Cost of rent, for a house with 3br goes from $500/months to $2,000/month.

Over all, you will need to make a minimum of $2,000/month but $3,000 is better.

Cost of life is high and rising, especially with the price of oil.

406pilot
17th Aug 2005, 16:44
its a very expensive place and lots of crazy flying..if you have seen air america the movie its similar minus the bullets...some of the pilots actually went hunting with a c-206 and did manage to kill a few girraffe's in the process...no nyama choma though...its all gud fun ..

you were warned,

keep it up there fellows,

no more 406pilot

Zedd
17th Aug 2005, 20:13
Arusha is not cheap but great fun! Dont be put off by the high price of things. It is possible to live pretty cheaply. You dont have to buy a VX though it seems that is vehicle of choice for all the other pilots on this site! What are you coming to do here? The flying is crazy sometimes.... but then... so are the pilots by all accounts.

ktownkid
17th Aug 2005, 21:02
Thanks Fellas for the replies. I am coming back over in Jan looking for work as a pilot.(1800 tt -1500 f/o multi-turbine) Having worked in Loki/NBO for over 2 years I have some idea of the wonders and beauty that east Africa has to offer as well as the craziness that sometimes happens in african aviation. It stills has its surprises on a regular basis from some of the stuff I have read here since I have been gone.

I was a little less informed on how much the living expenses (house/car) were for some items in TZ but it seems to be in the ballpark of what I thought.

I have made some inquiries about the lic conversion, but the info seems pretty straight forward, or more so than in Kenya I hope.

As one can never have too much info any further insights are appreciated and thanks again b/c I know you guys get these types of questions quite often but things change so current info is welcomed.

goaround7
28th Aug 2005, 13:59
from a friend in Dar:

DAR

House: USD 2,500-3,000 per month
Utilities: USD 800 per month
Car: USD 5,000 - 8,000 per month (need a four whell drive in DAR)

ShenziRubani
30th Aug 2005, 22:15
goaround7 is pretty right with his prices, of course the cost of the car is not per month.

ktownkid, wow, you got a twin-turbine job at 300 TT. Pretty lucky dude, Have you been doing a lot of solo/single pilot flying over the bush since?

RICCARDOVOLANTE
31st Aug 2005, 13:58
ktownkid,
just look out when look for a job in Tanzania ,not too many operators that I can suggest you to fly with ,over there.
Sincerely
Riccardo Volante
PS if you want I can give you a "BLACK" list of operators in Tanzania not to go.

ktownkid
31st Aug 2005, 14:04
You are right Shenzi, there was a little luck involved. I started the flying career a little later in life than most and was fortunate to meet some great people and they gave me an opportunity in Kenya which I really enjoyed. As far as the flying goes now, the career took a little hiatus when my wife and I came back to Canada to have a baby and I played Mr Mom. Managed to stay current with the IFR and everything and do a little flying on the side in singles but we are both looking to get back to East Africa and continue the adventure (even more so now with a 2yr old).

Thanks again everyone for the replies and pm's with some helpful info on the aviation scene there.

Fly Safe fellas

4granted
1st Sep 2005, 07:37
Who remembers the days of the late Cliff Cameron and his antics with 206's.

Any out come as to the rumours of his suicide?

4g

flyingmasai
2nd Sep 2005, 12:03
When I left, his wife was in jail I bielieve for her husband murder.
I do not know if she has been convicted.

ShenziRubani
2nd Sep 2005, 18:52
Oh oh guys, Flying Masai, you are digging into some bad stories here. I remeber very well Cliff and his planes. Was there when he shot himself, went to his funeral and lived in Aruisha during the freakin drama around his wife's trial. Of course she was acquitted but after spending almost 6 months in jail. The town was divided in two hating groups, the "she's gilty led by the Snake Farm crowd" and the "She's not guilty" led by a Dutch gentleman and his Kiwi wife.
she wrote a book in Germany and a movie is coming out on the story. She now lives in Kenya.

Onr of our friend on this forum was one of Cliff's 206 pilots at one point.

flyingmasai
2nd Sep 2005, 19:21
Asante sana for the update!